SASS Wire Forum

What size round balls do you shoot in your cap and ball guns.

Pit Bull Tex

I am looking to find what size moulds I need to get for cap and ball pistols in 44 cal.Are the pietta and the Uberti the same?Don't know what I will find but want the get the moulds.

Not all the same. Most of the Italian pistols will work well with .454, as JR said. .454 in my Pietta '51 sheriffs.

Ruger Old Armies need .457.

All balls or bullets should be pure soft lead - for sure not the hard alloy that most cowboy slugs are cast with.

Good luck, GJ

.451's in my .44's and .454's in my ROA's. Easier to seat, plenty accurate enough for our game, and the 3 grain difference between .451's and .454's saves me enough lead for a FREE ball every 46 balls I cast! :lol:

My Piettas like the .451. Tried the .454 side by side and found tighter groups with the .451. The same result from 5 guns and 7 cylinders.

CR

I am looking to find what size moulds I need to get for cap and ball pistols in 44 cal.Are the pietta and the Uberti the same?

Why wouldn't 44 cal Pietta & Uberti cylinder throats be the same size? Their both 44 caliber

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/1202/2/LEE-454-6C

Kid, if you had looked at the Pietta FAQ's the answer to your question was there ...

http://www.pietta.us/faq/index.html

What size ball do I use in my revolver ?

31 caliber revolvers use a .322 ball.
.36 caliber revolvers use a .375 ball.
.44 caliber revolvers use a .454 ball.

.451 or .454 in Pietta .44s

.454 in Uberti .44s

.454 or .457 in ROAs

If you have both Pietta & Uberti 44s, go with .454 for all

--Dawg

Why wouldn't 44 cal Pietta & Uberti cylinder throats be the same size? Their both 44 caliber

Bet'cha if you check the bore of the cyls, you won't find two the same. This is especially true of the Piettas'. I ream the cyls of ALL my B/P pistols to insure true size and alignment of the bores.

Al

.457 in everything that's 44 cal.

I have to tell you that I learned the hard way that the size of your balls do matter!!!

.350 balls don't stay in the cylinders of an 1851 Navy. They tend to fall out when ya holster the guns!! :blush:

Right Dawg????

Rye :lol:

.457 in everything that's 44 cal.

This.

Takes very little additional effort to seat a pure lead .457 ball in a .454 chamber. Much easier than seating a .454 ball made from wheel weights.

My 10-year old .44 caliber Pietta '58 Remingtons like .454 balls.

Just make sure that you shave a lead ring when you seat the ball in the chamber. That ensures good sealing.

Laz

They don't really have throats in the sense that a cartridge gun has throats and they aren't actually .44 caliber. They are true .45s. If you have ever measured Pietta and Uberti cylinders you will find that the Piettas tend to be a couple of thousands smaller than a Uberti and on both the chambers are well below bore size. Some of the the "throats have to be the same as bore size to be accurate" folks get really excited when they find out the chambers are several thousands below bore size. On the last pair of Pietta 1860s I got, for example, the chambers measure .445, well below bore size. I use .451s in them and they are quite accurate. When the soft lead bullet hits the fairly abrupt forcing cones found on C&Bs they bump up. The chambers on a brand new Uberti 1860 I have in the closet measure right at .450. That's why Piettas tend to like .451s and Ubertis tend to like .454s and another reason why only pure lead should be used for C&B bullets.

My chambers tend toward .447. All of my RB molds throw 454s.

Howdy

I can use either .451 or .454 balls in my Pietta 1860 Armies. I prefer to use the .454 size because this cuts a slightly longer cylindrical section onto the ball. I like the slightly longer cylindrical section as added insurance against a chain fire.

My Uberti 36 Navy Has throats of .3723 for 5 and .3724 on one, and the bore measures .3720 this makes for a "Hard-Shooting" extremely accurate gun . And I use .375 balls in it , it shoots better groups at 75 yards than my Pietta does at 7 yards and gets 150 fps more velocity than the Pietta does using the same powder charge.

A ball seated in the largest chamber mouth of the Pietta is 13 1/2 thousands of an inch smaller than the bore and rattles down it on the way to the target.

Jabez Cowboy

I guess I might just get 2 moulds.One .457 and a .454.I ordered some pure lead today.

.454 in my Uberti guns. Works fine in all of them, several 1860s and a pair of Walkers.

Archived