SASS Wire Forum

Tablet that will support Aces?

Rance - SASS # 54090

I'm gonna get a tablet (Ipad thingy) to help our club with scoring..

I want to put the Aces Scoring System on it.. and that's about it..

I don't have one and I have no idea on which one ta get... :wacko:

I'm not a computer type person... So need it simple.. :mellow:

I'm old so I wanta' be able to see the screen with the whole page on it..

Maybe they all do that.. I don't know..

Is the bigger screen better?

Is the bigger screen more expensive?

What in yer judgement is the best size screen ta get?

How much stuff does it need to do just Aces?

I have a hard time turnin' one on let alone run one of them thingy's.

Is one screen type better to see in the sunlight? or shade?

Brand? Model? Ram?? (if it's an important thing) memory? (if it's an important thing)

Again... I don't know anything about 'em.. :blink:

Rance ;)

Thinkin' I need some help here folks..

Oh yeah... Low price is good too..

Edit: Do they all syncronize with the others?

Please respond. I'm in the same boat as Rance.

Morning Rance!

We use Aces in our club and have it running on several Apple Ipads and a couple Iphones as well and have no problems. Works like a charm!

As far as which model, it will run fine on the base model of Ipad. There are four sizes of internal memory, 16,32, 64, and 128gb which just means how much stuff you can store on it. I have a 32gb but others that run it have the 16gb. If that's all your doing with it, then save the money on the higher models for more ammo. :)

The colors are more a personal thing. The other options are whether or not you want an ATT data plan or other carrier data plan (like a cell phone) They all come with wireless capability. For Aces, all you need is wireless. If you are using several ipads for different possies (like we do) then you will need to sync them all together at the end of the match.

That's separate from this question of tablets..... I believe there are instructions on how to do that from Aces.

Let me know if there are any other questions..... :)

-JD

Do I have ta have a data plan fer Aces ta work?

Do you have ta have wireless ta syncronize?

What type and size screen is best? ta see in the shade? and ta see in the sunlight?

Do all the screens show the entire page all the time?

Rance ;)

Thinkin'.. :blink:

Do I have ta have a data plan fer Aces ta work?

Do you have ta have wireless ta syncronize?

What type and size screen is best? ta see in the shade? and ta see in the sunlight?

Do all the screens show the entire page all the time?

Rance ;)

Thinkin'.. :blink:

no data plan is required but you do need wireless to sync multiple devices. To get more complex.... if you don't have wireless, then you can load aces on a laptop, then plug each tablet device in and sync it that way. Then the laptop would be used as the main device with all data.

Edit: actually that isn't correct. You just use the laptop to sync the mobile devices together...

we use the larger ipads and you do see all the data at once. Again that is a personal preference (and how good your eyes are... ) I'm not sure there is any options for screen type as far as for glare. They make glare screens to put over the front.... we haven't really had a problem with that however.

Rance:

Sandy's I-pads are both I-Pad2. We got 32GB models for all the other stuff she wanted to do, but a 16 will do fine. As long as someone has a wireless connection available, the I-pads can be synced through it. If you plan to print results, you need an air printer & wireless connection.

Seeing in the sun can be a problem, but there are simple ways to shade the screen. A standard sized I-pad screen shows everything you need, some folks have trouble working on the smaller screens like I-phones & others. Brightness can be turned up on the screen, but that takes more battery power...that's why Sandy was usually in the shade when she kept score...it also doesn't hurt to keep them cooler.

If Kory & Granville are planning to use Aces at Chilli, I will bring the printer & wireless with me. In fact, I can bring I-Pads too. I think there are one or two dates where I have conflicts, but there is no sense letting all her equipment go to waste if I'm going to be there anyway. I am not the expert she was, but Blind Hog was quickly getting up to speed last year and we might be able to muddle our way through.

CS

OK... I watched part of the video link ya provided..

It only talks about Ipads...

Is that the only device that it works on?

I thought.. (there I go thinkin' again) that Ipad was a brand name and all of them were tablets??

Rance ;)

Thinkin' I need some enlightenment :)

no data plan is required but you do need wireless to sync multiple devices. To get more complex.... if you don't have wireless, then you can load aces on a laptop, then plug each tablet device in and sync it that way. Then the laptop would be used as the main device with all data.

we use the larger ipads and you do see all the data at once. Again that is a personal preference (and how good your eyes are... ) I'm not sure there is any options for screen type as far as for glare. They make glare screens to put over the front.... we haven't really had a problem with that however.

Johnny Dollar I appreciate all your help & info.

As per the red lettered stuff above...

What's the smallest screen that I can get to show all the data at once?

Thanks

Rance ;)

Johnny Dollar I appreciate all your help & info.

As per the red lettered stuff above...

What's the smallest screen that I can get to show all the data at once?

Thanks

Rance ;)

Rance, that's a sort of difficult answer to give... its one of those "if I could show you, it would be like a light bulb went off" :)

Basically each device will format the screen to itself. I know that may not make much sense.... Each stage has an info page for the shooters/stages and match. Each page is separate from each other, but no matter which device you use, you will see the same thing. Using an iphone does look somewhat different only because it has to fit the data in a smaller area. To answer your question is a basic way, it doesn't really matter which device you use. You will still have all the data you need at that time presented to you. whether you are entering in a new shooter or putting in his/her time or any other stage info. It really is pretty simple to use.

Honestly, its a lot simpler than my lame description! :D

-JD

We tried using two different types of tablets, and it was a nightmare. I highly suggest you use the same type, our club is now buying only one type to use for all the stages. The program itself is not difficult once you get the hang of it. HOwever, at this time, we are still using paper backups in case there is a question.

We tried using two different types of tablets, and it was a nightmare. I highly suggest you use the same type, our club is now buying only one type to use for all the stages. The program itself is not difficult once you get the hang of it. HOwever, at this time, we are still using paper backups in case there is a question.

Nevada, great tip! I can see that as being a problem with different devices. They all sync a bit different. That being said, we have tested with ipads and iphones and have had no issues however they are all Apple and sync the same way. But with different manufacturers I can see it being a problem that you don't need.

Yep... at the end of the day you cant beat paper unless you're trying to save some trees. ;):D

We are using both Android and IPAD. They do not sync well together. The IPAD works best. Thats what we are going to use for our annual match. As its been said you can use only the wireless without the data service. I believe you sync between the computers with your bluetooth.

Ike

Does it have to be an Android device?

What is a nice size screen that fat fingers easily work on?

I see Ipad brought up often.. Is the Ipad brand name (Apple) only or are they all tablets?

Will any tablet work if they are?

Doesn't have to be an android device... its just one of a few that will work with their software. An Ipad is just what Apple calls their device. Tablet is a generic term for any of those "larger than a phone" devices but doesn't single any of them out. As far as what size screen, again personal preference. I like the larger ipad, one of our score keepers uses her phone. What I would suggest is to go to a Best Buy or some other electronic store and try them out to see what's most comfortable to you.

I would stay with what Nevada and Ike brought up and stay with one brand.

About which devices work... Seems like most Apple, Nook, Android and Kindles. From Aces web page:

System Requirements

iPod Touch 2nd – 4th Generation

iPad or iPad 2

iPhone (2, 3, 4, 4S)

Any android device running android 2.1 (Eclair) or later.

Thanks fer all the replies...

I sure appreciate you folks answerin' my (ok I'll call 'em dumb) questions..

Do I understand it all?? Nope :mellow: ... but I understand more than I did.. :)

When they start talkin' about sycronizin', wireless printers, wifi.. and such..

Well.. I reckon that's in that little bitty party of my ol' brain ... way back there..

The part that ya hope ya don't have ta ever use...

Rance ;)

Thinkin' I reckon it's time to expand that little part of the ol' brain.. :blush:

Geesh :blink:

I've only used Aces a couple times and it was nice.

But I'm not thrilled with the extra expense of Ipads over other Android devices such as Samsung, Kindle Fire, etc.

The Apple I-pads are more expensive (often over 25% more), but since they came out first, many programmers have favored them. So some programs (such as Aces) work a little better on them.

Since I-pads are a monopoly, you have to pay more to get a little less product. But if you have a $100 or so extra per device, you will like the Ipad.

You will need wireless for ease of use, but you do not need a phone or phone plan. Some of the tablets can sync together without a hub. With some sort of hub to have a wireless network. You can now buy wireless hubs for less than $40.

OK... another question...

I see wireless hubs, wireless networks and such mentioned...

Are these wireless routers?

We don't have electricity at our range..

Do these (or can these be found) wireless thingy's work off 12 volt?

Rance ;)

Still thinkin' I reckon.. :blush:

Does it have to be an Android device?

What is a nice size screen that fat fingers easily work on?

I see Ipad brought up often.. Is the Ipad brand name (Apple) only or are they all tablets?

Will any tablet work if they are?

You can use android or Ipad. Android will cost less than apple. I have it installed on an original ASUS transformer model TF101 and it runs fine. any android operating system (OS) version 3.0 or greater will work.

You can work with almost any screen but I would get at least a 7 in screen and no more than 11 or 12. Big tablets will get heavy after a while.

Whether or you buy android or apple be sure if you get more than one that they are both apple or both android. ACES has a few bugs I mean undocumented features when syncing back and forth between the different platforms.

You can buy used ASUS TF101 transformers with a 10 inch screen on ebay for about $100.00. Suggest you find a club member with access to a teenager. Bet one of those young wipper snappers can get you up and running in no time. Heck I work with computers and state of the art electronics to support my shooting addiction I mean shooting hobbie and some days it seems that my grandchildren are more up to speed on the latest technology than I am.

OK... another question...

I see wireless hubs, wireless networks and such mentioned...

Are these wireless routers?

We don't have electricity at our range..

Do these (or can these be found) wireless thingy's work off 12 volt?

Rance ;)

Still thinkin' I reckon.. :blush:

Yes most can be adapted to run off batteries. I will look around and see if I can find a model that will run off either 6 or 12 volts. Will let you know what I find.

I would gladly convert one for you at cost if you want to go that route. An off the cuff SWAG is that it would cost less than $50.00 for the router, extra parts and postage.

Yep, they can be plugged into the 12volt accessory outlet...used to be called a cigar lighter!!...and charged. The only time the wireless is used is at he beginning of the match to sync the devices after the shooters & categories are entered into the master, and then at the end of the match when all of the scores are delivered back to the master (synched). We used to shut Sandy's wireless off to save the battery.

CS

We use Samsung (Android) as well as iPad (Apple). When we first started using the ACES program, all of the devices synced with no problems. That may not be the case if everything is not running the same update. I personally think the "smoothest" interface is with the Apple iPad.

Just to make a couple basics clear for those without tablet knowledge:

There are essentially 3 operating systems - Windows based, Apple based, and Android.

Apple is generally the most expensive. Apple users are loyal, but Android has the largest market share now. Windows tablets have not gained as much traction.

Tablets communicate with each other to share data (in this case scores) either by physically connecting them with wired usb cables, or two wireless options - WIFI and bluetooth. WIFI would be the prefered option because of the distance coverage far better than bluetooth and can get wonky with a number of devices all trying to tether (connect) with each other, and data speed, and security. From the ACES website :

"we recommend running ACES on a secure Wi-Fi network where only the stats people know the Wi-Fi password. That way the only people who could cheat are the stats people, and you have to trust them in any system.

Additionally, you can enter a match password that prevents scoring (or even synching) match data if not entered."

The easiest way would probably be to use a wireless router to act as central hub for your tablets, although it would also be possible to setup one tablet as a "WIFI Hotspot" to connect the others.

There are a lot of choices around as far as which tablets to use, if things are set up properly there should not be a problem with a mix of types being used. One of the favorites out there right now is the Google branded Nexus 7. It can be had at Walmart for $219.00.

By the way I assume you realize that you don't need tablets at all if you don't want them. Most current smartphones could be used instead. The main advantage to a tablet would be the larger screen making it easier to see.

Hope this is helpful.

Rance,

When we started using ACES here in Milan last year (of course, Sandy was our expert but I've worked with it quite a bit), we were using ipads and kindle fires. They both work but there was one shoot where we went to sync prior to the shoot and they wouldn't sync together. Evidently there had been an update for the ipads and they hadn't done that particular update for the kindles yet and nothing would work together. So we've been trying not to use 2 different types of devices. I started out with a kindle and now have an ipad and highly recommend the ipad - much easier to work with and see. I would recommend getting an ipad2 - the later versions of the ipad have had lots of problems and the ipad2 is the most reliable. And if all you're going to do is ACES, 16 GB will be plenty but if it's not much more money to go 32 GB, I would because you never know what else you might decide to use it for once you get that part of your brain working (haha)!!! If you're at our first shoot in April (the 27th), I'll be happy to sit down with you (if you can stay for a little while after the shoot) and go through some stuff and try to answer some of your questions.

Shamrock Sis

At our club we started using ACES, we use a Ipad mini for the main device and use kindle fires for scoring and we have no problems syncing them, all you need is a wireless router to create a wifi signal, you do not need internet service.a older router will work fine we use one that would not stream movies that I donated to club. the router can be in scoring shed you dont have to sync thru out the match you can just do it all at once at end of match meaning wifi signal does not have to go out very far.All you have to do is plug router in it does not need to be hooked to computer.

Our main scoring program is Round Up created by Appalachin Alan, you can email your shooter master list to a address you can open with Ipad thru ACES that will put your master list in ACES so you dont have to type in everyone names.

We build our match in Round Up and print up scoring sheets using Round Up then export match to ACES (Ipad) sync kindles ,then reverse process when done, this gives a paper back up and we build the match once.You can do everything in ACES but we already use Round Up and its easy enough to import/export once you've done a few times and they work together or separate.If your going to use paper and ACES I think this is the way to go.

We have had a few learning things about system but everything was just user error on part,

I think for giving a device to posse to use the kindle fires are nice because once you enter shooters score and penalties for stage you push a button that says "save", I also think kindles are easier to navigate because they have the back arrow button, my personl opinion.ACES is a little different between kindle and Ipad or apple stuff.

I created a video on how to score using ACES on kindle fire put it on my clubs homepage.http://lakecountypistoleros.com/

If you plan on just using ACES you can just use whatever devices but if you want to combo with Round Up or the SASS Scoring program you will need a Apple device,Ipad with bigger screen probaly best but you can use a iphone or ipod and do same thing.

AO

Archived