SASS Wire Forum

Laser Training system for Cowboy Action

Key Hay

Thanks CB, I appreciate the input.

So you're using the same in-bore for both revolvers, and it swapps back and forth b/w 45 and 38 well? You haven't had any problems with the cartridge-types in the rifles? Both manufacturers emittors work well with the LASR software?

I'm thinking I agree with you on the shotgun as well. If it saves me almost $200 on the startup cost, it might be a smart idea. At least 'til I have things cruising along with the others.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought separate in bore lasers for my wife to not need to change them back and forth. When you get the laser set in the barrel you adjust them to the correct site and distance you will be using. They adjust easily using tiny allen wrenches which are included but I did not want to keep doing that going back and forth when we practiced together. Had no trouble with the cartridge laser in the rifle. It was spot on. Everything works perfect with the LASR software and I added one of the recommended cameras that was about $30. The system has not had even a single hiccup.

CB

I like the dartt because I can photo actual stages overall and then from each shooting position and recreation the stage for practice. At WR if possible I'll photo the stages after the wbas match then build them in dartt and practice them in my trailer before hand. If not I'll will have last year match built soon plus EOT it will not be photo realistic but the scenarios will be in it. I also hope to use my gopros to photo me shooting from down range and plan to have one on my hat looking at where I'm shooting. I'll plan on using the GoPro video to show me my mistakes and what I do right the laser system is cheaper than live rounds dr plus easier to do daily.

I like the dartt because I can photo actual stages overall and then from each shooting position and recreation the stage for practice. At WR if possible I'll photo the stages after the wbas match then build them in dartt and practice them in my trailer before hand. If not I'll will have last year match built soon plus EOT it will not be photo realistic but the scenarios will be in it. I also hope to use my gopros to photo me shooting from down range and plan to have one on my hat looking at where I'm shooting. I'll plan on using the GoPro video to show me my mistakes and what I do right the laser system is cheaper than live rounds dr plus easier to do daily.

Crikey Blackey, now I see the difference: you're much more dedicated than I am. ;)

Does DARTT allow you to create stages and save them, while LASR doesn't?

• 2 weeks later...

I went with the dartt sw because I like the idea of the targets being in the computer and not on the wall of my rig. I'm still playing with the sw as my laptop keeps crashing so I don't if it is the OS or the app. But getting closer each time I try.

I just got mine - a Christmas 'gift' I requested from my lovely wife after the posts here.

It is setup and I'm starting to try it.

Basic concern - cowboy targets (a la SASS) are figures - Laser Target space is rectangle or oval!

You may 'score' a 'hit' with the system when in fact you have fired over the actual target - that's my primary problem as I get a quick check on the front sight and the rear (unused) sight is low - over the top every time!! (Especially in matches!)

However, it has helped me to maintain sight picture as I move between targets.

(I have a 18" x 48" plywood base with 5 targets - setup in the living room!)

(Yep - every time there are guests, I gotta take my firing range to the bedroom!!)

I hope this is a good investment in at least hitting the intended target - I'll never be fast!!

Well I'm learning to program the editor I think the best way for me will seem odd until you set down and think about it for some time. I'm creating each match as a class or category. The for each stage in the match I have three sub stages under it on for the first firearm used with the target pattern then hit the space bare again up pops the second firearms targets then same with the last hit the space bar after firing. I tried putting all three I. One stage and may try both after getting this to work reliably because I was having crashes every time I tried something the other way.plus I noticed that the next stage popped up when you finished the current one and the background image is for the match level entry my way each stage can look different.

Excellent news Blackey, I'm glad it's working for you.

I just got mine up and running over the weekend too. I have two in-bore lasers for my revolvers, and the LASR software. I also have a cartridge laser for the rifle, but the 45LC converter hasn't shown up yet, so I haven't played with that.

I'd say that the laser setup was pretty simple. Swapped out the wedge with the 45 one, the o-ring with the larger, and got it pretty snug easily enough. Dialing it in was simple too, just a quick 5 minutes trial and error and accuracy was about right. I learned the hard way that black and white targets don't work well, but swapping out with plain cardboard was simple enough. I'm having a couple of problems now that I hope some pards can help with:

The first is that after one day of use one laser seems 1/2 as bright as the other, and doesn't register as well as a result. Has anyone else seen this? Is it just a sign that the battery is about to die?

Secondly, after drawing and holstering 20 or so times, one of the lasers came dislodged from the barrel about 1/4 inch, and had to be re-seated. Is this common, just something to look out for, or do I not have them seated tightly enough?

Lastly, I'm not sure about the sensitivity of them. Sometimes I'll see the laser flash when I'm cocking. Sometimes it seems like the laser doesn't light as brightly on hammer strike. A couple of times I've felt that when I'm really flying the laser doesn't flash as well and doesn't register on the software.

That may sound like a lot, but overall I really like the system!! Now I'm just working my way through the software, trying to decide if/how I can pre-program stages and setups.

When you purchased your Aimtech lasers, did you ask for the single action version, or did you just ask for the standard laser? The single action version eliminates the laser triggering on cock. Aimtech is very good about swapping them out for you.

The lasers have to be REALLY tight in the barrels. If yours are working loose, they aren't tight enough.

I'd suggest you swap batteries between the lasers and see if the problem of one being less bright follows a particular battery pack. If so, new batteries are in order. If not, and the laser isn't triggering bright enough to signal a hit, you'll be sending it back. IIRC, the batteries are good for thousands of activations, but with batteries from China, who really knows how good the quality is?

I painted my targets chocolate brown. They seem to register much better than the bare tan cardboard, white cardboard, or black cardboard I was using earlier. I use my targets at 25 feet away, which is really about the limit of the webcam used by LASR to pick up hits.

I got both as I bought a setup for everything that I shoot that they had.ive kill the batteries in one of the sa in ore lasers waiting ing Amazon to delievered. I had a long skinny laser break I went to pull the protective cap off and it came apart and pulled the wires loose.

Building a lower for the ar setup waiting on the spring and buffer.

The rest I ve still need to dig out the firearms for.

I'm learning to use the software and build the stages and the best way do do that I'm hoping I'll be able to go to WR take the photo and build the stages by the time I leave. Initially I was hoping to have the stage done before the match started but I'm unsure right now. Several thing need to be tweaked

When you purchased your Aimtech lasers, did you ask for the single action version, or did you just ask for the standard laser? The single action version eliminates the laser triggering on cock. Aimtech is very good about swapping them out for you.

The lasers have to be REALLY tight in the barrels. If yours are working loose, they aren't tight enough.

I'd suggest you swap batteries between the lasers and see if the problem of one being less bright follows a particular battery pack. If so, new batteries are in order. If not, and the laser isn't triggering bright enough to signal a hit, you'll be sending it back. IIRC, the batteries are good for thousands of activations, but with batteries from China, who really knows how good the quality is?

I painted my targets chocolate brown. They seem to register much better than the bare tan cardboard, white cardboard, or black cardboard I was using earlier. I use my targets at 25 feet away, which is really about the limit of the webcam used by LASR to pick up hits.

Hmmm, I didn't specify. I guess that means they sent standard??

I figured out the tightness, that was also the cause of the one laser not registering. I hadn't snugged down the aiming allen screws on one of them.

Interesting stuff Blackey, I can't wait to see how your software is different from ours. Any chance you'll put up a video?

So my cartridge laser and converter for the rifle showed up yesterday, and I was playing with it. I have to say, being able to work the rifle and pistols was a big improvement! I had to cock the rifle hammer manually tho, b/c the 45 LC case cartridge converter still had the extractor lip. What have pards done to remove it? I was thinking about putting it in a soft vice, and working it off w/a Dremel. Am I going about it right, or making it too hard?

For the record, I checked my Aimtech lasers, they sent SA version. Tightening them in the barrels did the trick.

Thanks for the tip on the targets, I'll try that. Other than that, does anyone have a good spot for me to find commonly used rotations to practice? Still consider myself the new guy, and would like advice on stages.

So my cartridge laser and converter for the rifle showed up yesterday, and I was playing with it. I have to say, being able to work the rifle and pistols was a big improvement! I had to cock the rifle hammer manually tho, b/c the 45 LC case cartridge converter still had the extractor lip. What have pards done to remove it? I was thinking about putting it in a soft vice, and working it off w/a Dremel. Am I going about it right, or making it too hard?

For the record, I checked my Aimtech lasers, they sent SA version. Tightening them in the barrels did the trick.

Thanks for the tip on the targets, I'll try that. Other than that, does anyone have a good spot for me to find commonly used rotations to practice? Still consider myself the new guy, and would like advice on stages.

Howdy Will,

I used a Dremel and it was very easy. Took less than a minute and it works great!

CB

Ok, the Dremel worked, maybe too well. I smoothed the extractor lip off all the way around, and now the laser doesn't fire. It seems to be seating too deeply, what'd I break? Thoughts??

Ok, the Dremel worked, maybe too well. I smoothed the extractor lip off all the way around, and now the laser doesn't fire. It seems to be seating too deeply, what'd I break? Thoughts??

Howdy Will,

I only used the Dremel on where the extractor grabs the rim. Have you figured anything out to salvage the laser?

CB

What cartridge laser for 38 special rifle do you recommend and what is the ballpark price? I saw one for $99

I am familiar with the Sure Strike. Its what I use in my rifle. The base laser and 38 adapter through the L.A.S.R. website is $145.00. You can purchase them through other locations so it may be available for a little less.

CB

I am familiar with the Sure Strike. Its what I use in my rifle. The base laser and 38 adapter through the L.A.S.R. website is $145.00. You can purchase them through other locations so it may be available for a little less.

CB

I agree with CB on both counts. I'm using Sure Strike and their 45 LC adapter in my rifle. I picked up a 38 adapter as well, for the wife's rifle, but haven't tested it yet.

Howdy Will,

I only used the Dremel on where the extractor grabs the rim. Have you figured anything out to salvage the laser?

CB

I didn't even consider only smoothing off part of the rim, I removed the whole thing. It's working now tho, sometimes the simplest solution is the best: I unscrewed the cartridge a few turns, lengthening the whole thing, and it works again. ;)

Ok, finally picked up the wife's new Vaquero, going to be needing another AimTech...

Sure sound familiar to me.... :lol:

Archived