SASS Wire Forum

A little Q & A - of late

Misty Moonshine

Hi everyone!

First and foremost, thank you all for your continued support. In an attempt to minimize the length of my near-novel letter to everyone yesterday, I did leave out some information- on purpose. I didn’t want the main message of the letter to be lost.

There is without a doubt a significant amount of additional information to be shared- and, moving forward, I will commit to sending out a quarterly member bulletin to help keep each and every member informed in terms of our progress in our mission, our member counts, and other important updates. Like, you know- how I'm struggling with turning 40 this year and all.

Just kidding, folks. I'll keep it business related; just trying to inject a smile here and there.

My intention is transparency. We have nothing to hide. (Like, you know- how I'm turning 40 and all.) :D

I cannot express the importance of making sure that we have your updated email address on file at SASS HQ. If you didn’t receive the digital Cowboy Chronicle yesterday via email, or my open letter via email- that means we don’t have your email on file.

Please get in touch with us so that we can correct that.

Email any of us:

Misty Moonshine: misty@sassnet.com

Angela Bellarose: angela@sassnet.com

Slipnoose: slipnoose@sassnet.com

Amber Oakley: amber@sassnet.com

Roxy West: amelia@sassnet.com

OR

Update through the website: Update Member Info

OR

Give us a call at 505-843-1320 or 877-411-SASS (7277)

In the meantime, some very legitimate and meaningful questions have been asked over the last 24 hours, and I will make an attempt to answer a few of them to the best of my ability for you below.

A little Q & A (The top 5 Questions from the last 24 hours)

March 6, 2014

1. Pfft! Yea right! Just what do you consider an average annual salary of a teacher?!

I try not to make statements I can't back up. According to the National Center for Education Statistics, the average annual salary of a school teacher in the United States during the years 2009-2010 is $54,819. Now, I'm certainly not at liberty (nor am I inclined) to divulge the current earnings of all of the Wild Bunch without their permission. I can, however, tell you that my current salary, as the CEO of SASS, is 50K/annually. I can also state the fact that no other member of the Wild Bunch makes what I make… most of them not by half.

2. What is the benefit of SASS transitioning to a not-for-profit?

Primarily- IMAGE. Goodwill. Ensuring that the SASS and the sport we all love will be around for generations to come.

It has been my observation for many years now that many members of SASS as well as some non-members have a difficult time "getting behind" and supporting the organization as it stands as a "for-profit".

Additionally, being a not-for-profit company will invariably ensure the transparency of our finances, salaries, expenditures, and other desired member information that many of our members have questioned.

You can quote me on this- for over a year now (since I first started proposing the transition), I have said, "We are already a non-profit- just not on purpose! Let's make it official and at least then we might get a tax break here and there!?"

3. Just how many companies are there, what are their status, and who "owns" them?

- SASS- The Single Action Shooting Society, a California Corporation

Owned by The Wild Bunch: Judge Roy Bean, Justice Lily Kate, Tex,

Cat Ballou, General US Grant, Hipshot, and (most recently joined WB) Misty Moonshine.

- Founders Ranch, LLC- A California LLC

Owned by Judge Roy Bean, Justice Lily Kate, Tex, Cat Ballou, General US

Grant, and Hipshot.

- SASS Scholarship Foundation, a 501(c )3

The SASS Scholarship Foundation isn't "owned" by anyone, but it does

operate under the SASS umbrella.

- SASS Western Heritage Museum & Cowboy Action Shooting Hall of Fame, a 501 ©3

The SASS Western Heritage Museum, like the Scholarship Foundation isn't

"owned" - but it does operate under the SASS umbrella.

4. What's all this about a legal issue at Founders Ranch?

Well, this is a bit of a long story, but below is a brief timeline/synopsis of what has occurred.

- Founders Ranch was purchased in 2004, and SASS began holding shooting events there. A significant amount of money was spent in terms of infrastructure, bays, roads, buildings, etc.

- At that time (2004) SASS was issued a Conditional Use Permit (CUP) for “Various SASS Activities”- (without limitation or restriction) to take place on Founders Ranch. The CUP was issued by Torrance County, in perpetuity. (SASS operates Founders Ranch)

- As the years have passed, and as finances allowed, a natural progression and evolution of the properties activities has taken place. This includes the development and initiation of a 40 acre Shotgun Sports club, a shooting enterprise of SASS. The Shotgun Sports club opened in the spring of 2009.

- The flashpoint: In May of 2011, we (I) leased the property to Red Frog Events (RFE), and they held the first NM Warrior Dash on Founders Ranch. Over 10K people showed up at once. RFE short on their management end, and it was a traffic nightmare. Neighbors of the property were furious. (*At the time, current property/event managers (me again!) were unaware that this was outside the scope of our CUP- rookie mistake!)

- In November of 2012, as a result of the activity not being allowable under our CUP, and under the advice of the county, we applied for a Special Use District with Torrance County in order to continue leasing/using the property for activities other than SASS activities. On January 9, 2013 the Torrance County Commission held a public hearing on SASS’s application. On January 23, 2013, the commissioners voted to deny the application; the Commissioners felt that SASS had not adequately addressed the traffic concerns (back to the Warrior Dash fiasco), and we were told to reapply after a traffic study to include volume and capacities could be conducted by a licensed engineer.

- The “vocal” group of neighbors felt that had won a battle against us, and were under the misunderstanding that we were under order to close the Shotgun Sports Club.

- We were assured by the County that our activities on Founders Ranch were within the allowable uses of our CUP.

- The neighbors continued to complain to Torrance County at every commission meeting, wanting our activities shut down.

- In April 2013, A group of the neighbors; “Mary Ann Ende, Brian Kaesman, Billie Mitchell, Jim Donis, et al” filed a lawsuit against SASS – “Complaint for Private nuisance, public nuisance, and injunctive relief’”, as well as an application for a restraining order to cease our activity on the property.

The application for the restraining order was denied, and we received word that we were to appear in court on May 12 for an injunction hearing. Due to an oversight on the Plaintiff’s attorney’s part, the injunction hearing was cancelled.

- In November, 2013, SASS’ attorney was contacted by the plaintiff’s attorney. They proposed a meeting to see if we could “work together in the future”. We were quite pleased that this might be a possibility! Our attorney and I met with 3 of the plaintiffs and their attorney. It became clear immediately that compromise was not an option, when I asked what we could do, they said, “Leave”. Ultimately, we were handed an ultimatum. In a nutshell, either we close the Shotgun sports club and hold only 3-4 SASS events annually on the property, or they will continue with the lawsuit, bring in additional plaintiffs, and “sue you for everything”; to include challenging the issuance of our CUP in 2004.

- At the conclusion of our annual board meeting in January 2014, the board decided NOT to agree to their terms. Our attorney is currently working on a motion to dismiss the lawsuit referenced above.

And, that’s where we are now. We are steeling our reserve, and willing to fight for what is ours. We have strived from day one to provide a safe environment for the enjoyment of firearms- not just for SASS members, but for all members of our community. We will not, as they say, go quietly into the night.

5. Without the printed Cowboy Chronicle delivered to my door, what do I get for paying my dues?

This is a question that cannot easily be answered with a laundry list of items. Membership in SASS means different things to different people. Some members simply want to support this great organization. Some want to keep their SASS number and their Alias registered and protected. Some stay active to enjoy the camaraderie and the truest of friendships formed over decades. Some members want to support the International governing and sanctioning body of the sport they love; Cowboy Action Shooting™. Others keep current just to be able to shoot the SASS sanctioned matches that require SASS membership. Others yet pay their dues to support the continuance of the shooting sports and firearms industry. And, apparently- some only paid their dues to receive the Cowboy Chronicle in their mailbox each month.

We realize the value of your membership dollars, and we strive to give you additional benefits that may not fall under the above tiers. In addition to those things above, being a SASS member also has some other perks:

• SASS member Travel Benefits on Rental cars, including discounts, coupons, and special offers from Avis, Alamo, Hertz, and National Rent-a-car
  • SASS Travel Benefits on Lodging from Howard Johnson, Wingate Inn, Ramada, AmeriHost Inn, Days Inn, Travelodge, Knights Inn, and Villager
  • Free coverage with Everybody Safe for SASS Members
  • Enrollment in our FREE Prescription Discount Program just for SASS Members
  • Exclusive offers for SASS members on shooting & leisure events nationwide

Our Membership Team at SASS is always on the lookout for great new opportunities and services for our members, and the benefits will continue to grow.

(I've just edited my original post to include the following FAQ of the day:)

6. What are the current active membership numbers of SASS?

As of today, March 6, 2014:

Active members: 32845

Life members: 7581

Stay tuned, folks...

More will come, with time.

Thanks again,
Misty

Dang, I wish I was turning 40.

Don't fret over it, Boon Doggle. I did it (25 years ago) and it ain't that much fun.

CH

Longshadow... your going to be celebrating the 1st anniversary of your 40th Birthday!!!

And YOU, will be celebrating the 40th anniversary of your FIRST. :o:lol::P

OK-I'm off to the woodshed now...... :D

L(who turns 63 this month)G

Thank You Misty.

This year will be the first one in awhile that I will feel good about sending in my membership fees.

The last few years I really did have to think about it.

But think you are now headed in the right direction.

Miss Misty you left 2 items out of Item# 5, unless something else has changed and I am unaware of it. 1) you left out the intellectual asset of the "Game" as it was designed and continues to be modified by the Board with the assistance of the Territorial Governors and 2) you left out our badges that we all got along with the membership card when we first joined. Both are equally important for us to remember going forward. And i am sure that none of us begrudge the Wild Bunch and SASS being paid for that.

Best of luck on your 40th, when I got home on mine there was a coffin in my living room. About 15 minutes later the door bell rang, when I answered it the Grim Reaper was at the door. I gave him a beer and put him off for awhile (21 years so far),

Thanks for all the info, it's nice to have the facts and not just speculation.

Randy

Thank you Misty, very informative. Keep us updated on the fight.

Misty, Three Words ... WOW, THANK YOU

And I must commend you for your communication. I know it didn't take you just 5 minutes to compose. And what an excellent business communication ... well written, very easy reading and command of the English language in narrative form ... FIVE STARS.

Thanks, I passed this on to Chorro Valley.

Fillmore

Excellent Misty!

If I can provide any info from the perspective of a 501 © 4 sports sanctioning body, member-owned, please don't hesitate to ask. We have been down the road converting from For Profit to NFP, as well as a long, expensive lawsuit proceedings.

Harvey

Misty,

Thank you for your prompt attention to the CC changing status, as well as other issues. I was very disappointed to read Tex's article. His words came with no for warning, and some of his comments were not of the "cowboy" way in my opinion. You are starting to regain my faith in SASS, and what we as a collective group stand for. You honesty, frankness, and insight into the inner workings of SASS is appreciated.

Could you address a few more items -

Annual dues - a disclosure of the balance sheet, and general operation costs, perhaps with a breakdown of what % or amount of our dues goes to the activities. Dues alone could account for over $1,000,000 in income - .

I tried the PDF version, not as bad as I thought - I will admit. I would ask that you work towards an Android and Iphone APP for a improved CC viewing experience.

Future of SASS - is there a 3 to 5 year plan? If so, can you share the vision of the WB with us?

Shootin Straight

Thanks, Misty.

No matter the organizational form, there needs to be a governing body for the rules. Sorry about the legal troubles. Attorney fees must be eating a significant part of revenues. Looks to me that the Wild Buinch is a form of shooting with 1911 pistols, and also the identifier of the current owners/board of directors. Correct that if it is not accurate. I could not find that anywhere but infer it from the postings. Consider changing one or the other term to differentiate in the interests of clarity.

Best wishes for success.

Chinook.

I still confused as to why people think they should be told what a private company, that they DON'T own, does with their money. SASS offered a product and you bought it. That's capitalism at its best. I hope they made gobs of money and used it to make themselves happy. If they threw it in a campfire every night then great as long as it made them smile.

You guys didn't buy SASS when you joined up. You bought a badge, a set of rules and the opportunity to make lifelong friends and memories.

Stan - who has made the most of his purchase

I still confused as to why people think they should be told what a private company, that they DON'T own, does with their money. SASS offered a product and you bought it. That's capitalism at its best. I hope they made gobs of money and used it to make themselves happy. If they threw it in a campfire every night then great as long as it made them smile.

You guys didn't buy SASS when you joined up. You bought a badge, a set of rules and the opportunity to make lifelong friends and memories.

That's the way I see it.

Agree 100%

Misty:

The more you provide factual answers, the more support, I believe, you will receive.

Take care

+1 I believe these are the right steps to be taking. That is the cowboy way straight forward with nothing to hide. :FlagAm:

Cheatin'

While I do agree with that.

I think for me anyway. It just shows a change in attitude in the SASS office. THAT for me is the biggest

thing I have taken from it.

I for one had just about enough of the old attitude after my first visit to EOT.

And feel this new attitude that Misty is bring is a breath of fresh air. And a much needed one.

I agree with Stan 100%. Anyone that's been on this forum for awhile remembers that I have "on occasion" been a very vocal critic of the way SASS has run things and questioned their general intelligence and business savy. However, from talking to Misty on several occasions recently, I'm VERY pleased with the developments at SASS HQ. These recent disclosures by her further my belief that SASS is in good hands.

Misty, WELL DONE GIRL!! This demands that I offer you an adult libation at the next shoot we cross paths at. Oh, BTW, 40 aint no big thing.....it's 50 that's a real PITA.

Archived