SASS Wire Forum

Spurs question

They came with the 'berries' :lol:

spurs2_zps89db9d68.jpg

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I wish I would of have gotten a set of those when I could.

Sure are nice spurs!

When did Buckaroo spur straps come in?

With the B Western cowboys or did regular cowboys wear them back in the day?

Don't know.

I have worn spur for more than 35 years. Half of that was for work.

As my job was horse back. And the other half for riding for pleasure.

Never did use buckaroo's then.

Still don't on my spur that I ride most the time in (they are a old pair of Hall's given to me over 30 years ago)

Had a pair of spurs made for me last year. (Greg Blackwood's)

After I got them.

Decided that I would mainly use those for SASS.

So went with the buckaroo's for that. I do ride in them some also.

But after using them for awhile now.

Getting to where I like them.

Anvil I thought about a pair of buckaroos for my new set from Wimpy and Whiney, but put an old pair of porkchops that are similar to Gunner's new pair on them.

They came with the 'berries' :lol:

spurs2_zps89db9d68.jpg

Them are Sweet, GG! :wub:

Mine are on their way here, can't wait!

I'll be getting some straps from Michigan Rattler and I garantee they'll be Bling Bling! :0)

Frenchy

Buckles out - easier to put on and take off for me. And no tangles.

Good luck GJ

LOL no way, Buckles in, fat man can cross his leg an buckle em! Buckle out he B starvin fer air!

RRR

Not sure what all this buckling is.

I leave mine buckled all the time. Just put them over the boots

before you even put your boots on.

Very seldom even take them off the boots.

• 2 weeks later...

After seeing this pic I am 100% OK to wear my buckles to the outside

That's so he could double clutch speed downshift while sliding through the 170 degree turn.... :lol:

That was DA MAN!

GJ

Working cow hands (in the real world) ;) ) may put the buckle on the inside to eliminate snagging the buckle on anything the horse rubs up against.... brush, fences etc.... But the buckle on the outside is preferred by some....

I'd think it's fair to say that I qualify as one of those working cowhands. Buckles in drives me nuts, has potential to rub on the horse or at least rub on your stirrups or leathers. Personal experience tells me that the "buckle inside to avoid snagging" idea is bunk. By the time that buckle would snag, you've already snagged your toe, banged your knee, snagged the stirrup...

By design, a deep bellied spur strap like that is meant to be shown off, so buckles in. But that doesn't necessarily mean it's more functional that way. I like wearing deep bellies with the belly IN, and buckles OUT, 'cuz it protects the color of my boots a bit from sweat from the horse.

Ask any horse that's been stabbed with a buckle post just which side they belong on..... :o

+1 I love my horse and wear my buckles on the outside.

The spurs I wear in CAS I would never use on a horse. They are strictly ornamental with large spiked rowels.

The spurs I wear while sorting and penning have cloverleaf rowels and offset shanks.

I am actually getting a pair of straight up straps and having the ones I got from MR adding a concho to wear as a buckle in type when dressing a bit fancier :D Buckles outside with the regular ones. I wore the spurs last weekend and loves 'em. They certainly sing the jingle jangle.

GG

Howdy!

Solved this problem years ago, when I came across J.M. Capriola made Visalia straps; the only style I now wear!

http://capriolas.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=30&products_id=378

Both buckles AND conchos are on the outside! After all, both are solid silver (not plate or overlay) and I want them to be seen!

As for Lindholm spurs, had a set, but didn't care for the quality of the rowel ring; didn't like the material the rowel was made of, and sold them off.

Prefer the Garcia types sold by J.M. Capriola for CAS. Bring lots of money, though, if you want a set of these!

http://capriolas.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=39

I have model 238 with jingle bobs, no heel chains as I prefer a leather understrap. These are combined with floral carved Capriola Visalias, and solid silver buckles and conchos from Frank Shultz, and are used for my 1880s cowboy outfit.

(Guess I should post a picture sometime of them!)

+1 I love my horse and where my buckles on the outside.

The spurs I wear in CAS I would never use on a horse. They are strictly ornamental with large spiked rowels.

The spurs I wear while sorting and penning gave cloverleaf rowels and offset shanks.

+2

Guest Grass Range #51406

Wear the buckles on the inside. I cannot imagine how you would catch them on the skirts or the horse. Your foot and your boots have a natural cavity (for lack of a better word) on the inside where the buckle fits. I have worn mine that way riding Montana for over 60 years and from what I see here most do the same. And always use a tie-down on them so they stay down on the heel shelf. Recenly I have used the vaquero type with no buckle but have to be fitted to each foot and boot.

Archived