SASS Wire Forum

My new you tubechannel

Chief Rick

I've had a GoPro camera for a few months now and never did anything with it - so I took it to a shoot last month and played around with it a little bit. Videos came out ok so I took it back this month.

If you have a minute check out the videos of posse 3 from last weekends monthly at slick McClade's Jackson Hole Regulators.

Before you look, I wasn't on Slick's posse so there are no videos of him. :D

Chief Rick's Cowboy Action Shooting channel

I'll appreciate any feedback or constructive criticism.

Thanks.

Lookin' good!

One thing I do is create a playlist for each match, so that all vids from a given match are together.

Something I try to do is let the camera roll for a few seconds both before and after if possible. The after part so that I pick up the time and misses being called out and also to get a shot of the shooters face.

Another thing I try to do is to start it early enough on at least one shooter per stage so that I can pan the targets so that the viewer gets a sense of what the shooter is facing.

Keep it up and have fun with it!

Grizz

Chief Rick,

Absolutely Fantastic !! I was in posse 1 and heard yall talkin about video but didnt know you had a Go Pro. Keep up good work !

2 Gunz

"Honor To Whom Honor Due"

Thanks Grizz & Charlie.

I plan on continuing to video as long as nobody on the posse minds and it doesn't interfere with posse duties.

Grizz - thanks for the ideas. I will work on the play list thing in the future. Will also try to figure out how to record the stage setup.

It can be a dicey situation trying to follow a shooter (as I did in a couple of vids) without interfering with the shooter, TO, or spotters. However, I think that following the shooter presents a better video than holding the camera at a still location and having the shooter move towards or away from it. Stage design plays a large part also.

Fortunately the GoPro's view is wide enough to allow for a little bit of imperfection in following a shooter.

Rick, I have never seen myself in action before. I believe you must have filmed me in slow motion and wide angle lens! I have now seen proof that I need to drop some pounds and speed up my shooting! thanks again, Irish Pat, sass 19486

Thanks for the great videos. Nice to see some old friends shooting there. BBB and Yusta B

I've put mine on my hat, gives the view the shooter sees. Dunt have a u tube deal yet, but go to Wyatt's Whats the call thread and I've got a couple on it.

I like that you took the time to make playlists. With the videos being short, playlists helps speed up going to the next video.

Even better would be to edit the videos of a stage into one video.

Also it would be valuable to let the video go about 5 seconds longer and try to capture the time and score details.

Keep up the good work. I've subscribed so I'll be watching.

Thanks all.

Appreciate the feedback WC - I'll work on extending the recording and try to play with various editing options after our next match = which will be the Duel in the Bayou, LA State match next month.

Thanks DC.

Got rid of those SS Blackhawks a little while back. Some shooter named Slick McClade got 'em and kind made 'em his own. :D

Been shooting a pair of Joe Perkins' NMVs for a little over a year now.

One suggestion and this is purely my opinion.

I prefer a video slightly behind the shooter, so the viewer can watch the shooter and see the target engagement.

Something more like you would see if you were actually on the range with the shooter - like in a spotters position.

I agree Creeker and that's something I will work on next time. I tried to follow the shooters on a couple of stages and I feel those videos came out better than the stationary camera. Have to ensure I don't interfere with the shooter, TO, or spotters though.

Archived