SASS Wire Forum

Old Sailors Never Die......

Dad turns 90 this year, and he had never been to the Caribbean.....

So Mrs. LL and I whisked him off to St. Thomas, and spent a few days sailing, sunning and sipping.

First, I have to hand out some big compliments to United Airlines and Marriott. Dad doesn't get around real well anymore, and needs oxygen. United treated him like precious cargo, with wheelchairs ready at every gate, and when needed, motorized carts to help him make his connections; the flight attendants checked and re-checked to make sure he had what he needed; and when he left his briefcase at a gate on the return trip, it was instantly on the next flight headed home. Great people, great respect.

Marriott was similar, with golf carts easing him around the resort and genuine concern that he was comfortable and accommodated. These folks cared, and showed it.

And a last "high five" to a group that a lot of us have concerns about; the twenty-somethings. Dad doesn't go anywhere without his "WWII Veteran" ball cap. In every airport and on every flight, folks approached him to thank him for his service, and the majority of those folks were under 30. They remembered, they understood, and they were considerate enough to approach him and speak with him. There were tears on his cheeks, like there are on mine now. God bless each one of them for helping him, and for letting him know that he and his compatriots are not forgotten.

Dad loves the sea, and this is the way I will always remember him - at the helm of a classic 40' sailboat, between St. Thomas and St. John, chin up, proud and determined.

http://s1174.photobucket.com/user/Franco6666/media/FWB%20Jr/GPaattheHelm_zpsa9b28336.jpg.html

LL

Dad turns 90 this year, and he had never been to the Caribbean.....

So Mrs. LL and I whisked him off to St. Thomas, and spent a few days sailing, sunning and sipping.

First, I have to hand out some big compliments to United Airlines and Marriott. Dad doesn't get around real well anymore, and needs oxygen. United treated him like precious cargo, with wheelchairs ready at every gate, and when needed, motorized carts to help him make his connections; the flight attendants checked and re-checked to make sure he had what he needed; and when he left his briefcase at a gate on the return trip, it was instantly on the next flight headed home. Great people, great respect.

Marriott was similar, with golf carts easing him around the resort and genuine concern that he was comfortable and accommodated. These folks cared, and showed it.

And a last "high five" to a group that a lot of us have concerns about; the twenty-somethings. Dad doesn't go anywhere without his "WWII Veteran" ball cap. In every airport and on every flight, folks approached him to thank him for his service, and the majority of those folks were under 30. They remembered, they understood, and they were considerate enough to approach him and speak with him. There were tears on his cheeks, like there are on mine now. God bless each one of them for helping him, and for letting him know that he and his compatriots are not forgotten.

Dad loves the sea, and this is the way I will always remember him - at the helm of a classic 40' sailboat, between St. Thomas and St. John, chin up, proud and determined.

http://s1174.photobucket.com/user/Franco6666/media/FWB%20Jr/GPaattheHelm_zpsa9b28336.jpg.html

LL

First, you're a good son and your wife is a great DIL.

Second, it's good to know that some people who take money for services or products do so with grace and care for their customers. (isn't it too bad they all don't?)

Third, thanks for mentioning the people who showed such gratitude and consideration for an old soldier. It's getting more common every day but it's still welcome.

First, thank your Dad for his service. Second, congrats to you and your wife for being such a great son and D-I-L. What a wonderful way to make memories with your Dad. That's a magnificent picture and one you will treasure more and more as time goes by. You're one to ride the river with and I'll shoot with you anytime!

First, thank your Dad for his service. Second, congrats to you and your wife for being such a great son and D-I-L. What a wonderful way to make memories with your Dad. That's a magnificent picture and one you will treasure more and more as time goes by. You're one to ride the river with and I'll shoot with you anytime!

+1,000

I appreciate the compliments; Dad is my hero and my role model; if I can be half the man he is, I'll be happy.

Mrs. LL is the most unselfish person I know; she lives to do good things for other people. I love her without reservation.

I hope I get the chance to shoot with all of you - you're my kind of folks!

LL

Archived