SASS Wire Forum

Polymer Coated Bullets

Zekest Crowe

Any experience with Polymer Coated Bullets?

Not the Moly coated bullets that were all the rage a few years back, but "soft" lead cast bullets that have been coated with a polymer instead of standard bullet lubricants.

I was told they were SASS legal as they are NOT copper washed, and the polymer does NOT contain any metal, and the polymer provides much less splatter than traditional lead cast bullets.

Thanks y'all.

That's what I'm talking about John Boy. Works fantastic with a minimal investment. If you can swish some cast bullets around in a teaspoon of Harbor Freight or other brand of polymer coating in a cottage cheese tub, you might be able to coat your own.

I've been working on powder coating (pc) now for several months, I'm on cast boolits form, too. In a nutshell you spray a bunch of bullets sitting on a try with powder out of an Electro Static gun (Harbor Freight has them for about $50) Then bake the boots at 400* in a toaster oven or something similar.

HF has matt black, red, yellow and white powders for about $4 per lb right now. Reg price is $7. You can pc plenty of bullets with a lb.

Some folks, me included, have had luck just putting the bullets in a cool whip plastic container and swirling them around then baking.

You don't have to lube them and they are cleaner than regular uncoated lead bullets with lube. The coating does add a bit to the diameter so I size mine with a Lee push through sizer

per SASS rules they are legal. I've done them in all the colors but white but will be sticking to black and gray, which can be purchased at Powder by the Pound and other on line places for SASS shoots. Not sure how many 1880 cowboys had red bullets.

Right now just experimenting and joying something new. After a season I'll reevaluate

cr

I have been trying the ones sold by SNS. -- gold in color

So far, I think I like them.

Very slight change in velocity.

Also, they will run through a bullet feeder better than wax lubed bullets.

I have been shooting the Herters brand sold exclusively by Cabela's 45 ACP rounds in my 1911s in local Wild Bunch Action Shooting matches. They are made for Cabelas by CCI/Blazer. They work great. So I asked over on the SASS WB Wahr and was told in no uncertain terms that they were not legal for SASS sanctioned Oh-ficial matches.

Never mind that the terminal effect is identical to all lead projectiles. Never mind they work well nay great and cause no more target damage maybe less. Never mind they are a great idea and a great round. Never mind the non reloadable aluminum cases do not HAVE to be shagged before proceeding to the next shooter. Never mind they make so much sense and are cheaper than brass case rounds.

Just NO NO NO. Phooey. So I will continue to use them in local matches where common sense prevails and save the brass rounds for big sanctioned matches.

So there ye go -- the SASS ptb outlaw all plastic coated projectiles just as they do frangibles (but that is another thread).

I do not know the official edict on powder coated bullets. Are you pards claiming that they are SASS legal sure about that?

I'm not. I know the molys are and always have been, just don't know about the powder coateds.

FWIW - In case you hadn't noticed, WBAS rules are often different from SASS CAS rules...I would suggest you direct WBAS-related comments to that forum...their rules don't apply to "SASS-sanctioned" matches that are NOT WBAS-regulated (i.e. NON "Wild Bunch" matches/sidematches).

I guess I'm convinced that it's easy to powder coat the bullets. I'm curious as to what the real benefits are of powder coating bullets, and if the benefits outweigh the extra effort expended.

In other words, if you've done this, convince me it's worth it!! :D

Laz

for me it boils down to a couple of basic things:

1. cleaner barrels

2. don't have to lube them (do have to do the pc but it's less messy

3. fun--right now it's a hoot to see them in colors. Always like to try new stuff.

just saying.....

cr

Cheyenne - sure do have to admit - Their Pretty!

I usually skip over the powder coat Cast Boolits threads but ... just maybe have to give it a try

Question: Using the powder coated bullets - is there any lube starvation or leading and what does the foul look like?

No leading or other problems that I have seen. Shot a match's worth thru my Ruger Vaquero and 2 quick passes with a patch was all it took to have the barrel clean--probably could have used just one but wanted to make sure with the second one.

FWIW: I understand the USPSA crowd has been using them for awhile and they like them

Right now I'm still developing the 'mass production' part of the coating process. Since it's all new to me I'm having fun 'messing' with it.

Finding I'm running out of cast bullets to use--keep having to go back to the lead pot and molds to have enough to pc

cr

This may help also for around 8 weeks been shooting powder coat bullets out of a 44/40 works great but I move up to hot coat powder works better than Harbor Freight .with the better coating use a dry tumbler with around 100 bullets lee dipper 3.5 two times then in the oven. Machine grey works the best good luck

https://www.facebook.com/groups/492980787487418/

I was in my local cowboy stuff supplier yesterday..

He sells SNS lead..

I noticed all the 125 grain TC were these polymer coated gold..

I hesitated and didn't buy any..

Just thinkin' in my ol' ways I reckon..

So...

They don't have the blue wax ring seal I'm use ta seein' in the groove?

And they are fine to reload and shoot?

What seals them?

Rance ;)

Thinkin' I reckon I'm gonna' have ta change my ol' ways..

I'm guessing because them boolets ain'y copper washed or coated yer guna suffer from polymer fouling in yer bore. :(

Carlos Murphy

Archived