SASS Wire Forum

73 carbine butt stock

Buck Garrett

Who has changed out the butt stock of a uberti 73? I'm thinking of changing to a carbine butt stock. Where is a good source? I would rather get an unfinished one, but don't want to do a lot of fitting.

Any stories of experience in this topic is welcome.

Thanks

I just bought an unfinished Uberti carbine buttstock from VTI. If I remember correctly, it was about $125. It fits the receiver nicely, but no screw holes were drilled and it's going to take a lot of sanding to get it flush with the receiver. I didn't want to spend another $100 to get the finish stock, but after getting the unfinished stock, I may have made a mistake.

I like a flat shotgun style butt rather than a crescent shape, so I cut of the end of the unfinished stock. There are many other producers of replacement buttstocks, but they are only for original Winchesters. Several people on this forum told me that they were able to adapt some of these original Winchester replacements, but it took some careful inletting modification.

I did a lot of swapping and now have both a crescent butt stock and a carbine butt stock for my 66.

I've changed then several times but now have gone to the crescent, I think, permanently.

have made no attempt to measure but it seems like the crescent brings the barrel a little higher than the carbine.

Archived