SASS Wire Forum

Flying with Guns in NY

Salt Flat Swindler

Guest Max Morgan, SASS 41265

how do out of state cas shooters get to go to matches in NY?

are there road blocks set up on the borders of NY state where all cars from out of state are stopped and searched, and arrested ?

The federal law exists.

New york state doesn't care.

They arrest.

You pay money to lawyer to get you out.

You lose guns.

If you have brain, You don't fly through NYC with any firearms. PERIOD

A story about a pard who drove through Westchester county and got pulled over and lost his guns shows that it is not limited to airports.

DO NOT FLY INTO NY WITH GUNS!!!! NYC especially doesn't care about FOPA, you WILL be arrested and your guns confiscated. WHat seems to happen with out of staters is that NYC will offer a plea bargain, a fairly minir misdemeanor charge. Essentially you pay a small fine and lose your guns, NYC avoids a jury trial, you avoid possibly going to jail and having to rack up legal fees.

The following is from the Circle K regulator website, the SASS club that hosts the NY State shoot:

" transport of firearms within New York State: A non-resident citizen of the USA may possess a rifle or shotgun in New York, as long as it is unloaded while being transported. Non-resident target shooters may enter or pass through New York State with handguns for purposes of any NRA-approved competition if the competitor has in his/her possession a copy of the flyer/match program, proof of entry and a pistol license from his/her state of residence. The handgun must be unloaded and transported in a locked opaque container separate from any ammunition.

Please note that Heluva Rukus IS an NRA-sanctioned event. This letter will serve as your proof of entry; bring it with you to the event. Under NYS law, you may only have your firearms in the state for 48 hours prior to and 48 hours following our event."

As long as you don't fly into a NY airport, avoid NYC & it's immediate suburbs and don't do anything stupid, you should be fine. I have not heard of non-resident shooters being harassed or arrested outside of the NY Airports and NYC. I've gone to the SASS NY State Championship a dozen times without any problem.

All gun owners just need to stay the hell out of New York for any reason. My wife wanted to drive up to Niagara Falls a couple weeks ago to see the falls frozen and even though it’s less than a two hour drive she was told no. I won’t spend a dime in that state

"Non-resident target shooters may enter or pass through New York State with handguns for purposes of any NRA-approved competition if the competitor has in his/her possession a copy of the flyer/match program, proof of entry and a pistol license from his/her state of residence."

What if your state (e.g., Texas) has no pistol registration/licensing?

Laz

"Non-resident target shooters may enter or pass through New York State with handguns for purposes of any NRA-approved competition if the competitor has in his/her possession a copy of the flyer/match program, proof of entry and a pistol license from his/her state of residence."

What if your state (e.g., Texas) has no pistol registration/licensing?

Laz

A Texas Concealed Handgun License would probably suffice. If you live in Texas and don't have a Texas CHL, then getting one should be an immediate priority. But, since NY does not allow TX CHL holders to carry concealed in NY, it would likely be advisable to check with the NY Attorney General's office to determine if a TX CHL is appropriate for FOPA unloaded, locked in a proper container carry in that state. Probably less hassles and BS to just ignore the NE part of the US if you have reason to carry. I'd love to see New England in the fall sometime, but until my TX CHL is recognized in most of those states, I'll never go there. -- GIT

"A Texas Concealed Handgun License would probably suffice"

I've had my CHL since Texas first offered it. Notice the word underscored in the above quote. Since my CHL isn't recognized in NY, I suspect that it wouldn't qualify as a "pistol License". I would absolutely check with NY before betting my freedom on it either way! My question was rhetorical. There's a lot of folks who shoot CAS around here that don't have a CHL.

I think NY doesn't want my business either.

• 2 weeks later...

I just stay the *&^% out of states like that. I'm going up to Gettysburg on my motorcycle in a couple of months and I'm taking the longer way, through Ohio, to avoid having to set foot in Maryland. Both Maryland and West Virginia want me to wear a helmet and Maryland won't allow me to carry a gun, so I'll go through states with a little more respect for freedom.

A Texas Concealed Handgun License would probably suffice. If you live in Texas and don't have a Texas CHL, then getting one should be an immediate priority. But, since NY does not allow TX CHL holders to carry concealed in NY, it would likely be advisable to check with the NY Attorney General's office to determine if a TX CHL is appropriate for FOPA unloaded, locked in a proper container carry in that state. Probably less hassles and BS to just ignore the NE part of the US if you have reason to carry. I'd love to see New England in the fall sometime, but until my TX CHL is recognized in most of those states, I'll never go there. -- GIT

Come to Vermont---we don't require permits of any kind, carry as you wish--open or concealed as it should be. Stay the hell out of Mass. & Conn.

So you are returning from a shoot down in Texas , which respects your 2nd Amendment rights, traveling with your handguns and your plane is diverted to NYC, NJ, DC etc because of weather and you are required to spend the night in a hotel and fly out the next morning.....Now What!!

So you are returning from a shoot down in Texas , which respects your 2nd Amendment rights, traveling with your handguns and your plane is diverted to NYC, NJ, DC etc because of weather and you are required to spend the night in a hotel and fly out the next morning.....Now What!!

Refuse to accept the cases with the guns in them, make the airliner holds them until the next flight. As long as the airliner holds the gun cases, you should be ok since you aren't actually in possession of the guns.

Refuse to accept the cases with the guns in them, make the airliner holds them until the next flight. As long as the airliner holds the gun cases, you should be ok since you aren't actually in possession of the guns.

Let us all know how that works out if you try this path.

Your luggage ticket has your name on it.

And when you checked in you told the airline that nobody else packed it.

I guess NY can make the case that means you know what is in it.

And I bet a legal case that you are in possession of the contents.

Please remember that this is NY where they don't know how to read the USConstitution nor understand its meaning.

Let alone any federal laws....

So take your chances..... Go to Las Vegas and gamble.

If you fly in the NY area and your planes winds up in a NY airport you may lose your guns and escape with your criminal record having only a misdemeanor.

Let us all know how that works out if you try this path.

Your luggage ticket has your name on it.

And when you checked in you told the airline that nobody else packed it.

I guess NY can make the case that means you know what is in it.

And I bet a legal case that you are in possession of the contents.

Please remember that this is NY where they don't know how to read the USConstitution nor understand its meaning.

Let alone any federal laws....

So take your chances..... Go to Las Vegas and gamble.

If you fly in the NY area and your planes winds up in a NY airport you may lose your guns and escape with your criminal record having only a misdemeanor.

I won't fly through NY airports with guns period and if you had bothered to read post#5, I already covered what you said.

My response was what to do if diverted to or held over in NYC. As long as the luggage remains checked with the airline, a strong case can be made that the firearms are not in your possession. The alternative is to accept the checked luggage, at which point you will be arrested.

I won't fly through NY airports with guns period and if you had bothered to read post#5, I already covered what you said.

My response was what to do if diverted to or held over in NYC. As long as the luggage remains checked with the airline, a strong case can be made that the firearms are not in your possession. The alternative is to accept the checked luggage, at which point you will be arrested.

We really two different opinions.....

You post was about your view of how NY handles it.

Mine was speculating about how NY would apply its baloney laws when a passenger would not claim his luggage.

Very Different.

Even if post 5 and my post 15 are the same (which they are NOT) that has NEVER stopped anyone from posting anything.

Read any thread and you will see the same thing posted multiple times by several different posters.

No Need to nitpick.

Archived