SASS Wire Forum

Two back door gun ban schemes?

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

To be a bit Machiavlellian...

When you buy a new gun and fill out the Federal form, one of the questions is "Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana, or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other depressant?"

If you answer yes, you can't buy a gun.

If you live in a state where marijuana is "legal," you're still an unlawful user according to Federal law, so you'd have to answer yes.

Could this "legalization" of marijuana in some states be a backdoor gun control?

Some of us may own ivory grippled Colts, or other firearms. Due to the new ban on the sale of previously legally owned ivory, these guns are now contraband.

Is this another backdoor gun control scheme?

Just wondering...

Not really.

The conflict between the laws on marijuana in CO and WA vs the feds is nothing more than a turn in the step of legalization.

But it is NOT a gun control issue.

At least not in my opinion.

The 4473 form has NOT changed with regards to this issue.

Just don't smoke marijuana. Problem solved.

Just don't buy handguns with ivory grips. Problem solved

HK - what's your next "Just Wondering" gonna be?

Gonna have to add you in with "What's the Call" or "Where can I Find" bunch!

When you buy a new gun and fill out the Federal form, one of the questions is "Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana, or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other depressant?"

If you live in a state where marijuana is "legal," you're still an unlawful user according to Federal law, so you'd have to answer yes.

Could this "legalization" of marijuana in some states be a backdoor gun control?

Some of us may own ivory grippled Colts, or other firearms. Due to the new ban on the sale of previously legally owned ivory, these guns are now contraband.

Just wondering...

Well, those people haven't been able to legally possess a gun or ammunition since at least 1968. The fact that their state legalized marijuana and the feds didn't doesn't make them any less able to possess a gun than they were before. The law and their answer on the form remain the same, so no new guns have been banned by that section in the last 46 years. So, I'd say,. "no" it's not a gun ban attempt.

Guns with ivory grips? I have to say no again, since you can still sell the firearm and grips are only an accessory that is easily removed. Since the law only keeps you from selling a small part that can be replaced with one that works just the same, it doesn't ban any guns or restrict any gun sales.

I don't, and I won't. But, I'm just saying, some people who might think it's now "okay" are in for a surprise...

I suspect a lot of the people who just jumped into the marijuana business were also surprised at tax time. The Obama administration might have decided not enforce federal drug laws, but the IRS is still federal and that makes all marijuana income illegal income. That's not a major criminal law problem, but as a tax problem, you can't deduct the business expenses for your drug business (you can deduct business expenses for some criminal businesses). That means (simplified) if they pay $1000 for some marijuana and sell it for $1,500, they pay income tax on the whole $1,500.

Just wondering...

The medical marijuana is simple. The 4473 specifically asks "are you an UNLAWFUL user..." If you have a prescription, you are not unlawfully using. Just like when a person gets prescribed Class A narcotics, they are legally using said substances, and can answer "NO" on the 4473 to that question.

As for the ivory, that's actually pretty easy as well, all you have to do is prove that the ivory was imported prior to the raise of the ban and you're gravy. Manufacture date of the grips should be pretty easy. You may not be able to sell them, as I've heard horror stories about that, but if I had ivory grips, I wouldn't be fast to sell them anyway.

Ivory can also still be imported, it just must be prehistoric ivory, or hippo ivory (or elk I suppose, but you can't make a gun grip out of elk teeth). I have bought several newly carved ivory predator calls in the last decade, all legal. I've spoken with these call makers that have a line on ivory supply, I just can't get to the price that they'd need for gun grips.

The medical marijuana is simple. The 4473 specifically asks "are you an UNLAWFUL user..." If you have a prescription, you are not unlawfully using. Just like when a person gets prescribed Class A narcotics, they are legally using said substances, and can answer "NO" on the 4473 to that question.

As for the ivory, that's actually pretty easy as well, all you have to do is prove that the ivory was imported prior to the raise of the ban and you're gravy. Manufacture date of the grips should be pretty easy. You may not be able to sell them, as I've heard horror stories about that, but if I had ivory grips, I wouldn't be fast to sell them anyway.

Ivory can also still be imported, it just must be prehistoric ivory, or hippo ivory (or elk I suppose, but you can't make a gun grip out of elk teeth). I have bought several newly carved ivory predator calls in the last decade, all legal. I've spoken with these call makers that have a line on ivory supply, I just can't get to the price that they'd need for gun grips.

Actually, even with a Rx, you are still an unlawful user, according to Federal law. That's where I see a "problem."

Yeah, other forms of Ivory are okay, but if you've always wanted to save up and buy ivory grips for you Colt, or get an antique that has them already, you can't, because nobody who owns them, even though they are legally owned, can ever sell them, even with documentation.

Actually, the whole no selling of even old Ivory thing is probably unconstiutional as it amounts to goverment confiscation of goods without proper compensation....

and you CAN NOT be addicted to marijuana..Really gets my goat

Just don't buy handguns with ivory grips. Problem solved

HK - what's your next "Just Wondering" gonna be?

Gonna have to add you in with "What's the Call" or "Where can I Find" bunch!

Actually, just don't smoke pot with an ivory pipe..no affect on gun control laws

The ATF Form 4473 hasn't changed since 2012...No new anything in it regarding pot

There is no 'backdoor gun control' using the issue of legalizing pot as a basis.

Actually, even with a Rx, you are still an unlawful user, according to Federal law. That's where I see a "problem."

Yeah, other forms of Ivory are okay, but if you've always wanted to save up and buy ivory grips for you Colt, or get an antique that has them already, you can't, because nobody who owns them, even though they are legally owned, can ever sell them, even with documentation.

Actually, the whole no selling of even old Ivory thing is probably unconstiutional as it amounts to goverment confiscation of goods without proper compensation....

And when has this interfered with the various governments in this country in the past?

Nothing speculative HK; it's true. If you live in a State with legalized marijuana usage and you do, by doctor's prescription or by the fact that it is LEGAL in your state to partake (Colorado) you are still in violation of FEDERAL law, still an UNLAWFUL user of such AND, if you answer yes, the dealer cannot sell it to you. If you answer NO, even believing that you are not unlawful because you have a prescription or your state says its ok, see the previous. As such, you answer NO and you just falsified the 4473, good for 10/10 ($10,000 fine, 10 years in the slam)

If you want backdoor gun control, just look at the mania that is currently happening regarding mental health records. They can and HAVE decreed that anyone (such as a combat vet being treated for PTSD) is part of that mentally ill/can't have guns group. Saw a mental health provider and got treated for an...illness? Even though you were NEVER adjudicated by a court, the Government has just decreed you a non-gun owning person. Several States have obtained these confidential medical records, compared them to gun permit lists and the like and guess what they do when they knock on your door?

Just wondering...

Just say NO!

Howdy,

So can I own a gun with mariwanna grips?

Best

CR

I suspect you already do :wacko::D

I'll take a couple of lids.... I mean grips, make that 2 sets.

Carlos Murphy

Keep off my grass, I mean lawn. :blush:

LMAO!!!!!!!

can someone provide a link to the law on ivory grips please? is this already in effect or is it an upcoming law change?

thanks!

Archived