SASS Wire Forum

Winter Range Report

Dubious Don #56333

Outstanding, simply outstanding! The Winter Range Rough Riders, Arizona Rangers and range RO staff, Blackjack Zak, Lobo Joe, TA Chance, Virgil Earp, Deuce Stevens, Palewolf Brunelle, Red River Wrangler and I probably missed some because I'm old and my memory ain't so good (We know that for a fact now, don't we boys!) :unsure::wacko::blink::wub: put on ONE HECK OF A MATCH.

First off, the theme Boomtowns was quite appropriate because every year, the Boomtown of Winter Range rises in the Arizona desert; from SR 74 you can see the big tent go up, then a hotel, and then...the rest, just like a real western town...because it is. Vendors were plentiful and well stocked, way too much to buy and like every year, the preps start months in advance. It took the Rangers and staff a little less than a week to have everything and I mean EVERYTHING up and rocking when the Wild Bunch shooters hit town. Talk about stages....ten of the wow'est stages I ever seen (though I did hear more than one shooter say it was more of a marathon) and then the side matches and of course the main match which is now, as I write this in the DRY comfort of my office with a 'beverage' close at hand whilst the liquid sunshine pelts the ...outdoors, securely in the books.

We lived up to our namesake again this year, Winder-Rainge; the big tent almost blew down during setup week but was corrected without loss to life or limb (though some of us kept one eye on that big center pole swaying 20 degrees off plumb as we worked nearby) a little dust and wind here and the weather was pretty dang good until today but there was lots of warning and it seemed everyone was prepared though the middle wave today had to sit under shelter while the tropical downpour hit. The bottom four stages Ben Avery regraded and there was no muddy swampies there, the grade was leveled and raised almost 18" with a wide boardwalk that extended from stage one to four. A little mud here and there of course but nothing we haven't dealt with before though they have a new lake by Coosie's store. By far much improved and not near as bad as 2006 I think it was....I think my hat's still wet from that one!

Ever-body I saw was still grinning, maybe a little damp but slickers and other rain gear abounded and did I mention there were lots of grins? Lots more spectators and news crews than I ever remember and if memory serves, there were 778-some odd main match shooters. Of course I got to shoot with the BEST ones, Posse 28...you folks just plain ROCKED and THANK YOU for making my 10th a VERY good year!!!

Archived