SASS Wire Forum

What's the Call

irish ike, SASS #43615

The shooting sequence, round count etc. doesn't matter. The last guns to be shot are the pistols. Shooter pulls first pistol, using two hands shoots it dry. Lays the gun down on the table, pulls the second pistol, shoots it dry. Holsters the second and then picks up the first pistol and holsters it. Gets his long guns heads to the ULT.

I ask him about it doing that as being illegal. As in gun leaving the control of the shooter. He says he was told he can do that, legally, as long as the pistols are the last to be shot.

I know you don't have to holster the first pistol in a shooting string if your shooting dualist and hand the gun off to your weak hand. As long as you holster it before moving onto the next gun or completing the stage.

I'm on the side of a minor safety but then again!!!

Ike

NEXT SHOOTER.... see "gun safe to leave shooter's hand" and Definition of a competed string.

NEXT SHOOTER.... see "gun safe to leave shooter's hand" and Definition of a competed string.

+1

He holstered pistols at the end of the pistol completed pistol string.

Doesn't matter what shooting style the shooter is using...it's a LEGAL move.

Why would a two-handed shooter be treated differently than a Duelist??

Hi Ike,

Like others have said, reread the rule. (p. 12 ROI "Revolvers are returned to leather after the shooting string."

It is legal. The pistols must be holstered at the end of the string for that type of gun. It would be illegal if the rifle or SG was shot between the two pistols. No matter if it is last gun or not. It just wouldn't be as efficient in the middle of the stage as the gun would still be holstered on the clock.

The first time I saw it, most of the posse was rather shocked. Then, without any argument realized it was okay.

Regards,

Allie

I'm busy typing. " this should be unaminous..." and guess who pops in with a thread-killing remark? ^

Yup. It's something I sometimes intend to do but because of muscle memory, the gun usually goes to leather anyway.

Fillmore

Minor Safety RO1 page 13 number 7 Revolvers are returned to leather after the shooting string.

page 15 number 6

Revolvers are returned to leather (re-holstered) with hammer down on a spent case or empty chamber at the conclusion of the shooting string, unless the stage description specifically directs otherwise; e.g., "move to next position and set gun on table or prop." A shooting string is defined as shots from one type of firearm prior to the next type of firearm engaged. (Gunfighters may choose to shoot five rounds, safely stage their loaded revolvers, hammer down on a spent cartridge, shoot another firearm, retrieve the revolvers, and finish the "shooting string" before re-holstering.)

Sorry my bad Reading into it to much.

Doesn't matter what shooting style the shooter is using...it's a LEGAL move.

Why would a two-handed shooter be treated differently than a Duelist??

Well, because duelist is coolest, of course! :) I knew it is legal from a discussion about it at WR a couple of years ago.

Minor Safety (incorrect according to your quote) RO1 page 13 number 7 Revolvers are returned to leather after the shooting string.

page 15 number 6

Revolvers are returned to leather (re-holstered) with hammer down on a spent case or empty chamber at the conclusion of the shooting string, unless the stage description specifically directs otherwise; e.g., "move to next position and set gun on table or prop." A shooting string is defined as shots from one type of firearm prior to the next type of firearm engaged. (Gunfighters may choose to shoot five rounds, safely stage their loaded revolvers, hammer down on a spent cartridge, shoot another firearm, retrieve the revolvers, and finish the "shooting string" before re-holstering.)

Sorry my bad Reading into it to much.

Legal move. No call.

It only becomes a problem when stage writers say "With first pistol engage targets in ... order, holster. With second pistol engage targets..."

I quit writing them like that but some writers still do.

It only becomes a problem when stage writers say "With first pistol engage targets in ... order, holster. With second pistol engage targets..."

I quit writing them like that but some writers still do.

But those statements are null and void if shooting gunfighter, so why not all other categories, since the "why would you treat a two handed shooter different than a duelist" should apply?

Sheesh, let the shooter decide, and take the consequences. Don't overwrite the scenarios.

But those statements are null and void if shooting gunfighter, so why not all other categories, since the "why would you treat a two handed shooter different than a duelist" should apply?

Sheesh, let the shooter decide, and take the consequences. Don't overwrite the scenarios.

Right, it's pointless. I shoot Frontiersman in double duelist style and frequently don't reholster my first pistol immediately.

That stage writing is really just an old habit for those writers. They don't call me on it because the posse knows the rules.

Archived