SASS Wire Forum

Black powder substitute loads for buckaroo

Cherokee Sam

Don't know much about BP. Would like to have grandson shoot a little BP with substitute this summer. Looking for recommendations for 38 marlin, 38 pistols and 12 ga. Don't want them do bowl him over

Are circle fly wads good idea?

What's difference between APP FFg and FFFg?

Any info will help

See Captain Baylor's "Black Powder Substitutes for Dummies" for load information. I would load below the minimum needed to meet the smoke standard for a legal Frontier Cartridge load for his revolvers and just have him shoot as a Buckaroo. A load meeting the smoke standard may have too much recoil for him. I can't imagine anyone objecting to a Buckaroo shooting such loads. The FFFg granulation of APP meters better than FFg and I prefer it for loading metallic cartridges. You don't need Circle Fly wads. There are plastic wads that work well. Others can PM you with their pet, light BP loads.

I've been loading Goex black, and Pyrodex in 12 gauge and experimenting with all kinds of loadings. Common to all is 7/8 oz of shot and plastic wad. Mary loves to shoot these loads in Stoeger coachgun and PW87. We've found that the black powder and subs loads have a different recoil and tends to be more of a shove.

7/8 oz shot, claybuster gray wad, and, since we cannot post load data, enough powder to get the column height right.

My son, when he was 10, was shooting these without issue.

I seem to recall some recent posting from Captain Baylor that they tested some 32s over .7cc of fffg Goex and related that the adjudicators found it to meet the smoke standard.

YMMV

I started out using less than a square load. That is less real black powder than shot in volume. I've reduced the powder considerable and still have a load that I think will knock down targets. As far as smoke, light loads my be marginal but it's a bit subjective anyway. A lot depends on the wind and humidity. I'll probably only shoot BP in shotgun for a while.

Archived