SASS Wire Forum

Missing plane

Rye Miles #13621

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's gettin stranger and stranger.

Okay, at first I suspected to monkeys in the cockpit with over and over dependency on automation and a contrlled crash into the ocean, then when I heard there were no distress calls, transponder codes or ELT signals, I thought massive in flight explosion. Now we hear there were no radio calls and no transponder code and after the aircraft reached cruise at FL 370, now saying the aircraft turned left heading 250 and descended below radar. Appears a small military radar picked up the aircraft at low altitude and heading west. passenger cell phones were still ringing days after the disappearance. BTW the 777 has two transponders, both went in -op.

The 777 has a range of 7,000 miles, I suspect the tanks were full as the pax load was light. Makes you wonder if there was something the flight that someone wanted OR someone wants a 777 to be used at a later date for something sinister.

Okay, at first I suspected to monkeys in the cockpit with over and over dependency on automation and a contrlled crash into the ocean, then when I heard there were no distress calls, transponder codes or ELT signals, I thought massive in flight explosion. Now we hear there were no radio calls and no transponder code and after the aircraft reached cruise at FL 370, now saying the aircraft turned left heading 250 and descended below radar. Appears a small military radar picked up the aircraft at low altitude and heading west. passenger cell phones were still ringing days after the disappearance.

The 777 has a range of 7,000 miles, I suspect the tanks were full as the pax load was light. Makes you wonder if there was something the flight that someone wanted OR someone wants a 777 to be used at a later date for something sinister.

Interesting! It'd be a miracle but I do hope all those passengers/crew are safe.

Check the nearest chop shop , that aircraft is sitting on milk crates someplace .

With a range of 7000 miles, give or take, that critter could have gone anywhere. The thing is, they would have had to descend pretty fast to get under radar, so as to come in "on the deck" to somewhere. If that's the case, then a bird that big would have to land at some fairly long runway, especially if they intended to take off again. I heard the search has expanded to Viet Nam. Now, if that plane went down somewhere it might not be found for a looong time. A classmate of mine was the backseater in a RF-4 that disappeared off the radar over South Viet Nam in 1968 or so. They had called in "feet dry" (coming over land from the ocean), when they simply vanished from the screen. Never have found the wreckage! :( .

Based on the released evidence I have two theories.

Theory #1:

The plane was taken over and the cockpit crew removed from control. Then some amateur took over the controls and cut off the transponders. The amateur's then descended in an attempt to evade radar and changed course. While flying at low altitude, the amateur stalled the plane and flew it into the ocean....somewhere.

Theory #2:

There have been several instances reported of smoke and electrical fire on this type of aircraft. If they had an electrical fire in the cockpit, it could explain the loss of radio communications and navigation. I don't know about the transponder but it might be possible. The cockpit is filling with smoke so the pilots drop altitude so they can depressurize the aircraft and get some outside air. They also head back towards land but with no ground reference and the cabin full of smoke, they don't make a complete 180 degree turn. By the time they cross land again, the smoke has taken out the pilots and the plane continues on to crash in the ocean.

I'm coming down with a col so I watched the 'news" off and on all night long.

It has been interesting watching the talking heads expound on about 10 different "extremely good" leads that all amounted to the same thing.

Nothing.

It's things like this that really build your confidence in the veracity of our news media.

Years ago while I was working in the shipyard in San Diego . . . a crane operator made a mistake and dropped the boom of a crane. ( no one was under it. ) . . . . then next evening I was having lunch with a friend of mine who was the second shift safety supervisor. She asked me what I thought about the accident with the crane. I just said, . . . .

"Everything that goes up must come down. Some of it comes down quicker."

But there is quite a mystery about this one . . . . :wacko:

Hmmm....

Yahoo news sez "Missing Plane Tracked to Coast..." :huh:

Not to digress, but I find this to be the most disturbing part of the incident:

China has deployed 10 satellites using high-resolution earth imaging capabilities, visible light imaging and other technologies to "support and assist in the search and rescue operations", the People's Liberation Army Daily said.

Isn't that, like, kinda OUR thing? Why are we letting the Chinese take the ball in this respect?

Have any of you ever seen the movie "Groundhog Day"? This missing plane search reminds me of that movie.

"Planes just don't disappear"

They do if they're abducted by aliens!!!! :P

I was the first couple of seasons....I'm starting to think Rye might have a point......

and now CC thinks I'z gonna git on a plane?????????

chicken!!!!!!!!!!!

This is starting to sound more and more like a implausible Hollywood thriller. Consider:

Henchmen of an evil genius take over one of the biggest and longest range airliners in the sky. It's flown to a remote location in the Middle or Far East, where the passengers and crew are quietly dealt with. The plane is repainted, transponder reprogrammed, and an EMP device loaded aboard. The plane assumes the identity of another, scheduled flight (another hijacking?) and flies to the Eastern seaboard. Over DC the device is detonated, plunging the United States and the West into the Second Dark Ages.

Or... it could just be Calico.

Hmmmmm.

Big modern plane with experienced crew disappears right outside of radar range without a peep from anybody. Two Iranian passengers on board with stolen passports and one way tickets purchased with cash. I'm thinking those sneaky arabs might have something to do with this.

Or it could be aliens......

You might be on to something there, Bob.

Latest rumor is that it could have been flown to Iran or Pakistan.

Naaaa, they wouldn't steal an airplane, would they?

You might be on to something there, Bob.

Latest rumor is that it could have been flown to Iran or Pakistan.

Naaaa, they wouldn't steal an airplane, would they?

I wonder what they'd want to do with a jumbo jet?

I wonder what they'd want to do with a jumbo jet?

Iran has nuclear material, (they have already developed an actually bomb), what they do not have is a delivery vehicle that make it to the US, as Uno mentioned, they could cram the air frame with high explosives and nuke material (think giant dirty bomb). Take the air craft off under radar, shadow a scheduled air carrier, detonate the scheduled air carrier over the ocean with a remote bomb and at the same time punch in the transponder code of scheduled air liner. Fly it into a NYC or Washington area and crash it or blow it up over the city to disperse the radiation.

Think about it, if you were going to steal an aircraft like the 777, where they snatched it is perfect, 3rd world security, probably accomplices within the gov, limited radar coverage, limited visual areas.

sound far fetched? nobody thought the they would fly 4 airplanes into targets in the US either.

Iran has nuclear material, (they have already developed an actually bomb), what they do not have is a delivery vehicle that make it to the US, as Uno mentioned, they could cram the air frame with high explosives and nuke material (think giant dirty bomb). Take the air craft off under radar, shadow a scheduled air carrier, detonate the scheduled air carrier over the ocean with a remote bomb and at the same time punch in the transponder code of scheduled air liner. Fly it into a NYC or Washington area and crash it or blow it up over the city to disperse the radiation.

Think about it, if you were going to steal an aircraft like the 777, where they snatched it is perfect, 3rd world security, probably accomplices within the gov, limited radar coverage, limited visual areas.

sound far fetched? nobody thought the they would fly 4 airplanes into targets in the US either.

Let us not forget that "individual" Kim lives nearby also...............

How bout, rather than stealing for use at a later date, maybe they were planning to use it that very day as a "suicide crash" jet for some target within the 7000 nautical miles. And were just too stupid to get it to the target ?

CBO

Now Fox News is asking the question about the captain: Why, with over 18,000 hours in his log book, need a flight simulator in his home? (Why do any of us need a gun in our home?) And I thought Fox was fairly conservative. BTW, wasn't there a scenario in a W.E.B. Griffin book where one of his characters (a good guy) skyjacks an airplane and flies it to Argentena or somewhere from North Africa? You don't suppose...Naaaa! :ph34r:

( And I wish he'd do one more book on the Corps series. I'd love to know what happens to Ken McCoy, Zimmerman, et al.) ;)

And they're saying now that the engine manf was still getting data from the engines up to 5 hours after the transponders when silent...

Somebody has the plane, somewhere.

Do you really think that the folks in the know are going to give information to the press?

Feed the story and let them have all the wild schemes they can dream up. Keeps them off our butt.

One thing that the talking heads in common, it diarrhea of the mouth. They gotta fill up those air time hours with something.

IMHO, the worst fears are being realized that some group has actually stolen a loaded airliner out of the skies. If they have managed to pull this off can you imagine the damage that will be done to the airline industry, stock markets world wide etc. . If they use this as a WMD at a later date?

Yeah, it's a bad deal anyway it goes if the plane was stolen.

I'm not optimistic about the passengers, no matter how it turns out.

God help them.

Hey, fer once I iz innocent....I'd hafta git ON tha plane ta STEAL tha plane....not happenin'!!!!!!

Undoubtedly, you're the evil mastermind.

Archived