SASS Wire Forum

Next Time Someone Claims Starbucks Doesn't Support Our Troops

Subdeacon Joe

Sheep don't like wolves.

Sheepdogs smell like wolves.

Don't overthink it.

I'd add to that, that the sheepdogs ought to have the sense to behave themselves around the sheep and not scare them.

We go armed to protect...

What are we doin if we take away a persons sense of security because they're ignorant and don't understand that the sheepdogs teeth will never bite them?

We ain't helpin our cause, that's for sure.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its a cultural and an area thing. Here in Cleveland, a guy went to a fast food place open carrying, legal without a ccw. As stated, cause quite a ruckus. 30 miles south where I hunt groundhog and a little more rural, when I walk around from field to field with my rifle slung on my shoulder, cops pass and wave, the school bus honks and the kids all say hi. I don't see any views changed towards firearms in my lifetime, its one of those topics that polarize folks, for whatever reason. You aren't going to change peoples views on this, I don't like it but its simply the truth. Some will change, but not many. Again, its a topic like other hot topics, same sex marriage, abortion, etc...that people have their mind made up and no amount of anything is going to change it. So, with that in mind, I'll keep a low profile. Just my view that's all.

That's the problem though....keeping a low profile ( and I totally understand why sadly). Have to find a way and keep WORKING at helping people understand the pro-2nd Amendment argument. Same sex 'marriage', abortion, and marijuana activists certainly made a dent for their cause not by being complacent.

GG

I agree GG, but the difference with those groups is they have the enthusiastic support of the 24 hour a day mass media on their side promoting and furthering their agenda whereas we only have ourselves.

Exactly. They worked to make that happen. Hey, Putz Morgan is out of the picture for now. That's a start...and that Ca Senator Lee is going going gone... We can only KEEP AT IT. Never give up pard :D

GG

I agree GG, but the difference with those groups is they have the enthusiastic support of the 24 hour a day mass media on their side promoting and furthering their agenda whereas we only have ourselves.

The big question is WHY roughly a third of our population is so scorned by the press. Think about it. There are about 100,000,000 gun owners in the US, but the image the press manages to project about us is of the roughly 1/8 of 1% who harm others with them. Why do we allow that?

Exactly. They worked to make that happen. Hey, Putz Morgan is out of the picture for now. That's a start...and that Ca Senator Lee is going going gone... We can only KEEP AT IT. Never give up pard :D

GG

Yee. Leland Yee. D, San Francisco. The same guy who, in 2003, tried to make feng shui the official religion of the State of CA.

Its allowed because 51% of "US" voted for the current administration. Ratings equals money, money equals votes, votes equals power. As long as people are watching, they'll show it. As long as people buy it, they'll sell it. Stop watching whats on TV and what they show will change. Stop buying and sending your money to causes you don't agree with and it will stop giving money to those groups.You think for a minute that Starbucks DOESN'T send money to those groups that scorn us?

Its allowed because 51% of "US" voted for the current administration. Ratings equals money, money equals votes, votes equals power. As long as people are watching, they'll show it. As long as people buy it, they'll sell it. Stop watching whats on TV and what they show will change. Stop buying and sending your money to causes you don't agree with and it will stop giving money to those groups.You think for a minute that Starbucks DOESN'T send money to those groups that scorn us?

I don't know who sends money to what but the NRA/ILA is a good start to see who to not support.

http://freepatriot.org/2013/05/06/list-of-anti-gun-companies-organizations-media-and-celebrities/

GG

Yes, that too. But we all here are preaching to the choir. If somebody who frequents this place and this sport doesn't know by now who supports and who doesn't support private ownership of legal firearms then we have along way to go to equal the groups that don't support us. And knowing a place doesn't support us and still giving them money to give to groups against us makes it even more difficult. Imagine if no one went to the movies and gave money to the film makers who are against us? Imagine if people stopped watching TV and better yet, stopped buying the products advertised during those shows? Again, preaching to the choir.

I don't know who sends money to what but the NRA/ILA is a good start to see who to not support.

http://freepatriot.org/2013/05/06/list-of-anti-gun-companies-organizations-media-and-celebrities/

GG

And why is that?

If every gun owner joined the NRA (for about the cost of a meal for two at decent restaurant) the pucker factor in DC would go right out of sight.

The NRA is the big bogey man in their eyes and the reaction might surprise you.

Yes, that too. But we all here are preaching to the choir. If somebody who frequents this place and this sport doesn't know by now who supports and who doesn't support private ownership of legal firearms then we have along way to go to equal the groups that don't support us. And knowing a place doesn't support us and still giving them money to give to groups against us makes it even more difficult. Imagine if no one went to the movies and gave money to the film makers who are against us? Imagine if people stopped watching TV and better yet, stopped buying the products advertised during those shows? Again, preaching to the choir.

I preach to the choir and those outside the 'church'. Seems natural for like minded folks to talk about like minded things. Nothing wrong with that.

GG

And why is that?

If every gun owner joined the NRA (for about the cost of a meal for two at decent restaurant) the pucker factor in DC would go right out of sight.

The NRA is the big bogey man in their eyes and the reaction might surprise you.

100%

GG

If we sit around and b***h about who doesn't like us and why that is and what needs to be done, we aren't getting anywhere fast and we will just go around in circle agreeing with each other and pointing our fingers and beating our chests, to who? To each other? That's not going to accomplish anything, plus, it gets old after awhile. I can only write so many letters and vote so many times and call so many people. Sure, I like talking guns, but not gun politics. I know who's against me and I vote and spend my money with people who are with me, and Starbucks coffee isn't a place I'll go.

If we sit around and b***h about who doesn't like us and why that is and what needs to be done, we aren't getting anywhere fast and we will just go around in circle agreeing with each other and pointing our fingers and beating our chests, to who? To each other? That's not going to accomplish anything, plus, it gets old after awhile. I can only write so many letters and vote so many times and call so many people. Sure, I like talking guns, but not gun politics. I know who's against me and I vote and spend my money with people who are with me, and Starbucks coffee isn't a place I'll go.

Ok. Still going to talk guns whatever to the 'choir' and outside the choir. You may not like gun politics but I do and feel its important to engage the conversation with all folks. Like minded and not. For those that feel gun politics is important I encourage to participate on the Team Sass forum. That's what it's there for...

GG

Yep, ain't it great we're free to chose what coffee we drink.

I'm 100% for a persons right to open carry anywhere without restriction. As a cop I've encountered numerous people open carrying legally in places that have had freaked out people call about them. But since they aren't actually doing anything to cause actual alarm other than having a gun we simply say hi and move on. The freaked out people are just scared and paranoid like GG said. My point is simply this, in reality I don't think we really need to worry about losing our gun rights as much due to the vocal anti gun activists. What we need to worry about are the ambivalent folks who care less one way or another because they dont own, use, or see guns. Guns mean nothing to them. The problem lies when someone really wanting to push their rights walks into the local mall with an AR 15 strapped across their back and freaks out hundreds of those ambivalent people who now instantly became anti gun folks and add to their numbers. I just think its counter productive to the cause. Maybe in areas that are more rural with less voters it's no big deal but in the big old' liberal voter filled cities it does. Again I'm all for it, but some common sense and thinking needs to be used

I'm 100% for a persons right to open carry anywhere without restriction. As a cop I've encountered numerous people open carrying legally in places that have had freaked out people call about them. But since they aren't actually doing anything to cause actual alarm other than having a gun we simply say hi and move on. The freaked out people are just scared and paranoid like GG said. My point is simply this, in reality I don't think we really need to worry about losing our gun rights as much due to the vocal anti gun activists. What we need to worry about are the ambivalent folks who care less one way or another because they dont own, use, or see guns. Guns mean nothing to them. The problem lies when someone really wanting to push their rights walks into the local mall with an AR 15 strapped across their back and freaks out hundreds of those ambivalent people who now instantly became anti gun folks and add to their numbers. I just think its counter productive to the cause. Maybe in areas that are more rural with less voters it's no big deal but in the big old' liberal voter filled cities it does. Again I'm all for it, but some common sense and thinking needs to be used

That's why we need to educate the paranoid public. AND people need to be aware of their surroundings too being sympathetic to that paranoid until a way these uninformed anti-gun disciples can be converted to pro-2nd Amendment sensibilities.

GG

Yes exactly that in your face attitude will not do us any good at all we need to educate and this isn't the way to do it

Yes exactly that in your face attitude will not do us any good at all we need to educate and this isn't the way to do it

I agree. I'm reminded of the old saying "work smarter, not harder."

Like I said....we need not cower and be sheepish, but need to find a way to better educate the paranoia. Remaining complacent and in the closet doesn't help. There has to be a balance of respect, but activism. Pretty nice for folks to enjoy a right without defending it when the need arises. Was happy to see the activism and organized open carry marches by many groups that took place around the country. I believed that well organized and respectful protest helped defeat the paranoid anti-gun legislation that was trying to get rammed through last time.

GG

Like I said....we need not cower and be sheepish, but need to find a way to better educate the paranoia. Remaining complacent and in the closet doesn't help. There has to be a balance of respect, but activism. Pretty nice for folks to enjoy a right without defending it when the need arises. Was happy to see the activism and organized open carry marches by many groups that took place around the country. I believed that well organized and respectful protest helped defeat the paranoid anti-gun legislation that was trying to get rammed through last time.

GG

I know what you mean, I just think open carrying "wherever it's legal" probably seems a lot like growling and snarling to the sheep.

They're not gonna get over their fear of the dog that way, is all I'm saying.

I'm a retired LEO and I have carried open and concealed when I was working and concealed during the 14 years I have been retired. I love guns! I have no issue with someone carrying a handgun open. My only attention to him/her is to determine what they are carrying because I'm just curious. A person walking through a mall with an AR-15 slung over his shoulder is trying to prove a point but it freaks out those who are there to shop. It freaks me out too! Those who do this are not helping our cause in any way whatsoever. We have freedoms but we also have obligations to our fellow citizens.

Hello Folks,

As this topic has gone from Starbuck's support of our troops to 2A rights, I will move it to Team SASS where folks expect to see this type of discussion.

Thank you all for the polite discussion!

Regards,

Allie Mo

PS If I saw someone in a mall with a long gun strapped to his/her back, I would hasten out of there. Those are not appropriate public self-defense guns, especially rifles with their long distance range. :ph34r:

PPS Farmer_Tom, you are wise beyond your years. :)

PPPS There's nothing like a Starbucks double or triple non-fat tall latte for staying alert on a long boring drive. :o;)

Hello Folks,

As this topic has gone from Starbuck's support of our troops to 2A rights, I will move it to Team SASS where folks expect to see this type of discussion.

Thank you all for the polite discussion!

Regards,

Allie Mo

PS If I saw someone in a mall with a long gun strapped to his/her back, I would hasten out of there. Those are not appropriate public self-defense guns, especially rifles with their long distance range. :ph34r:

PPS Farmer_Tom, you are wise beyond your years. :)

PPPS There's nothing like a Starbucks double or triple non-fat tall latte for staying alert on a long boring drive. :o;)

Malls are generally known NOT to allow firearms anyway so I can understand the reason to be concerned.

GG

I know what you mean, I just think open carrying "wherever it's legal" probably seems a lot like growling and snarling to the sheep.

They're not gonna get over their fear of the dog that way, is all I'm saying.

I never advocated for carrying 'wherever it is legal'. I did advocate to be respectful of one's surroundings and environment. ;) plus there are times that open carry puts one at a tactical disadvantage.

GG

plus there are times that open carry puts one at a tactical disadvantage.

GG

That right there is the entire reason I don't personally open carry. Once upon a time during some close quarters training I had a "bad guy" get my gun away from me... VERY humbling experience for me.

BUT... I do advocate open carry (with or w/o a permit, as appropriate for local laws) from a legal standpoint. In that, opening your jacket and allowing someone "shady" to see that you're packin, could deter any potential need for force.

And I don't want it to be illegal to do so.

I wouldn't want to worry about repercussions for accidentally showing it during any number of chores either. Reaching for something on a top shelf at Walmart, for instance.

So I absolutely support open carry, I just think it's usually tactically foolish, and almost always unsettling for the sheep.

It's one of those "time and place" things for me.

That right there is the entire reason I don't personally open carry. Once upon a time during some close quarters training I had a "bad guy" get my gun away from me... VERY humbling experience for me.

BUT... I do advocate open carry (with or w/o a permit, as appropriate for local laws) from a legal standpoint. In that, opening your jacket and allowing someone "shady" to see that you're packin, could deter any potential need for force.

And I don't want it to be illegal to do so.

I wouldn't want to worry about repercussions for accidentally showing it during any number of chores either. Reaching for something on a top shelf at Walmart, for instance.

So I absolutely support open carry, I just think it's usually tactically foolish, and almost always unsettling for the sheep.

It's one of those "time and place" things for me.

Again and again! I said that for those that wish to engage in their lawful right to open carry be respectful of your surroundings. That includes the temperature of the 'sheep'. This argument is becoming a broken record LOL.

GG

Again and again! I said that for those that wish to engage in their lawful right to open carry be respectful of your surroundings. That includes the temperature of the 'sheep'. This argument is becoming a broken record LOL.

GG

I apologize then, I wasn't trying to prolong it, or even disagree with you, per se.

Archived