SASS Wire Forum

.41 Mag Anyone?

J. Frank Norfleet

Have a Ruger Blackhawk in .41 Mag but don't shoot it in SASS matches. I have, however, been reading about a ".41 Special" round that might be useful if you decide to use one. It serves the same niche as the .44 special in the .44 mag.

I shot five rounds through a 6 1/2" Ruger Blackhawk .41 mag in a CAS match last year as part of a "shoot different guns, calibers, and gauges every stage" stunt - it's the one and only time I've ever used a .41 mag in a match. In the end, I was one miss shy of a clean match, but I don't remember what gun was loaded with the miss. :P

Used to shoot a pair of .41 Ruger Bisleys. Loved the cartridge, not a big fan of the long barrels for cowboy action. Incredibly versatile cartridge for virtually any pistol application or shooting sport. Very under rated, folks either go small or just have to go big instead of shooting a round that lets you do either.

It's a sweet cartridge, I reloaded it for a Dan Wesson. I mainly used it for bowling pin events, and longer range pistol plinking, and hunting. Elmer Kieth and Bill Jordan are credited with lobbying it to be commercially made - two pretty good pistoIeros. I never tried loads light enough for SASS levels, though I would think it could surely be done. It was designed to be a flatter than .44 magnum shooting round with a bit less recoil, which it is, but that is pretty stiff recipes. As you probably know, the diameter of a .41 magnum is a true .410”, whereas a .44 magnum bullet actually measures .429”. I guess a ".429 Magnum" did not sound near as sexy as calling it a .44 magnum. Point is, it is closer to the .44 than the names lead you to believe. I found it to be very accurate and easy to reload.

The only Rifle I know of that was chambered for the 41 Mag was a 94 marlin.

Will have to look on Gun Broker of some other used firearm, site to find one.

Good Cartridge.

That is the reason for my question. I have been watching 3 of them on GunBroker. I was wondering if it could be loaded more like a .357 and then bumped up for WB. The first one sold, I don't think there is any reason for me to bid on the next two.

As you probably know, the diameter of a .41 magnum is a true .410”, whereas a .44 magnum bullet actually measures .429”. I guess a ".429 Magnum" did not sound near as sexy as calling it a .44 magnum. Point is, it is closer to the .44 than the names lead you to believe. I found it to be very accurate and easy to reload.

No I didn't know that! I have never really looked at the 44 mag. That is a hoot & you are correct "429 Mag" doesn't sound that imposing.

Thanks all for the info.

L.

No reason the 41 Mag couldn't be loaded to CAS levels , same as any other round. The limiting factor would seem to be firearms. The Marlin you are looking at and Ruger Blackhawks are about the only obvious choices. Pard would just have to want to bad enough , because he liked the caliber or just wanted to be different. Both good enough reasons.

There used to be a Cowboy on this wire ; Grampaw Willie is his alias , that championed the 41Mag. Haven't seen him here in years. If memory serves , he was from upper mid-west , maybe MI , MN , WI , that area.

44 fan , Rex :D

I've had a .41 DA revolver for years. A friend sent me a link to a .41 Magnum Marlin 1894 Cowboy not long ago. I knew that Marlin once made the 1894 in .41 and that they were relatively rare but I was not aware they had made them in the cowboy configuration. The rifle appeared to be in good shape and I was not surprised that it sold for more than $1,300.

A .41 Magnum rifle may seem a little strange but it would be a great Wild Bunch rifle. It "just" meets the .40 caliber-plus requirement after all.

A .41 Magnum rifle may seem a little strange but it would be a great Wild Bunch rifle. It "just" meets the .40 caliber-plus requirement after all.

It's plenty over the line for WB, now the .38-40 is the one that "just" meets the requirement! :lol:

The only Rifle I know of that was chambered for the 41 Mag was a 94 marlin.

Will have to look on Gun Broker of some other used firearm, site to find one.

Good Cartridge.

Marling 94 FG is chambered in 41 mag. I shot a pair of blackhawks and the aforesaid 94 in SASS until I discovered black powder. I did the case full with enough room for the bullet to compress the powder 1/8". It's tough to get a bullet that will carry enough lube in a 20" barrel rifle. Mine would not. I had yo use either a cooky or a wad. Neither were satisfactory. Because the 41 was designed for use as a police round there are very few lead bullets that will work in the Marlin. I had to have a custom mold made by Mountain Molds in the nearly exact shape of the 210 gr XTP.

The 41 is my choice for serious personal protection in the form of a 657 Smith or hunting in a Super Black Hawk Hunter in 41 mag. I played a lot with W296 and a 175 jacketed bullet and got it up to 1850 fps. A whole handful of lightening.

I think the 41 with H110/W296 and a 220 to 260 gr bullet is adequate for anything in North America except the big bears and I'm not sure any handgun cartridge is.

So Noz, did you like the 1894FG?

Yes! I still have it. I loaded Bullseye for rifle and pistol until I went to BP.

You can put enough juice in the FG to set you back on your heels.

I don’t use it for SASS but my 41 mag Blackhawk is my woods walking gun. What a sweet shooting easy carrying gun, you can load it down to pussy cat levels for plinking or up holy crap loads for serious work.

:-) I shoot .41 Long Colt Thunderers occasionally as a joke. I don't believe that's what you have in mind! :-)

Archived