SASS Wire Forum

Spurs question

As some of y'all know I am a proud owner of Lindholm Brothers spurs...am picking up my spur straps from Michigan Rattler this week and need to ask...buckle worn on the inside...or outside? :unsure:

These are them:

96d558c1-85a2-4979-b433-9e11b47b6400_zps

Please advise - thanks.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I wear my buckles out, if I wear them inside I get them caught on each other. Don't need to much help on looking awkward . Nice looking straps, will look good on those spurs you got.

Keep your powder dry

Shawnee

Purdy side out!!!! no other qualifiers!!!

Please Please Please wear buckles on the outside. If you wear them on inside when riding a horse you can get them tangled when mounting or dismounting. or when walking have them catch on each other. No self respecting cowboy would wear his on the inside, Would be branded a "Rexall Wrangler" by those in the know.

On a funny note, when I was coaching little league baseball I always told the catchers to buckle their shin guards on the outside for the same reason. One kid alwasy buckled his on inside. Until he was running for a pop foul, and the buckles snagged and he crashed down. the whole dugout was howling! He sure had a sheepish look on his face when he looked at me in the dugout.

OK pards - thanks for your input. I appreciate it - i remember seeing a thread about a year ago on the issue and since I didn't have spurs I never checked it out.

OUTSIDE it is ;)

Gotta say though - it's fun learnin' this stuff :D

I reckon the Cav fellers go buckle out so that's cool....

m1911_3.jpg

Technically there isn't a right or wrong way. With fancy straps like yours putting the buckle to the inside shows more leather on the outside. Working cow hands (in the real world) ;) ) may put the buckle on the inside to eliminate snagging the buckle on anything the horse rubs up against.... brush, fences etc.... But the buckle on the outside is preferred by some.... I have a rather plain pair of straps on mine and I have the buckles on the outside. Ultimately its how you like the way it looks.

EDIT: Hoss Roonwright makes excellent point for wearing on the outside!

Depends on whether yer wearin' for show or to use, (or walk). Big conchos and bling is worn on the outside, buckles in. Don't try walkin' or runnin' in those type. You'll hurt yerself! :lol:

Since there is no concho, bling, or brand I'll wear the 'hump' to the inside/ buckle outside...as mentioned this is fun learning about the reasons why for both ways. I'll be walking mostly and since I'm ain't on a horse I'm not worried about brush getting caught up the buckle it makes sense to wear the buckles 'outside'. I have a feeling this subject might bring out passionate opinions and I apologize up front for any issues that may arise on this 'political' issue :lol:

Thanks again!

I put my Buckles on the out side .

I used to have them on the inside and I was informed they were wrong . :unsure:

Not sure what the big deal is ?

Probably some thing to do with riding a horse ?

Working cow hands (in the real world) ;) ) may put the buckle on the inside to eliminate snagging the buckle on anything the horse rubs up against.... brush, fences etc....

It is a regional thing. All working cowhands here (southwest) wear the buckle out. Anyone with the buckles inside is considered a dude, but that is this area; west texas, New Mexico & Arizona.

I wear the buckles to the outside..

May not look as good to the folks lookin' at 'em :mellow:

But.. I bought 'em fer me.. and when I look down..

I see all the purty stuff.. :)

Rance ;)

Thinkin' it pleases me :)

LOL :P

Love it

Gunner, there is no set "rule" about wearing spurs. I have a dozen or more sets of spurs each with their own particular straps. When real cowboys wore spurs for what they were intended buckles, conchos, or anything sharp were worn to the ouside so as not to chafe or cut the horses flanks. But for us "wannabe cowboys" who wear them to be category compliant or just as "bling" what needs to be considered is style vs. safety. Runnin' with guns in our hands we don't want to trip because the buckles got caught on each other. Most spurs available today have fancy inlays of silver or brass on only one side of the spur and stud so of course we want that side facing "out" for style. Same goes for spur straps, conchos, texas stars, fancy buckles, etc. facing out. I have a pair of straps exactly like the ones in the photo you provided. I wear them with the spurs they are on with the buckles to the outside but you can do what you want. Just the view from my "wannabe saddle".

Gunner, there is no set "rule" about wearing spurs. I have a dozen or more sets of spurs each with their own particular straps. When real cowboys wore spurs for what they were intended buckles, conchos, or anything sharp were worn to the ouside so as not to chafe or cut the horses flanks. But for us "wannabe cowboys" who wear them to be category compliant or just as "bling" what needs to be considered is style vs. safety. Runnin' with guns in our hands we don't want to trip because the buckles got caught on each other. Most spurs available today have fancy inlays of silver or brass on only one side of the spur and stud so of course we want that side facing "out" for style. Same goes for spur straps, conchos, texas stars, fancy buckles, etc. facing out. I have a pair of straps exactly like the ones in the photo you provided. I wear them with the spurs they are on with the buckles to the outside but you can do what you want. Just the view from my "wannabe saddle".

Yup...already decided. Just 'playing' the game and lookin' the part ;)

GG

Gunner, I think you chose the right way with those straps - buckle out.

I went through the same thing, and I concluded that generally the buckles should be outside if you want to represtn a true cowboy. Given that, I've found several VERY nice spur straps that have both the buckle and the bling on the same (out) side. :D

These are now my go-to bling straps (and some everyday ones, as well) and will be going on my Lindholm Bros spurs when they arrive this week! :lol:

Harvey

Now for the important part. Find the hole on the strap that snugs sours up tight. That's where you wear them when riding a horse (or at least pretending!) now back them off a hole, which allows the rowels to drag on the ground and make a little noise. This is called the "sidewalk notch" for when you are in town and walking around and want to draw attention to your spurs!

Once again, I'm the odd one. Grew up wearing buckles in. Never scratched the fenders or the horse. If yer buckles touch the fender, yer wearing 'em way too high, and yuh'd have to nearly wrap yer legs around the horse to scratch it (unless it's REALLY fat). Did ride with a feller a long time back who wore buckles out until he got hung up in the brush; depends on where yuh ride, I guess. Been wearing spurs buckles in since I started shootin' CAS and never had a problem with the buckles hanging up. 'Course, over 60 years of experience might count fer something there....

Well Boys here's a Texas cowboy in 1908 with BUCKLES IN!

Bucklesin.jpg

Ol' Bull wears his buckles in since seein' this photo and several others of turn of the century cowboys. Good enough fer them good enough for me!

Rance you may be right , but from my view they are inside. I guess I shoulda picked a better example photo. I have several. Go to the Amon Carter museum site and you can see more.

I'm with others posted here. You can find them worn both ways if you research info from "back in the day".

So like Blackfoot says,wear em either way. It's your choice.

This is from a similar discussion on the "OPEN RANGE".

Re: How to wear Spur Straps

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2009, 01:12:35 AM »For what it is worth there is a statue of Buffalo Bill at his Historical Center in Cody, Wyo

and this is taken from life. His buckles are on the inside. Seems to me he would know. I think you would have to be mighty short-legged for the buckle to interfere with horse's belly. Besides you wear the spurs to come in contact with the horse to make him move. If you're wearing the "eagle"spurs, you have no decision to make. There's no buckle. But if there is a concho, that's supposed to go on the outside. So if there is a buckle, it has to go on the inside. Since there are so many different shapes and designs of spur straps, there is no definitive answer. But generally most (90%?) go on the inside.

I have a really hard time imagining a situation where the buckle hangs up in brush and the strap doesn't.

That said, this question is probably a lot like asking which hat was genuine or proper for an 1880's cowboy.

Correct answer there being the one that stays on his head, lol.

And in the same spirit, I'd probably buckle them the way you like them GG.

http://www.rods.com/double-pistols-buckaroo-spur-straps.html

Or you could do I like did this last time.

Go with Buckaroo straps. That way the buckle

and the fancy part shows.

Nice. I reckon I'll evolving and flip flopping - whatever feels best - one thing for sure - I have options either way without feeling (or looking) odd - ok ok ...my SPURS/STRAPS looking odd! :D

Archived