SASS Wire Forum

8.0 Magnitude Quake off of Chile

Subdeacon Joe

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/04/02/uk-chile-earthquake-idUKBREA3100620140402

(Reuters) - A massive magnitude 8.0 earthquake on Tuesday off the coast of Chile, near the mining port of Iquique, sparked a tsunami warning for all of Latin America's Pacific coast, the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said.

"An earthquake of this size has the potential to generate a destructive tsunami that can strike coastlines near the epicentre within minutes and more distant coastlines within hours," it said.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the quake was very shallow, only 6.2 miles (10 km) below the seabed. It was cantered 53 miles (86 km) northwest of Iquique, Chile's main mining export port.

That'll get your attention.

I lived in Calif. for 47 years and I'm an Architect. When we design hospitals the science of withstanding a quake and being operational gets real fun.

My point is if you look at a fault map of "known" faults it looks like a street map. The big one is just around the corner and will be real ugly.

I now live in Nevada but it's still earthquake country or beach front property depending on the glass is half full approach.

Ike

Archived