SASS Wire Forum

Laser Training system for Cowboy Action

Key Hay

I have been getting a lot of questions on this system so here are the links. (NOTE: I'm not selling this, just cool stuff I found)

The SW is here:

http://www.centrolutions.com/products/lasr-laser-activated-shot-reporter.

The Pistol Lasers I'm using are here:

http://www.aimtechsystems.com/in-bore-laser-insert.html

Here's my latest video:

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool video. I may have to look into this...

Is it possible to have your reset target automatically save the stats for the run? Would be handy to be able to check thru a series of runs for changes as you got warmed up or tired.

Yup, not sure where I can set this up, but I'm thinking I'll have to give it a try....

EDIT -

OK, after checking out the links, 360 to get set up is out of my budget at the moment, but still something to think about...

Very nice video. I dry fire every day, and use a shot timer (par) for transition timing. This would be a good investment.

This is an excellent software program for Cowboy Action. I had an accident last year and lost the use of my right arm and hand and I'm still recovering. Of course I'm right handed and never handled my revolvers just left handed so I bought the software after seeing it demonstrated a local gun show. The software made it easy to practice drawing left-handed and aiming shots and to practice several new to me cross draw techniques. The sound effects of a shot being fired and steel hitting was a nice bonus. I also liked the software calling out which targets to shoot as I practiced drawing from each holster for every shot and returning them within a preset time before the next shot was called out. Since I shoot .38's, I purchased the SureStrike Revolver Laser Ammo Pack that comes with 6 laser bullets. While pricey, they let me work on my speed a little and building my cocking thumb muscles. I was surprised how worn out my thumb was first starting and it gave me a higher appreciation of Duelist and Gunfighter guys.

After being out for 7 months our local club, Concho Valley Shooters, was great about letting me return to shooting Josey Wales style with extra revolvers instead of a rifle. I'm currently shooting just using my left hand and don't embarrass myself too bad. I recommend L.A.S.R.: Laser Activated Shot Reporter software and laser bullets as a training aid for anyone.

OK report time. I have shot in 2 matches since I've been using the LASR system. I usually finish in the top 10, occasionally the top 5. Well to date I've had a top shooter at one club and just got second overall a week later and another.

Really excited about this, until I saw system requirements. Not Mac friendly. :(

Same problem. I put it on my wife's Laptop.

I purchased the LaserLyte toys, literally, and have had fun playing with them BUT, like many reviewers, I find their products to be great in concept but really cheaply done for the prices charged. Some ideas on laser revolver cartridges (links) and camera necessities would be appreciated.

KH,

What are tour target dimensions and distance to targets? I imagine smaller and closer if space is somewhat limited.

Pain

KH,

What are tour target dimensions and distance to targets? I imagine smaller and closer if space is somewhat limited.

Pain

My practice targets are made from foam board (the kind kids use for science project displays). I cut them to 5" X 8" and scribble a sharpie to blacken the outside edges. I'm shooting about 3 yards away. That's about equal to 20" X 24" at 10 yards.

• 2 weeks later...

Gettin better!

408secondrun_zps4f740444.jpg

Yer killin me here!

I would love to get myself set up to do that, but just don't have the gold dust.

Congrats on the improvement. Have your match stage times improved along the same lines?

Yer killin me here!

I would love to get myself set up to do that, but just don't have the gold dust.

Congrats on the improvement. Have your match stage times improved along the same lines?

Yep. :(

I'm pretty sure it would help with my Outlawin' too.

So it looks like $360 for the two handguns and targeting software.

Camera for the laptop would be another $30.

So altogether just under $400. Right?

Waimea

:FlagAm:

Yep. :(

I'm pretty sure it would help with my Outlawin' too.

So it looks like $360 for the two handguns and targeting software.

Camera for the laptop would be another $30.

So altogether just under $400. Right?

Waimea

That's about right for the gold dust. It's been the best improvement investment I've ever made!!!

As for how am I doin... Last 3 monthly matches I have been in the top 3!!! Last year I would be in the top 10, occasionally make top 5. Never had a sub 20 stage (unless it was a no rifle or no shotgun etc) I'm routinely getting at least 2 per match. The match I took second in I was the only person with a sub 20 run and I had 2!

Is Outlaw where you shoot from the Hip? I'm getting pretty good at that too by accident. When I start the clock I shoot at the start target. Got to where I didn't have to aim at it anymore. Then for fun I tried shooting that way. WOW I hit um all and pretty quickly too!!!

That's about right for the gold dust. It's been the best improvement investment I've ever made!!!

As for how am I doin... Last 3 monthly matches I have been in the top 3!!! Last year I would be in the top 10, occasionally make top 5. Never had a sub 20 stage (unless it was a no rifle or no shotgun etc) I'm routinely getting at least 2 per match. The match I took second in I was the only person with a sub 20 run and I had 2!

Is Outlaw where you shoot from the Hip? I'm getting pretty good at that too by accident. When I start the clock I shoot at the start target. Got to where I didn't have to aim at it anymore. Then for fun I tried shooting that way. WOW I hit um all and pretty quickly too!!!

That's a pretty good testimonial Key Hay.

The only way I'm in the top 10 is if there's only 10 shooters! :lol:

Gotta do something radical and start practicing.

Waimea

That's a pretty good testimonial Key Hay.

The only way I'm in the top 10 is if there's only 10 shooters! :lol:

Gotta do something radical and start practicing.

Waimea

I would not kid a fellow Hawaiian named Cowboy!

Just be careful. Take breaks between strings. I got to shootin too much back to back strings a couple nights ago. Think I got a pulled muscle in my arm.

Shoot a string then walk around for a minute, then shoot again.

The second link isn't working for me, and looking around on their site wasn't much help either.

Where'd you find the pistol rounds?

I would not kid a fellow Hawaiian named Cowboy!

Just be careful. Take breaks between strings. I got to shootin too much back to back strings a couple nights ago. Think I got a pulled muscle in my arm.

Shoot a string then walk around for a minute, then shoot again.

:lol:

Long story behind the Waimea name. In fact a novel.

Be careful with practicing too much, it could be harmful to your health. B)

Waimea

Never mind, got it figured out now that I'm on a computer vs a "smart" phone.

Looking around on the web, looks like a guy could add a snap-cap style cartridge for a rifle with a portion of the rim cut away so cycling didn't eject the round, and a 12 gauge cap modified the same way to add to this and train with all three guns. I'd expect any barrel mounted device on a rifle/shotgun to illuminate when opening and when closing the action. And there are even "pre-modified" rounds out there for the shotgun to prevent ejection.

Of course... By the time you add all that up, for a guy that has room right out the back door to fire live rounds, it would take an awful long time for the savings to add up.

Savings aside, it sure would be nice to see your results, and you could do something like this indoors when mamma nature don't cooperate/after dark/when Momma don't want you out doin your own thing, etc...

Never mind, got it figured out now that I'm on a computer vs a "smart" phone.

Looking around on the web, looks like a guy could add a snap-cap style cartridge for a rifle with a portion of the rim cut away so cycling didn't eject the round, and a 12 gauge cap modified the same way to add to this and train with all three guns. I'd expect any barrel mounted device on a rifle/shotgun to illuminate when opening and when closing the action. And there are even "pre-modified" rounds out there for the shotgun to prevent ejection.

Of course... By the time you add all that up, for a guy that has room right out the back door to fire live rounds, it would take an awful long time for the savings to add up.

Savings aside, it sure would be nice to see your results, and you could do something like this indoors when mamma nature don't cooperate/after dark/when Momma don't want you out doin your own thing, etc...

I can attest that it's working. I am having sub 20 second runs a lot now. Just today I had 4 of my 6 stages had sub 20 Raw times (had a lot of distractions since we were on a very small Posse and I was Posse Marshall). Last fall I couldn't buy a sub 20! Now I'm seeing runs in the 17 seconds. Sometimes the $$$ payback comes in the smile on your face when you just took a quantum leap in your abilities!! At $400 I'll consider that the best money ever spent.

Check out the pistol runs of the las 2 stages.

Whatever y'all do buy the pistol bore sight that Key Hay recommends. http://www.aimtechsystems.com/in-bore-laser-insert.html

I bought some LaserLyte LT PRO Lasers for my revolver's because they were $75 cheaper; and got what I paid for; JUNK. The good part is that LaserLyte said they would give me a refund.

And don't watch the dot, Let the SW do that for you. Keep and eye on the front blade and the target.

Sorry, Key Hay, I missed your question about Outlaw style shooting.

Yes, it is shooting pistols and SG from the hip.

Rifle is optional.

LOADS OF FUN!

For more info you can go to the Official Outlaw Shooters Website.

I'm pretty excited about this practice system.

Waimea

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody else using this system?

Love to hear some more results.

Waimea

I'm thinkin there are……They just don't want anybody knowin bout it!!!

I'm thinkin there are……They just don't want anybody knowin bout it!!!

:lol: You could be right!

I know I'm going to do it.

Just gotta scrape the funds together!

W

:lol: You could be right!

I know I'm going to do it.

Just gotta scrape the funds together!

W

If ya got another marlin layin around at a really reasonable price..... ;)

If ya got another marlin layin around at a really reasonable price..... ;)

Uh… I'd like a really reasonably priced Marlin too!!!

I've started to use this system, thanks again KH for posting videos etc. No videos yet, but working on a set up and practice course. I've been playing with it for several weeks - mostly using a SIRT pistol, and man it is a good system. Software is easy to use, and easy to set up. So far this system gets a 5 star rating. I'll try to post more updates and maybe a video.

Widder's got me thinking about a 32 H&R.

I just bought a .38 spl from Waimea for my son. He shot it at the Iron Cowboy match this past weekend, of course I shot it a bit last Friday. Makes me want one in 44-40.

Archived