SASS Wire Forum

Who makes Taylor's 1878 12ga SXS?

Johnny Dollar

I sent the question to them but haven't heard back yet. This is the one I'm talking about

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/shotguns/double-barrel-hammer-coach-gun.html

Perdersoli? Anyone have one? If so how do you like it?

Thanks much for your time!

-JD

The 1878 Coach gun is the Cimarron (formerly TTN), made in China. Taylors and EMF have both bought them from Cimarron and resold them. However, the link you posted is not for the '78, it is for their Wyatt Earp coach gun, which is made by Pedersoli.

Edit: Okay, after looking more closely, the one in the ad is not the Pedersoli (which is carried by both Taylors and Cimarron). It looks similar but I think that one is probably the CZ.

Yup looks like my CZ. I like mine but it needed work right out of the box to even function, but now it's like an old friend.

100_0546.jpg

Looks also like the turkish Huglu which is the basis of the Pedersoli. Good gun but needs some action job.

Jef

Yup looks like my CZ. I like mine but it needed work right out of the box to even function, but now it's like an old friend.

Thanks Chili, can you tell me what you mean by that? Wouldn't function meaning it needed to be smoothed or it had other more major problems? While I haven't seen a gun yet that doesn't like to be smoothed, I'd hope for the money they are asking it would be fairly minor.

Thanks Chili, can you tell me what you mean by that? Wouldn't function meaning it needed to be smoothed or it had other more major problems? While I haven't seen a gun yet that doesn't like to be smoothed, I'd hope for the money they are asking it would be fairly minor.

Over the years I have worked several of the boxlock and hammered CZ SXS's. My experience is they are really well done on the outside. But, the insides a terrible rough,poorly fitted and over sprung to overcome the poor fit. Always keep in mind, as much as 30% of the cost of these guns can go into the exteriors final fit and finish. But, to me that's like a custom paint job on a Hugo. Who cares if it don't run right.

BTW, this is one of my pet peeves. In the past if you had a really well finished gun you could expect the insides to be the same. It aint like that anymore.

100_0546.jpg

That's a beautiful logo you had engraved on the stock! Did you do it?

The right hammer would stick or drag and not fall after two matches. I sent it back to CZ they returned it to me "fixed". Did the same thing so I sent it back and they sent me a new gun. Second gun started the same thing after a month. Took it to a local gun smith. He said the wood was swelling in our humidity and obstructing the mechanism. He cleared out some wood and it worked good for a year then did it again. Took it back to local gunsmith he cleared out more wood and has been working good ever since...maybe 3 years.

That's a beautiful logo you had engraved on the stock! Did you do it?

Mogollon Drifter's work. http://www.oldwestlasergraphic.com

• 1 year later...

I know this topic is a year old but I've developed some interest in treating myself to a new made hammer shotgun. The low-end Chinese made guns look like they came came from a lumberyard but I really like the looks of the CZ sold by Taylors. But if the guts are soft and not well fitted, I guess I'll pass. And what's up with the stupid safety on a hammer gun?

I've got two old hammer doubles to look at now. One is a Stevens but he's not clear if it's a 215, 225, or 235. Another old cowboy shooter has a New Ithaca 12 gauge at an affordable price if it's a good sound shooter.

I was told at WR that the CZ and the Pedersoli both have the receivers made for them by Huglu. They look like they have coil mainsprings which might be a better deal as the Cimarron 1878's seem to use leftover 1965 International Harvester suspension leaf springs in them that seem to be hard to get replacements from Cimarron if one grinds them down too far to lighten the hammer pressure. I just wish the Pedersoli's/CZ's had higher/closer hammers like the 1878's.

Archived