SASS Wire Forum

45 Colt brass for reloading

Got some once fired 45 Colt brass with mixed head stamps and most of it is stamped "Top Brass 45 Colt Blank" which means, I presume, that the brass was loaded as a blank round. Can I reload this brass as a regular SASS round? A single case weighs at 114.7 grains empty with no spent primer in the pocket. I have some Starline 45 Colt and it weighs 107.2 grains empty with no spent primer in the pocket, so it seems like the Top Brass cases would be sturdy enough. What say you?

PBQ

Check the primer pocket thru hole diameter. Blank cases are typically enlarged and should not be used for smokeless loads.

What Yusta said.

Howdy Preacher,

besides the enlarged 'flash hole', some .45 COLT BLACK cases are sized for a SG 209 primer. I've got some that were manufactured for the 209 primer and love to use em with wax bullets.

But I must admit, I don't know if my particular brass is Top Brass brand.

..........Widder

Yeah, if the flash hole between primer pocket and the main case is larger than normal (larger than the decapping pin in your sizing die), you will get high pressure back through the primer, possibly locking up your guns or even blowing back brass fragments into your face. Scrap out those cases and find standard cases for your Cowboy use.

Good luck, GJ

If you have enough of them, you could always trade them or give them to a reenactor who shoots blanks.

Somebody out there can use them & will be glad.

PBQ,

you could keep them and use them like I have used some of mine.

I have some short barrel Rugers (3.5") and even a primer can produce a small flame out of short barrels.

Anyhow, I had some waspers (them ornery red kind) build a nest in some cinder blocks I had at the entrance to my basement.

They had a small hole in the top of the block and built their nest down in under the ground level, inside one of the empty areas of the cinder block.

Anyhow, I put 6 blanks in each revolver and stooped down close to the entrance hole of that wasp nest. When a wasp flew in or out, I would 'flame it'. Everything went o.k. until I flamed the 3rd wasp and thats when the other wasp, down inside that hole, decided to get alittle irritated and start flying out alittle quicker.

Lucky for me, there were only about 10-12 wasp in that nest and I was able to flame em all before any could sting me.

The 'flame' didn't kill any of them but only burnt their wings. I was able to just step on em and finish em off.

It was a blast. I keep a box of blanks ready just in case I find another wasp nest like that. Heck, I've even gotten under my deck and blasted a few with those blanks but ya gotta make sure none of them fall down on ya in the process.

p.s. - oh yea, one more thing. Besure you have quick reaction time and can shoot fast or else the plan will backfire on ya..... :lol:

..........Widder

Widder,

That was a pretty mean post, since you know I ain't fast.

On the other hand, if you could figure out a way to catch some of them wasp and then use 'em for a bonus on one of the stages at SMSS shoots, it might speed up the match. 'Course gettin' stung should be penalty enough!

Preacher

Thanks for the info on the enlarged primer holes. I found 3 of them in my bag of Starline brass I've picked up off the range.

I put them all in the recycle bin.

Funny thing is I picked them up on a CAS Range, no mounted shooting at all.

I wonder if someone was using them with BP????

Thanks for the info on the enlarged primer holes. I found 3 of them in my bag of Starline brass I've picked up off the range.

I put them all in the recycle bin.

Funny thing is I picked them up on a CAS Range, no mounted shooting at all.

I wonder if someone was using them with BP????

No need to use enlarged primer holes with BP. Might be slightly safer than with smokeless, what with the lower chamber pressures, but still not a "good practice".

Probably came from some Cowboy shooter with a "pard" who shoots mounted. Or, a lost brass match where they thought they could dump all the .45 Colt cases together and sell it all!

Good luck, GJ

Bet they'd work well with wax bullets and feral cats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, if the flash hole between primer pocket and the main case is larger than normal (larger than the decapping pin in your sizing die), you will get high pressure back through the primer, possibly locking up your guns or even blowing back brass fragments into your face. Scrap out those cases and find standard cases for your Cowboy use.

Good luck, GJ

Uhhh, the flash hole SHOULD always be larger than your decapping pin... otherwise you won't get much decapping done! :ph34r::ph34r: Std. flash hole for large primers s/b ~.080". I've drilled regular cases out to 1/8" (.125") to use them as blank cases... never to be loaded with projectiles again. I also "notch" the rim so they're easily identified! How many ya got?

Archived