SASS Wire Forum

Reloading in a Stage - on the clock

Rusty Rooster

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My 1860 seems simple enough to reload, I don't see what the fuss is about. It's certainly easier to load than my Remington 11-87. I would assume that when reloading all rounds in the revolver you pop an empty out and replace it at the same time, right?

An now I have a new 'training' procedure!

Knowing that one live round got 'jacked-out' during the stage and you are at the last target without a bullet - a decision must be made: Which is faster for me a - take the 5 second miss OR make the rifle safe, draw a round from the belt, get the round into the gun, chamber the round while gaining the target and make a clean hit!!!

I already know that the 5 second miss is better for me right now, 'cauz the clock will keep ticking and it might be 8 or 10 seconds to the final shot. BUT...if I practice and I can do it in 4 or less, the answer is clear!!

Of coures, even with a slower time, a 'clean' stage may be more important.

MORE Practice is needed!!

An now I have a new 'training' procedure!

Knowing that one live round got 'jacked-out' during the stage and you are at the last target without a bullet - a decision must be made: Which is faster for me a - take the 5 second miss OR make the rifle safe, draw a round from the belt, get the round into the gun, chamber the round while gaining the target and make a clean hit!!!

I already know that the 5 second miss is better for me right now, 'cauz the clock will keep ticking and it might be 8 or 10 seconds to the final shot. BUT...if I practice and I can do it in 4 or less, the answer is clear!!

Of coures, even with a slower time, a 'clean' stage may be more important.

MORE Practice is needed!!

I jacked out a round on two different stages today myself.

reloads went good. Under what the miss would have been.

I use to not do then because I took way more time than the miss. But a multi world champ

told me that until you start doing them. You will never get better. So always reload at monthlys

if only for the practice.

If your hav'n trouble reload'n your 11-87, I feel sorry for ya. ^_^ Love mine. Best SG, Remmy ever made. ;)

1 for 1 is how I reload a SA revolver on the clock.

LG

Try it on the move and on the clock :blink: . Once I get the Versamax the 11-87 is going to be my deer shotgun.

Wallaby Jack,

What sort of stage instructions could be written to do what you explain but maintain 'equal' difficulty for all shooters (C&B, BP, and smokeless cartridge)?

Shootin' stages with full rifle reload and ending on a single shot reload...

Marshal Harland Wolff... Only wish I could go that fast!

I LIKE it!!

Load shells into the rifle and shoot, do the shotgun, do the two pistols and finish with a single rifle reload!!

Stage writers take notice!! Looks to me like it would not 'slow down' a posse very much.

(Although for us slow loaders, it could be fun to watch the dropped rounds as we fumble to get 'em all into the rifle!!)

NOW...how would this scenario fit for the BP shooters on the day??

Since it's rifle reloads only, would make no difference to BP shooters. (of which, aye are one)...

I LIKE it!!

Load shells into the rifle and shoot, do the shotgun, do the two pistols and finish with a single rifle reload!!

Stage writers take notice!! Looks to me like it would not 'slow down' a posse very much.

(Although for us slow loaders, it could be fun to watch the dropped rounds as we fumble to get 'em all into the rifle!!)

NOW...how would this scenario fit for the BP shooters on the day??

That happened quite a bit this past Sunday. I saw quite a few flipped cartridges since I was one of the spotters. This was not an issue with the 1860.

Wallaby Jack,

What sort of stage instructions could be written to do what you explain but maintain 'equal' difficulty for all shooters (C&B, BP, and smokeless cartridge)?

...... "Revolvers may each have their 6th round loaded at any time after each revolver is drawn to engage it's target sequence." ..........

:D

Archived