SASS Wire Forum

Stupid Questions for You Remington Shooters

I kind of got an itch to try another style of pistols. For y'all who shoot Remmies, what are your likes and/or dislikes? Handling wise, what is different between them and 1873's? I'm asking because I have never picked one up before. Thanks in advance.

Are you asking about the Remmie 1875 outlaw or the 1858 Cap and ball? i've shot those and the Colts The 1875's are heavier guns and they don't make a short barrel version .. Find someone with a pair and ask to try them. See how they fit your grip and comfort level.

Ike

I have a pair of 1875 Outlaws. The grips are smaller and a different angle than a SAA grip. I like them fine, for me they handle well for Duelist-style shooting. I got them for Frontier Cartridge Duelist or Classic Cowboy.

Are you asking about the Remmie 1875 outlaw or the 1858 Cap and ball? i've shot those and the Colts The 1875's are heavier guns and they don't make a short barrel version .. Find someone with a pair and ask to try them. See how they fit your grip and comfort level.

Ike

The '75's ARE available in 5 1/2". As Ike says, try to get your hands on some. I have smaller hands and can not easily reach the hammer on the Remingtons.

I had a pair of 75 Remingtons a while back. Weight wise they were very similar to the ORV's I had. Trigger reach was very similar also. The hammer spur was not as low as the SBH but was slightly lower than the ORV. Grip circumference and length were more Colt like.

They shot well for me and I always received compliments on them.

When it came time to thin the herd they were the first to go not because I wanted rid of them but because they were the ones pards wanted.

One problem that may or may not have been resolved since I got rid of mine was they tended to break hand springs. I replaced one of mine with piano wire and had no more problems, but I have heard that the hand springs from 58's fit and are more durable.

Hope this helps

Smoke

I have pairs of both 1858 conversions and 1875 outlaws. My conversions are in 45 Colt and the outlaws are 357's. I like both very much. Neither is really like a Colt SSA or clone, but the 1858's are closer than the 1875's in terms of the grips. Actually, I find myself shooting the Remingtons more that my Colts or USFA's. For me, both Remington models point quite naturally. I bet you would enjoy either of the Remmies.

TR

The 1875 Remington is slightly larger than the 1873 Colt. It has a one piece frame and grip assembly and has more room behind the trigger guard than the Colt. Both of my pairs, one set 7 1/2" the other 5 1/2" are .45 Colt. They are slightly more left hand friendly with the button for the ejector rod on the right side of the ejector housing. The "sail" that extends from the end of the ejector to the front of the frame bolts to the bottom of the barrel and doubles as the ejector spring and rod housing and also covers the cylinder pin.

The hand spring thing has occured on one of my 7 1/2" s after many years of shooting both smokeless and Black Powder. "58 springs work okay a polished spring or wire spring work as well.

In my experience the grips on my Remingtons are larger than even my Army model Colts and the hammer is very slightly lower as well.

Archived