SASS Wire Forum

ALL FRIENDS POSSE AT EOT

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do believe that "HOT DOG" posses have one up over other posses. NO, not because they cheat, but because they are more likely to have the best TOs and spotters.....and know the rules better too.

Y

+1...best To's and spotters makes for a good match! I've been on the opposite posses and it stinks!

Ringer

BK you going to EOT? If so you can posse with me FRIEND. :P

KK

LOL... thanks, KK.. looks like I may need a bodyguard that can shoot! :ph34r::D;)

BK, I never request to shoot with anyone at a match. I know a few who don't want to shoot with me because the call is the call. The handbooks are in my gun cart and I will be glad to share them with anyone who requests clarification on a call. I will give anyone all the benefit I can, but the rules are the rules. I have witnessed both sides of this, but generally friends are more lenient on calls. Shoot with me and I will do everything possible to make sure things are fair. I make a pretty good bodyguard too, a bit of experience in that field. ;)

I was on a "friends posse" at an out of town annual once. I was a spotter on our first stage when one of the shooters closed his SXS and took 7 steps before shouldering and firing the gun.

I called a SDQ. You would have thought I attacked the shooter personally. After much discussion including calling in a rules "expert", it turns out the majority of the posse didn't even know that was against the rules. It wasn't cronyism, merely ineptitude. I won't mention what happened when it was my turn to shoot though.

Fillmore

Y

+1...best Tom's and spotters makes for a good match! I've been on the opposite posses and it stinks!

Ringer

+2 I've been very fortunate to make the friends I have in this game and Ive had the opportunity to shoot on some awesome posses. Our posse at Gunsmoke was incredible and I look forward to the next time.

+2 I've been very fortunate to make the friends I have in this game and Ive had the opportunity to shoot on some awesome posses. Our posse at Gunsmoke was incredible and I look forward to the next time.

Yea..lots of fun. And I really appreciate you, Deuce, Missouri Lefty, Most Wanted, Two gun, etc, etc. Let me get away with so much. Lol!! One or two so-called buddy calls really would have helped me out, damb it!!

I also recall stage DQing a couple of people?

Seriously, lots of fun with straight and honest calls!!

Ringer

Widder.... that would be a harsh answer to a simple question! :huh: My memory of that series is that he was tough as TX mesquite.

Phantom... I never said that people shouldn't shoot with their friends. How you constructed that straw man argument is a mystery. What I simply asked is whether or not posses should be 100% scripted/ populated with friends and you know it. Seems to me that there is a balance there that in the interest of fairness to all should be struck at the discretion of the match director.

Besides, this isn't my deal... I only axed da qwesshun....the Wild Bunch is the final say. I just thought it was time to get the idea out in the open.

Thanks to all who have invited me to go pound sand; vowed to never posse with me and just generally shot their mouths off in PM/post/text and email in an attempt to make this somehow personal. All that tells me is to heed an admonishment learned long ago: pay closest attention to the ones who protest the loudest and attempt to deflect. The most priceless was a threat to delete me from their cell phone.... well.... BYE.

To those who sent encouragement; who politely agreed to disagree and just generally furthered the discussion I'll be glad to posse with ya anytime.

Ok...you're not telling me I shouldn't shoot with my friends...perhaps I need to be more precise with my words...when speaking with you.

You think I should be limited in the number of friends I shoot with...got it.

Thanks!

Phantom

Ok...you're not telling me I shouldn't shoot with my friends...perhaps I need to be more precise with my words...when speaking with you.

You think I should be limited in the number of friends I shoot with...got it.

Thanks!

Phantom

The more you talk Misty...the more I like you.

Good move IMHO.

Go SASS!!!!

Phantom

I guess if I was a cute blonde cowgirl then you would have said, "DANG IT, BROTHER KING THE MORE YOU TALK ....THE MORE I LIKE YOU." ;)

http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=220236&hl=

BK you going to EOT? If so you can posse with me FRIEND. :P

KK

Ole BK has been ducking me for years. :o

We have been to at least a hand full of shots.

But never got to shoot together.

Think I got him scared. :huh::P

The above is just a joke folks.

I think what EOT just came up with should work for everybody.

If not. You may be just to dang picky. :ph34r:

Every year I request to posse with the same guys and girls, WHY?? Because EOT is the ONLY time I get to see or shoot with them. I can tell you it's the best posse ever, simply because its full of friends that I have had the pleasure of meeting in this game. I personally don't see anything wrong with it and none of them has EVER cut me any slack.

Ole BK has been ducking me for years. :o

We have been to at least a hand full of shots.

But never got to shoot together.

Think I got him scared. :huh::P

The above is just a joke folks.

I think what EOT just came up with should work for everybody.

If not. You may be just to dang picky. :ph34r:

I have not shot with brother king yet either, I have shared a brew or two with the feller at eot

but I agree 100% will Anvil Al on this one ;):D;)

For me part of my entertainment dollar value is being able to shoot with who I want to... You can't control everything in this game and keep it fun at the same time. Interesting thread BK, I get where you are coming from.

+1. And sometimes... it's dependent on how LONG it's been since I shot with those friends. And it can be no fun being the sole "outsider" amongst a posse of long time friends, but not always!

We seem to have two separate and possibly unrelated issues:

1. Should we be building our own whole posse or limit the number to a "short list" and accept having random assignments for the rest?

2. What should we do with folks that cheat? What is best way to expose them and put a stop to it?

A list of 22-25 people for a complete posse sure makes the job of the MD/committee that puts the posse assignments together easy! Some local matches in AZ. do that, too. It can get complicated if A and B want to posse up and C wants to shoot with A and K but K is sharing a cart with D and E and E wants to....... well, you get it. I've helped on that task for some large matches and it is really hard and very time-consuming to try and please everyone. The big matches I go to make a huge effort to honor the requests and I think that is typical across the country. One time, at a big match, somehow Wonnerful Hubby and I got split up and were not on the same posse. Bad deal, as we were sharing a cart. It was quickly resolved and we all had a good laugh over it.

A group that wants to shoot together isn't necessarily a bunch of cheaters furcryin'outloud. If I thought that was the case, I don't think I'd be in this game. By and large, cowboys are the best and the occasional drifter that causes trouble is just that, an occasional drifter, not most of us. So weeding out the few is the job of the many. I think the bigger issue is #2.

perhaps we are confussing the issue this way as well

the post was about building pretty much a total posse

not just shootin with a few friends or family on a posse

#2 is important as well, folks need to step up to the plate if they see things not being done wrong that would effect the overall scoring of a match

its simple really

apply earned penalties to shooters that earned em

dont let something slip because

they traveled 4000 miles,

they spent $$$$$$$$$$$$$ to get here

or they are a really good person,

or they aint gunna win their cagegory anyways what difference does it make

how about the shooter that has the score right in the middle of the pack that wins a gun

scores are scores, try to do them per rules and regulations with honor and integrity

I think misty moonshines posting of what will apply to EOT 2015 will work well and I thank her for her hard work to help SASS / CAS live into future years to come

;)

It does continue to be a source of sincere pleasure to be a small part of the passion and conviction that is the heart of this sport. There is no doubt that it burns brightly in our fellow SASS friends. Certainly no one means for that to be criticized or diminished in any way.

Still...and objectively- this is a competition with amateur volunteer scoring. Please don't diminish what we do and how hard some work by saying, "there's no $$ in it". I do this -compete-shoot-play cowboy- for the love of it.

To me at least that's more important than money. Too much of our lives is spent clawing for the money and failing to appreciate the power and happiness found in doing something because you love it. And doing it with the people you love makes it even sweeter.

If you can't be happy shooting with 10 of your closest friends at once then 10 more probably won't help ya.

the constent comment that::::::::::::::there aint no money in it makes me laugh as well

I for one have spent more $$ in this beloved sport / hobby than I ever have in all my other sports / hobbies combined

and thats a lot of mue---laaaaaaa

yes there is money in it, including time and energy

so I have the desire to be scored as fairly as possible with the volenteer base that judges us

just do it with honestly and integrity

thank you misty moonshine for addressing this issue right up front and with honesty and integrity ;)

Every year I request to posse with the same guys and girls, WHY?? Because EOT is the ONLY time I get to see or shoot with them. I can tell you it's the best posse ever, simply because its full of friends that I have had the pleasure of meeting in this game. I personally don't see anything wrong with it and none of them has EVER cut me any slack.

That's how we are for Winter Range. Its the one time of year we see my brother and our friends from the pacific NW!

Its fun. With all calls being made. No funny stuff!!

Ringer

This is a great example of a few bozo's ruining it for everybody. I've seen some pretty bad cheating during the 17 years I've done this sport. I've seen "buddy calls", people who have their own picked spotters, re-starts that were unwarranted, you name it, but it has always been by a very, very small number of shooters. These are folks that sell their integrity for a ribbon or small trophy. 99.99% of CAS shooters are honest, fair and fun to shoot with, but that .01 percent stand out so much that it has caused this to happen.

If you don't want an honest call, don't be on my Posse, friend or not

I guess if I was a cute blonde cowgirl then you would have said, "DANG IT, BROTHER KING THE MORE YOU TALK ....THE MORE I LIKE YOU." ;)

http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=220236&hl=

And what exactly was I pleased about BK????

Could it be that I'm pleased with the fact that SASS isn't implementing the new rule until NEXT YEAR??????

Come on...you talk about Straw Man arguments...and such...and then try and make it sound as though I like the New Rule...

BK, we're friends. Don't play it this way.

Phantom

Archived