SASS Wire Forum

Next Time Someone Claims Starbucks Doesn't Support Our Troops

Subdeacon Joe

Starbucks CEO announces $30-million effort to help veterans

Starbucks Chief Executive Howard Schultz has announced that he will donate $30 million to benefit the 2.5 million U.S. soldiers who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The money will go toward job training, and research and treatment for those suffering brain trauma or post-traumatic stress syndrome.

http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydish/la-dd-starbucks-ceo-donate-30-million-veterans-20140324,0,3669707.story#ixzz2wwfuMXgg

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Except fer that glitch they had when the CEO "asked" if gun owners would PLEASE not bring their guns into the stores. I guess it's better than posting NO GUNS ALLOWED…………but still……..

-Rye

Except fer that glitch they had when the CEO "asked" if gun owners would PLEASE not bring their guns into the stores. I guess it's better than posting NO GUNS ALLOWED…………but still……..

-Rye

I have no problem with that - the antis were going to drag the company into the middle of a fight it didn't want just because it allowed everyone to exercise their civil rights.

Starbucks CEO announces $30-million effort to help veterans

Starbucks Chief Executive Howard Schultz has announced that he will donate $30 million to benefit the 2.5 million U.S. soldiers who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The money will go toward job training, and research and treatment for those suffering brain trauma or post-traumatic stress syndrome.

http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydish/la-dd-starbucks-ceo-donate-30-million-veterans-20140324,0,3669707.story#ixzz2wwfuMXgg

Wish there were more companies that would do things like this for our vets. Great job Starbucks.

Never heard that they didn't support our troops - have heard that Starbucks is not so supportive of guns in thier stores (though the local 'bucks here has no issue)

G (who enjoys a S'bucks once in awhile) G ~ :FlagAm:

I think Starbucks just didn't want to be the poster child for either side. They were getting dragged into the middle by the Pro and Anti gun crowd. They are in the business of selling coffee. Not making public policy.

Starbucks is a good company. They go out of their way to take care of their employees, even the part time teenagers behind the counter.

I take my girl (ok, wife) to Starbucks every week after shopping for groceries.

I have never had anyone say anything to me about carrying or not carrying my gun into the store.

Course it is concealed so it's my hope that no one actually knows it's there.

Just another old guy buying coffee for his wife...nothin' to look at here.

Waimea (stealthy excersizer of his 2nd Amendment right) :ph34r:

:FlagAm:

Good move on this support.

As far as their stance on gun-control issues asking it not to be done at their shops is a good move.

They could lose customers for their business just because an anti-gun or pro-gun rally takes place at their shop.

Not a good plan for a coffee place to be actively involved in the gun debate..

Kudu for doing this.

But, and there is always that ugly but, they still have terrible coffee.

My feelings exactly!

I love their coffee!!! House blend is the best! ;) Rye

Kudu for doing this.

But, and there is always that ugly but, they still have terrible coffee.

Depends on what you get. Most of their brewed, plain coffee is pretty good.

Never heard that they didn't support our troops - have heard that Starbucks is not so supportive of guns in thier stores (though the local 'bucks here has no issue)

G (who enjoys a S'bucks once in awhile) G ~ :FlagAm:

Once or twice a year since 2004 an internet letter makes the rounds about "Starbucks not supporting the troops! Refused to send coffee to Marines in Afghanistan (or Iraq)" Google "starbucks marines coffee" and you will get pages and pages on it.

I love their coffee!!! House blend is the best! ;) Rye

I'm partial to their "Veranda" and "Willow." Both are light roast so you don't get coffee that tastes like burnt wood. Occasionally I'd get "Ethiopian" if they had it brewed. Or Komodo Dragon if I'm in the mood for a dark roast. Or, on the very rare times they have it as a brewed coffee, "Ethiopia Yirgacheffe."

That said, I haven't bought a coffee at a Starbucks in about 4 years. Decided that I could buy coffee by the pound, grind it myself, brew it in a french press and make it as good, if not better, for a whole lot less.

I enjoy the Pike Place coffee at Starbucks. I drink 8-10 cups of it a week. At home it's Dunkin Donuts coffee from Costco.

I'm partial to their "Veranda" and "Willow." Both are light roast so you don't get coffee that tastes like burnt wood. Occasionally I'd get "Ethiopian" if they had it brewed. Or Komodo Dragon if I'm in the mood for a dark roast. Or, on the very rare times they have it as a brewed coffee, "Ethiopia Yirgacheffe."

That said, I haven't bought a coffee at a Starbucks in about 4 years. Decided that I could buy coffee by the pound, grind it myself, brew it in a french press and make it as good, if not better, for a whole lot less.

They have a new blend called Blonde…(really they do) it's a lighter blend of coffees, seen the ad on TV.

Rye

Once or twice a year since 2004 an internet letter makes the rounds about "Starbucks not supporting the troops! Refused to send coffee to Marines in Afghanistan (or Iraq)" Google "starbucks marines coffee" and you will get pages and pages on it.

Hmmm - never saw it or heard of it till now ;)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

They have a new blend called Blonde…(really they do) it's a lighter blend of coffees, seen the ad on TV.

Rye

We don't have a coffee club in my office so I have to nuke water and drink instant. I pick up the Veranda blend VIA at the store. I really like it. Doesn't kick your teeth in quite as hard as their other blends.

I guess we all here have firearms as our thing in common so firearm friendly stories will always be agreed with but remember that this company is located in what may be the MOST liberal cities in the U.S. right now, and while I think this is a good thing they are doing and we all agree with this thing as this type of injury is getting a lot of press, remember all the other things they support and all the other agenda they have when you go and spend $5 for a coffee. With this in mind, I will never spend a dime at one of their shops. My opinion only, spend your money where you want.

I guess we all here have firearms as our thing in common so firearm friendly stories will always be agreed with but remember that this company is located in what may be the MOST liberal cities in the U.S. right now, and while I think this is a good thing they are doing and we all agree with this thing as this type of injury is getting a lot of press, remember all the other things they support and all the other agenda they have when you go and spend $5 for a coffee. With this in mind, I will never spend a dime at one of their shops. My opinion only, spend your money where you want.

I'm sure you can spend $5.00 on a cup of something there but the ones I buy are less than $2.00. Had two cups today.

I always carry at Starbucks, on and off duty ;) ....but since I CC when I'm off duty, and don't strap a big old AR across my back like some dip sticks do to attract attention to themselves (and actually hurt rather than help the pro gun movement), no one notices or cares. My wife works there too so the 30% discount and free pound of coffee a week don't hurt either. Of course I live in the land of Starbucks so I'm kinda partial...

"Except fer that glitch they had when the CEO "asked" if gun owners would PLEASE not bring their guns into the stores. I guess it's better than posting NO GUNS ALLOWED…………but still…….."

I have no problem with that - the antis were going to drag the company into the middle of a fight it didn't want just because it allowed everyone to exercise their civil rights.

and

I think Starbucks just didn't want to be the poster child for either side. They were getting dragged into the middle by the Pro and Anti gun crowd. They are in the business of selling coffee. Not making public policy.

+1 and 2

I always carry at Starbucks, on and off duty ;) ....but since I CC when I'm off duty, and don't strap a big old AR across my back like some dip sticks do to attract attention to themselves (and actually hurt rather than help the pro gun movement), no one notices or cares. My wife works there too so the 30% discount and free pound of coffee a week don't hurt either. Of course I live in the land of Starbucks so I'm kinda partial...

Yup... Engaging in one's legal right to open carry is hard in a paranoid public and police environment. Glad I don't live in such an environment.

GG

Yup... Engaging in one's legal right to open carry is hard in a paranoid public and police environment. Glad I don't live in such an environment.

GG

Just because you can do something doesn’t mean it’s a good idea to do it

Just because you can do something doesnt mean its a good idea to do it

Right... Because of an uneducated and paranoid public and police environment in certain areas. Sadly there are the very few police officers that just hate to see citizens armed in public.

Thankfully I live in an environment where one can enjoy their open carry legal rights without harassment.

GG

On the one hand I agree that carrying a rifle is like to cause a ruckus because people aren't used to the idea that good guys can be armed. On the other hand, how do we get our society over the paranoia about seeing people with guns acting in a calm, peaceful, civilized manner if people aren't seen carrying guns in a calm, peaceful civilized manner?

Its a cultural and an area thing. Here in Cleveland, a guy went to a fast food place open carrying, legal without a ccw. As stated, cause quite a ruckus. 30 miles south where I hunt groundhog and a little more rural, when I walk around from field to field with my rifle slung on my shoulder, cops pass and wave, the school bus honks and the kids all say hi. I don't see any views changed towards firearms in my lifetime, its one of those topics that polarize folks, for whatever reason. You aren't going to change peoples views on this, I don't like it but its simply the truth. Some will change, but not many. Again, its a topic like other hot topics, same sex marriage, abortion, etc...that people have their mind made up and no amount of anything is going to change it. So, with that in mind, I'll keep a low profile. Just my view that's all.

Archived