SASS Wire Forum

$850 for a nib 1971 colt?

evil dogooder

the centennial model. Nib 71\2 " .45saa

. I would be using it as a shooter not a collector.

Stay away or consider it?

Thank you

Howdy,

If that's what you like go for it.

The price is right.

But a ruger will probably run longer and more trouble free.

I prefer shorter barrels.

The SASS Vaqueros are named that for a reason.

Many prefer 38s also.

Best

CR

I would say snap it up and resale it to a collector and buy two of about any other cowboy gun that has no real collector value but better configured for cowboy action shooting.

+1

I have several sets of the NRA 1871/1971 Centennial SAA Colts and I have a 1911 of the same Centennial.

They are generally cheaper than a non-commerative Colt (go figure on collector values??)

The SAA's are 2nd gen Colts with special serial numbers, engraving on the barrel, special emblem on the grips and a wood presentation case.

Other than that, they are true 2nd gen Colts and great shooters. I am not a collector, and I don't believe in safe queens. Unless you are using them for an investment (commerative or standard Colt) it is crazy not to shoot them.

Roo

Howdy

Dunno if it is the one on Gunbroker, but for that price grab it and run away. Some folks like Rugers, some like clones. I have some of each, but I shoot real 2nd Gen Colts in CAS. No, I do not shoot the bezeezus out of them, I shoot them duelist with Black Powder and never shoot particularly fast. If you want to consistently be in the winner's circle, you might want something else. If you want a Colt, the commemorates are some of the best deals going. They usually do not command the prices of other collectables, something like Franklin Mint stuff being made to be collectable. I remember reading where Mike Venturino said one of his favorite SAAs was a 1973 commemorative. If you want a good shooter, and don't want to pay premium price, grab it.

P.S. yes, 1971 puts it into the 2nd Gen, and for what it's worth, I think 2nd Gens are better than 3rd Gens.

For what it's worth.

They are accurate repros of the early military guns and that means a skinny front sight and narrow groove rear sight, not the best for our sport. Like all 2nd generation guns they are well made and finely finished. $850 is a great price if unfired, commemoratives depreciate a lot if used. In all honesty, I think the recent production guns with better sights make better shooters. I had one of these and sold it.

It wouldn't be for our sport i have rugers i compete with. More of just a plinker/fun toy. I've always wanted a real colt. I'm not into collecting guns. I shoot everything i own

I have a pair, aftermarket spring set alone made them slick as I need. Paul Persinger ivory grips, engraving by Jim Downing and I have a great pair of guns. Sights are more than adequate for the distance we shoot. I haven't used back sights in years, but get the front sight anywhere on the target and I get hits, even with my old bad eyes. That price is excellent. I'd buy it.

By the time i got back to the seller it was sold. Off well. Thanks for the info everybody

Archived