SASS Wire Forum

Looking for some different reloading suggestions. New today 3/28

First of all please do not post exact loads on the wire. It is not allowed. Now what I want to know about might not be somebodies 1st or any choice but it is what I need to do. I have good reasons for this so just help me if you can.

I am looking for a load with Unique Powder in a 45 Schofield case topped with a 160 grain RNFP bullet only. If you have any suggestions please send them to me in a PM.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Marlin

You may have already looked here for a general start:

45 Schofield with 230 grain

Since a lighter bullet uses more powder for a normal load, you could try the amount of powder for a start.

Also, look at the contact link and ask Alliant. They can probably help you some as well.

Also, for some general reading on the 45 Schofield:

http://www.reloadammo.com/45soload.htm

Unique does not download as well as some other powders (in my experience). Your best bet is to follow Marauder's advice and play with your crimp to increase combustion.

I like 160s in my pistols, but they did not do so well in my rifle (Henry 1860). Lots of blow-by and powder residue buildup. I tried Reddot, W-231 and Clays in .45 Colt.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I really want to stick with the Schofield cases & the 160 grain bullet. This type of load isn't even shown in my reloading manuals but I know people are using this type of load. I need to stay with the cases & bullet but powder could be changed. Any powder suggestions other than the Holy Black?

Thanks again,

Marlin

A great powder for that load is either Winchester WST or Clays (also Clay Dot). All of those are hard to find right now (what's not?) If you want a suggested load for those, PM me. And, Red Dot or 700-X will also work.

Good luck, GJ

Archived