SASS Wire Forum

SASS ROC Rulings

Captain Bill Burt

It seems to me that the rules manuals for SASS are analogous to the Constitution of the United States; they lay out the rules under which we operate. It's therefore logical to compare the statements of the RO Committee to the rulings of the US Supreme Court. In a similar fashion "What's the Call" questions are similar to cases that sometimes come before the USSC and can result in clarifications of Constitutional Law.

We all have easy access to the SHB, ROI and ROII manuals. Why not a listing of ROC Rulings on unique occurrences or unclear issues? It seems to me that would make applying the rules easier and would lighten the load on PWB and BJZ. On the downside we'll have less to 'discuss' on WTC issues since often we'll be able to reference the ruling. When we can't we wait for a ROC statement then add it to the list.

I suggest setting up the question, then linking the applicable thread with the post number where the ruling is made.

Here's my first addition.

I had to think before I responded - Similar ideas have been suggested up to & including a mini-me clone of PWB. You'll find it would still be debated. I view PWB as definitive answer on here. Yet I still watch in amazement as some folks at times question the clarifications and answers he gives them. It's like they can't believe what the rules say. If we had more taking refreshers as the rules change or are clarified there would be fewer questions as most are handled in the classroom. Granted you can not cover everything, but most of the reoccurring items can be, which leaves the occasional item that crops up at a match. I've now said more than I intended since all I wanted to say is it would still get debated.

Charlie

You beat me to it Diamond Doug. I've seen PWB post that link in the past on "What's the Call" topics that were covered at that link.

This is just one part of greater problem!

THat problem is the quality of the rule books. Note there are 3 of them and they still miss stuff.

They are not coordinated. There are duplications, and sometimes they are worded slightly differently.

There are places in the rules where clarity is not consistent.

Then there are counter intuitive concepts.

There are still rule like things that are NOT written down anywhere.

All the rulings should be coalated (sp) and collected into another manual like thing on sassnet.com

for reference.

Using the forums here on SASS Wire is not necessarily the best way to do this function.

We need an index of some sort.

The complexity or incompleteness of the SASS rules are part of SASS and need to addressed as part of SASS not some other web page.

The complexity or incompleteness of the SASS rules are part of SASS and need to addressed as part of SASS not some other web page.

The OOWSS "RO Corner" happens to a convenient & accessible place for me to post & store the clarification docs, as well as archived CC articles relevant to recent rule changes.

If anyone has an issue with posting that information on a PUBLIC ACCESS website other than the SASS homepage, it only takes a word & I can delete the whole page.

Archived