SASS Wire Forum

Anybody know anything about US Sporting Arms Abilene revolvers

Deuce Stevens SASS#55996

Looking at a US Sporting Arms revolver. The model is the Abilene and it's in .357 mag. Very nicely finished gun in about 95% condition. 4 1/2" barrel. I know that they were bought out by Mossberg and sued by Ruger at one time. This one was made in New York. Any info or actual market value anyone can provide would be great. Thanks

While I cant speak to their current value, I can say, they are fine guns. I owned one that I bought new in the early 1980's. Also in 357 magnum. Sold several years ago. Never any issue at all with it. I really wouldn't mind if I still had it. As I said, a fine firearm.

There are several results on the Internet when searching for Abilene revolvers. One thing of interest is that there are no parts for them. They were made in Happauge, on Long Island and are apparently a well made firearm; the 357 is drilled from a 44 Mag blank, so it should be a fairly strong design. The company was sued by Ruger because of the transfer bar. They were bought out by Mossberg and were never marketed after that.

This might be more than you wanted to know, but here you go…..this link has the history of the “Seville” pistols which you will see originated with the United States Arms and the making of the "Abilene" SA revolver in the late 1970’s from about 1975 to 1979. After about 1980 the company was sold and the pistol changed names to the Seville. So if the gun is marked Abilene then it would be from the late 1970's.

http://www.singleactions.com/Seville.pdf

The only Abilene I’ve seen was 357mag, blued, 4 &5/8 barrel, adjustable rear-site, long tapered triangle front site, gold medallions on two-piece smooth walnut grips, and on the left-side of frame had “United States Arms 357mag Riverhead NY Abilene”. It was a very nice and solid feeling and well balanced gun, but I was looking for a pair for CAS at the time. Hope this is of interest, Good luck! Buck. Oh, it was a year ago and the asking price was $475 as I recal,l which seemed a lot to me at the time.

Archived