SASS Wire Forum

Laser Training system for Cowboy Action

Key Hay

I was really thinking about using this system. Recently switched over to Gunfighter, so gawd KNOWS I need the practice.

Then I realized I have 5 computers with cameras in the house capable of recording (3 phones, laptop, tablet), and NONE of them will work because they're all Macs!! I have 2 PCs, but neither are anywhere near where I'm going to be practicing.

Has anyone else run into this problem? Anyone have a different solution??

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Move one of your PCs to where you will practice?

You could dual boot Windows on the Mac laptop or you could run Windows in a virtual machine on the Mac laptop.

I just bought a .38 spl from Waimea for my son. He shot it at the Iron Cowboy match this past weekend, of course I shot it a bit last Friday. Makes me want one in 44-40.

I have 3.

#1 is a 24" in 45LC that runs like a champ (guy I got it from in Texas thinks it was slicked up by Longhunter).

#2 is a very little fired 38 Comp that is currently with Slick getting worked.

#3 is a well worn 38 Comp that Widder is helpin me with (I am but a Padawan learner to the Jedi Master).

Ifin I ever win the Lottery I'll have lots more! Till then this little stable will have to keep me in B Western for a while till we get moved to the Carolinas next year.

Hi Will,

The solution for Mac users is a combination of VM Fusion and Windows 7. VM Fusion allows you to load and run Windows 7 and Windows based software on your Mac. Unfortunately, it will add approximately $150 to the price of the setup ($59 for VM Fusion and approximately $90 for Windows 7). If you are in the market for a new Mac, at some point in the future, some vendors offer VM Fusion for free.

Regards,

Photo Shooter

I bought a Marlin in .44mag last summer for $500 then sold it for $700. Wish I'd have kept it and converted it to .44-40. Dang things are gettin hard to find for less than $1K.

I was really thinking about using this system. Recently switched over to Gunfighter, so gawd KNOWS I need the practice.

Then I realized I have 5 computers with cameras in the house capable of recording (3 phones, laptop, tablet), and NONE of them will work because they're all Macs!! I have 2 PCs, but neither are anywhere near where I'm going to be practicing.

Has anyone else run into this problem? Anyone have a different solution??

I shot a few stages Gunfighter style at the Wolverton match. Would have never tried it without first practicing with the lasers!

Hey Key Hey, time for another video.

Maybe this time set up a full stage, pistol rifle and shotgun. Would have to use same targets for multiple guns with the limit on number of targets, but it's doable I think.

I'm actually thinking of selling a gun to finance a set up like this, and I pretty much never sell guns...

Maybe this time set up a full stage, pistol rifle and shotgun. Would have to use same targets for multiple guns with the limit on number of targets, but it's doable I think.

I'm actually thinking of selling a gun to finance a set up like this, and I pretty much never sell guns...

So the way I practice a full stage is when the beep goes off I dry fire a rifle stage (no laser), run the shotgun with dummy rounds (again no laser) then pistols (with lasers). I get to see what the total time was at the conclusion of the pistol run.

I have not been successful in making a laser for the Marlin rifle. The 73 will function with a Laser Ammo laser but the lever causes false triggers. For the Shotgun it's all about getting shells off your body and into the gun. Where you hit is less important to muscle memory.

I will get a video put up showing my practice routine soon (need my Junior film director to help me).

So the way I practice a full stage is when the beep goes off I dry fire a rifle stage (no laser), run the shotgun with dummy rounds (again no laser) then pistols (with lasers). I get to see what the total time was at the conclusion of the pistol run.

I have not been successful in making a laser for the Marlin rifle. The 73 will function with a Laser Ammo laser but the lever causes false triggers. For the Shotgun it's all about getting shells off your body and into the gun. Where you hit is less important to muscle memory.

I will get a video put up showing my practice routine soon (need my Junior film director to help me).

You obviously haven't seen me shoot a shotgun :D I'm having way too many make ups lately. But with POV video at the range you can generally tell where you are missing with the shotgun, for me it's high and right.

Thanks for the advice all. I'd been thinking about dual booting for Windows, but really didn't want to bump the price of the whole thing by the license fee. The annoying thing is that I've traditionally been the Windows guy (or Unix / Linux), and never understood the need for the Macs. Then again, I have a big beefy PC, and the laptop is my wife's. I guess I'm mainly annoyed that there's no way to do it w/any of the other 5 computing devices.

Maybe just ranting against the developers for not porting it to Mac??

Thanks again for the assists tho!

You obviously haven't seen me shoot a shotgun :D I'm having way too many make ups lately. But with POV video at the range you can generally tell where you are missing with the shotgun, for me it's high and right.

Yea I've been learning to Slam firing lately. I miss fast now!

Thanks for the advice all. I'd been thinking about dual booting for Windows, but really didn't want to bump the price of the whole thing by the license fee. The annoying thing is that I've traditionally been the Windows guy (or Unix / Linux), and never understood the need for the Macs. Then again, I have a big beefy PC, and the laptop is my wife's. I guess I'm mainly annoyed that there's no way to do it w/any of the other 5 computing devices.

Maybe just ranting against the developers for not porting it to Mac??

Thanks again for the assists tho!

Jason from Centrolutions is really good with support. Give him a call.

I have a rule to not sell a gun for anything else other than a gun but...

Waimea

:FlagAm:

Interesting, should be worth watching. http://www.aimtechsystems.com/video-marksman.html

My wife thought it bad enough that I bought the lasers and the software to practice with the pistols. I can't imagine what she's going to think when I go out and buy an 84" TV to hook into the laptop so I can have a more realistic looking stage.

JB

I looked at a couple other Software systems that use big screen TVs (BTW you have to put a reflective cover over the screen so the webcam can see the hits) or use a home theater (Screens reflect nicely). I don't have a home theater and I didn't want to tap a reflective screen to the TV every time I wanted to practice.

Additionally they were WAY more money and you're stuck with what what ever targets they have loaded in their database. I talked with one company and asked if they could do some cowboy targets. they didn't seem too interested. There target market is USPSA/IDPA and Concealed carry instruction. Cowboys ain't interestin enough.

• 1 month later...

As an update to my earlier posts.

I bought the Aimtech lasers for my Rugers. They're a solid product, and the company's tech support (which I used) is first rate. They've come to realize that Cowboy shooters ARE their market place after all. So, they've introduced, and are shipping next week, a version of their lasers designed for single action revolvers. If you have their current product, and you're using it only for single action revolvers, you may want to contact them for the VERY low upgrade price.

FYI, using these only once a week for the last few months has cut my shot time in half. If I could just figure out how to draw and holster faster, I could get beyond timing myself with a sundial.

JB

Merely using the lasers on targets where you can see the hits provides excellent feedback for dry fire practice. Concentrate on the front sights. I think it really helps exercise your eyes. I saw marked improvement after 1 week. Ran a 2.39 sec 10 shot gunfighter side match last weekend at senior games no chit. Best previous was 3.69. Also take Occuvite eye vitamins. Noticed a difference after just a few days.

HMMM, they must like you better than me, I've been waiting weeks for them to reply to a question. They have a magazine/barrel assembly that resets one of the S&W M&P auto pistols but they did not list which one in the advertising and do not respond to questioning on this!! I'm afraid that I wan lots of info when shelling out $300 for new toys.....

As an update to my earlier posts.

I bought the Aimtech lasers for my Rugers. They're a solid product, and the company's tech support (which I used) is first rate. They've come to realize that Cowboy shooters ARE their market place after all. So, they've introduced, and are shipping next week, a version of their lasers designed for single action revolvers. If you have their current product, and you're using it only for single action revolvers, you may want to contact them for the VERY low upgrade price.

FYI, using these only once a week for the last few months has cut my shot time in half. If I could just figure out how to draw and holster faster, I could get beyond timing myself with a sundial.

JB

I didn't know that about getting my original ones set up for CAS, I'm calling as soon as I get back from NC State match. Thanks Judge!

Broke down and emailed them one more time after my above post and got a response this time. The pistol I was asking about was a Smith and Wesson M&P PRO model and was told that there is a fair amount of custom that can be done so it was likely possible. If the pistol works I would then be looking at the actual target system. What I would really love to see, though fantasy dreaming, would be a score-able Texas Star spinning image.

• 2 months later...

Do they have a shotgun adapter and how is the laser in the rifle? I take it to use all four guns I would need four lasers, the software is rally the key IMO.

Do they have a shotgun adapter and how is the laser in the rifle? I take it to use all four gons I would need four lasers, the software is rally the key IMO.

They have a laser for shotgun but it's expensive. To me the best practice is getting the shells out of the belt and into the shotgun. The aim point is kinda secondary.

My current technique is to use the SW timer. When the beep goes off I dry fire the rifle and shotgun then use the pistols last. It tells me what my overall time is.

Aimtech is working on a rifle version that will be affordable, I'm suppose to get one as soon as they have some going into production. Fred from Aimtech says it should work for 73/66s and Marlins.

• 5 months later...

Oh I contacted them after you gave me the above info a few months back and asked if the hardware people had a CAS package for two revolvers, rifle and shotgun. They didn't at the time but we're developing one. Has it been relased yet to your knowledge. I understand the hardware is far superior to that of the other system out there. The software should really good as you could develope your own stages with simulated props and targets of different shapes and sizes. Once I get everything I'll get the projector so I can take full advantage of it.

Oh I contacted them after you gave me the above info a few months back and asked if the hardware people had a CAS package for two revolvers, rifle and shotgun. They didn't at the time but we're developing one. Has it been relased yet to your knowledge. I understand the hardware is far superior to that of the other system out there. The software should really good as you could develope your own stages with simulated props and targets of different shapes and sizes. Once I get everything I'll get the projector so I can take full advantage of it.

I have not been in contact with John for a while. Wife and I are getting the house ready for sale and have not picked up a cowboy gun since Nov 1st. Even my practice system is packed somewhere (Can't remember what box it went in Dang it).

I would still recommend using the pistols last and dry firing the rifle/Shotgun when the timer goes off. your last pistol shot will tell you overall time for the stage. Shotgun is really about getting the rounds in the chamber, not where you hit as much.

Kay hope the house sells and you get settled soon. Fo me I rather know I'm hitting where I'm aiming especially with timed practice. I tried some dry fire againgt a clock for muscle memory and I noticed I had develope a bad habit that I now had to correct. So I learned in the militay train like you play. The more realistic the training the better the traing is.

I use this same system and really like it. For my rifle I use the SureStrike laser cartridge. www.laser-ammo.com

I file the rim off where the extractor catches it so it won't extract. To use in a Marlin, you have to remove the ejector or it will want to extract the laser. The neat thing about the Aimtech laser is it can be adjusted for point of aim. I practice on 16 inch square targets at 7-8 yards in my living room.

MTJ

• 11 months later...

I hate to bring a dead post back to life, but I believe this one to be truly worthy. After another year, I believe I'm that much closer, since I think the missus is going to be coming out to play soon too. I think another way this is a great tool is the ability to create a far less stressful training environment for a new shooter than even live ammo.

I just had a good phone conversation with the folks at LASR, and I don't believe their laser ammo solution will work for SASS (~ $110 per round, x 11 for 2 revolvers and a rifle. that being said, I'm looking at playing with Aim Tech and Sure Strike to see if either would be a worthy replacement. If there's any interest, I'll try to keep everyone posted!

I hate to bring a dead post back to life, but I believe this one to be truly worthy. After another year, I believe I'm that much closer, since I think the missus is going to be coming out to play soon too. I think another way this is a great tool is the ability to create a far less stressful training environment for a new shooter than even live ammo.

I just had a good phone conversation with the folks at LASR, and I don't believe their laser ammo solution will work for SASS (~ $110 per round, x 11 for 2 revolvers and a rifle. that being said, I'm looking at playing with Aim Tech and Sure Strike to see if either would be a worthy replacement. If there's any interest, I'll try to keep everyone posted!

The AimTech lasers work great with the LASR computer program and you only need one per revolver. You can add your rifle to your practice with a single Laser Ammo cartridge. Shotgun too but I never purchased the shotgun lasers.

CB

Kay, why did you select the software over the aimtec bsaftware? I went with the aimtec software plus I'm using their lasers. I did order a laserlyte target just to play with. Now I'm using a section of my wall paper and I don't always see the light I try to set it up so that the light show right to the top of the front sight set perfectly between the rear sight. Vthen you get the l between the v and Oman the tip of the lis the o. If that makes since I've not got the digital range setup yet plus a tech proplgem with the camera they sent. Give me another week I should have the digital range operational the the expansion hits all the stages from the EOT books and WR that I can find and except for the moving targets will be built. And from now on I'm photographing the stages I shoot total background then from each shooting position. I still need to figure the transition time from shooting position to shooting position but that doable with the software I have moving is something else. I might even have WR stages digitized before the match and shoot them digitally in my rig. Will not be the same but great practice.

I don't know why Kay selected one over the other, but I know I'm leaking toward the LASR software (Kay's) over the DARTT (AimTech) just due to the price difference. The LASR is $120, and the DARTT is $400. I can't think of what could possibly be that differernt between the two, that would justify it costing 3x as much? If you have more info on this Blackey, I'd be interested in a side-by-side comparison.

Following what some of the other folks have posted, I'm looking at the following setup:

LASR software: $120

AimTech in-bore laser insert: $120 each (x2 for two pistols)

AimTech SxS shotgun laser insert kit: $179
Surestrike Cartridge laser, 9mm: $105
Surestrike 45LC Cartridge adapter: $20
So it looks like getting up and running for all 4 is about $682. I can add an adapter to make it all work with a .38 setup for another $20 or so.

I believe this is taking what the pards out there recommend as "best in breed" and putting them together in a single system. I'm seriously considering moving forward with these purchases by the weekend, does anyone have any critical input?

I don't know why Kay selected one over the other, but I know I'm leaking toward the LASR software (Kay's) over the DARTT (AimTech) just due to the price difference. The LASR is $120, and the DARTT is $400. I can't think of what could possibly be that differernt between the two, that would justify it costing 3x as much? If you have more info on this Blackey, I'd be interested in a side-by-side comparison.

Following what some of the other folks have posted, I'm looking at the following setup:

LASR software: $120

AimTech in-bore laser insert: $120 each (x2 for two pistols)

AimTech SxS shotgun laser insert kit: $179

Surestrike Cartridge laser, 9mm: $105

Surestrike 45LC Cartridge adapter: $20

So it looks like getting up and running for all 4 is about $682. I can add an adapter to make it all work with a .38 setup for another $20 or so.

I believe this is taking what the pards out there recommend as "best in breed" and putting them together in a single system. I'm seriously considering moving forward with these purchases by the weekend, does anyone have any critical input?

That is my set up less the shot gun. I use 45lc adaptors and my wife 38s. Have fun with it!

CB

Archived