SASS Wire Forum

Shooting on the move

Dang It Dan 13202

I read that and spewed coffee all over my monitor!

:lol::lol::lol:

I know you didn't mean it that way, and I am not even picking at it. I just wanted you to know that you made me laugh and really made me happy when I needed that...

:D:D:D

I laughed too after you pointed it out. Never shot any spotters though,...yet.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great point about "tailoring you shooting style" because who is your spotter or who is on your posse!

Nothing worse than shooting a stage properly and having some bad spotter try to convince everybody how you walked while shooting!!!

Regards

Ringer

I agree, and stated this concept before on the wire, and got less than favorable responses

a feller might want to tailor their shooting to obtain the best results possible under the days circumstances,

As the timer operator I saw the shooter take about 5 steps while firing the rifle, from left to right on the stage (about 10 foot distance), while firing 10 shots downrange in this movement. Is that still within the basketball rule?

As the timer operator I saw the shooter take about 5 steps while firing the rifle, from left to right on the stage (about 10 foot distance), while firing 10 shots downrange in this movement. Is that still within the basketball rule?

There really isn't enough info in your post to tell you.

However, as long as the shooter moved no more than one foot while the hammer was cocked on any one round, then the shooter is fine.

The shooter could take one step between each round while the hammer was cocked and still be ok under the rule.

They can also safe to move without penalty with the action open or hammer down on spent cartridge or empty chamber.

IF the shooter took 2 or more steps while the hammer was cocked over 1 round, then assess the penalty.

SHB pg24

Movement is not allowed with a loaded, cocked firearm. Movement is defined by the basketball traveling rule. Whenever a shooter has a loaded, cocked firearm in hand, at least one foot must remain in place on the ground. 1st violation will result in a Stage Disqualification; 2nd violation will result in a Match Disqualification. This includes leaving the loading table with a cocked loaded firearm.

it depends of the shooting zone was described in the stage design

it the shooting zoon was less than 10 foot

hang em high at dawn (that was a joke folks) bout the hangin

I heard you witnessed this moving and shooting new thing that's taking off. I witnessed it yesterday and called the shooter to stop and explain. He explained and the match director said it's ok but this is going to open up a new way for everyone to shoot stages. What you say Tg's?

I have found that Match Directors that make calls when they didn't witness what ACTUALLY happened really are not going to have good TO/ROs very long.

If he/she moved both feet while a round was chambered, then cease fire and unload. This includes people that lever their gun and then side step because they can't see the target.

But chamber step, shoot, step, chamber, shoot is fine with me. Just don't move BOTH feet with a round in the chamber.

If you are slam firing a 97, I don't see how its possible to violate the basketball rule. The gun is either open with a round on the carrier or it is closed on a fired round. (A miss fire could get you in big trouble)

• 3 weeks later...

the shooter was ok to move as he did

Archived