SASS Wire Forum

More AR inquiry.....because....

I decided to build up my own :)

Looking at lower & upper receivers - going to get these from the same company...

What are your thoughts - am looking at these companies...

http://www.surplusammo.com/saa-sa-15-reticle-logo-ar15-stripped-lower-receiver/

https://www.cmttac.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=91

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/lower-receivers/ar15-stripped-lower-receiver-sts.html

http://www.shop.sundevilsales.com/

and the list goes ...on...and...on....and....on!! :blink:

Point me in the right direction pards :D

GG ~ :FlagAm:

with the bottom darn near dropping out of the AR market, parts are super cheap now...So buy GOOD stuff once, leave these fly by night companies alone... everyone, and i mean everyone is making ar stuff now..stick to well known, quality brands.

look at rock river, colt, lmt,noveske, bravo company and psa for receivers and remember the barrel is everything. white oak makes super uppers....

right now, there has never been a better time to buy a full gun, with rock river and colt both under a grand. Palmetto state armory has daily specials that are pretty daggone good, check out their website. we are at a good time now where ar stuff is cheap so choose wisely. i have built a few rock rivers and owned a couple full guns, that are hard to beat..rock river arms national match A4...mmmmmmmmmm yum

rockriverarms.com

palmettostatearmory.com

bravocompanyusa.com

good luck, build quality

I just used the Aero Precision on my newest 300AAC SBR and really like it. Was not bad priced and the tolerances were tight and consistent. There are numerous companies to choose from but I can assure that you won't be disappointed with the Aero.

I also used a CMMGinc barrel and it's great to.

CMMG and Black Hole make fantastic barrels at 1/3rd the price of Noveske, LMT, and others.

JEL

I just used the Aero Precision on my newest 300AAC SBR and really like it. Was not bad priced and the tolerances were tight and consistent. There are numerous companies to choose from but I can assure that you won't be disappointed with the Aero.

I also used a CMMGinc barrel and it's great to.

CMMG and Black Hole make fantastic barrels at 1/3rd the price of Noveske, LMT, and others.

JEL

Liking the reviews I am hearing (well...reading) about the Aero product :)

They have a receiver called 'The Huckleberry Edition' where the 'fire' marking is replaced with "I'm your huckleberry" :lol:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/

the Surplus Arms And Ammo lower is one of my favorites, about the best out there. But the prices at Palmetto are too good to pass up, they have great lowers and their barrels are made by FN in South Carolina, FN is the current supplier of M16s to the Marines. Don't get the PTAC stuff that's bottom line. PSA runs daily deals and you could build a quality chrome lined AR for under $600 if you watch for the deals. My friend just bought a 16" mid length upper hammer forged chrome lined complete with bolt carrier group and charging handle for $400 and a complete lower for $150, even with shipping and dealer transfer he's under $600, about the price of a S&W sport.

GG,

For general plinking and such, i.e. 55 grain bullets, try to stick with a 1:9 twist. If you want to stabilize a heavier bullet, say 62 grain and up, go with the 1:7. My Colt is a 1:7 and eats up the 62 grainers! The 55 grain rounds shoot good enough but my groups are considerably smaller with the heavier rounds. And I highly recommend a Colt H-bar if you want to do serious target work. Any carbine will do well under 200 yards with the 16" barrel but a Colt with a 20" can do amazing things. YMMV

Ive read some about headspace. is this an issue with building an AR....now I have an opportunity to buy a new Colt 6791 for $950 - OY! what to do what to DO! LOL! :lol:

Buy a complete rifle. This will allow you to get intimately familiar with the platform and eventually modify your gun or build your own as you decide what you want.

Buy a complete rifle. This will allow you to get intimately familiar with the platform and eventually modify your gun or build your own as you decide what you want.

:) Glad to see your post UB. Thinking about y'all....

I want to THANK ALL OF YOU!! Appreciate all your input and time in responding to my flip-e-flop-e AR decision and posts. I just put a nice down payment on this:

http://www.colt.com/ColtLawEnforcement/Products/ColtTacticalCarbine.aspx

:)

GET THAT COLT :excl:

Has a 1/9 bbl.

X2 about UB

LG

:lol: phew...good timing....was writing my post above and then saw yours. Thanks again to you Lumpy for all your input - very valuable to me.

:lol: phew...good timing....was writing my post above and then saw yours. Thanks again to you Lumpy for all your input - very valuable to me.

I just LOVE spending, your money........ :P

Also-order a bucket full of Magpul 30 rnd mags.

LG

Good choice for an entry into the Black Rifle arena. As you get used to the Colt you'll become more familiar with the hundreds of options on the market, who likes or dislikes them, and how they can help or hinder your shooting style. Then you can collect all the pieces at your leisure and put your own custom made, modern cavalry thunderstick together. Welcome to yet another rather obsessive hobby.

I just LOVE spending, your money........ :P

Also-order a bucket full of Magpul 30 rnd mags.

LG

:lol:

GG~

Good choice for an entry into the Black Rifle arena. As you get used to the Colt you'll become more familiar with the hundreds of options on the market, who likes or dislikes them, and how they can help or hinder your shooting style. Then you can collect all the pieces at your leisure and put your own custom made, modern cavalry thunderstick together. Welcome to yet another rather obsessive hobby.

Thank you so much UB - and especially taking the time to post.

Needed a break today so I moved into my comfort zone for a few minutes.

Gunner

now my thoughts are back on track , I just finished up a DEL TON upper and trigger group

into a lower , for one of the guys ,

16 in Dissapator , I think is what it is called , shoots pretty good , not a 20 in HBAR , but not to bad

not much differance in 55 or 62 gn loads as to the group , being shot off hand

CB

as I have been thinking about it , I may have put a CMMG trigger group in that build

Another $150.00 or less on a red dot sight and a dozen Magpuls (another $150.00!) and your good to go! I would also suggest a 10 or 20 round mag or two. Easier to shoot off a bench or carry around on a walk. Oh, and a good sling. And then you need......................... LOL

Another $150.00 or less on a red dot sight and a dozen Magpuls (another $150.00!) and your good to go! I would also suggest a 10 or 20 round mag or two. Easier to shoot off a bench or carry around on a walk. Oh, and a good sling. And then you need......................... LOL

I ordered (2) 30 rounders and (20) rounders :D Magpul PMag Gen 3

GG

If you have a astigmatism, stay away from red dots or reticles. I have one and red dots look like comas. Red reticles are blurry.

That is why I went with this ACOG, green really stands out in desert or the woods.

http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=TA31F-G

Not thrilled with any weapon sight that depends on a battery to function. Think of Murphy.....

LG

If you have a astigmatism, stay away from red dots or reticles. I have one and red dots look like comas. Red reticles are blurry.

That is why I went with this ACOG, green really stands out in desert or the woods.

http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=TA31F-G

Not thrilled with any weapon sight that depends on a battery to function. Think of Murphy.....

LG

Just Iron sights for now. Still can't believe I am doing this. My Mini-14 is perfect for inside 100 yard usage. Yet, an AR platform is a good thing to get intimate with. :D

GG

Just Iron sights for now. Still can't believe I doing this. My Mino-14 is perfect f

Welcome to "long pants"........ :lol:

Sell that mini14 to buy the glass.

Trust me-You'll want/need some 'glass' on that 'stick'.

Did you buy that Colt? Better have :excl::P

LG

Welcome to "long pants"........ :lol:

Sell that mini14 to buy the glass.

Trust me-You'll want/need some 'glass' on that 'stick'.

Did you buy that Colt? Better have :excl::P

LG

Keeping my Mini-14. It's a good reliable piece.

Yes... The Colt 6721 is a done deal. :) I feel good about it.

GG

Keep the Mini. It's a good utility gun. No need to sell guns, just acquire more.

This is a good econmical red/green dot optic.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-riflescope-sfrd.html

Bet when GG sees just how well that AR shoots.

He'll have no need for that mini......... ^_^

LG

I truly love how my Mini feels. I won't sell my little buddy. Besides its good to have two that can tango :D

And it's the first 5.56 my little girl shot.

GG

Keep the Mini. It's a good utility gun. No need to sell guns, just acquire more.

This is a good econmical red/green dot optic.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-riflescope-sfrd.html

Aye sir... That be the plan keepin' my Mini me LOL.

GG

Being new to the AR platform myself, I quickly discovered that an AR has a lot in common with the sail boat and motorhome that I once had. MONEY PIT.

There are a few things I learned very quickly.

1. Just because it says "TACTICAL" does not mean you have to have it.

2. There is a lot of cheap crap out there.

3. A lot of guys out there buy AR's because they think the rifle is as cool as they are.

4. A lot of guys out there buying AR's shouldn't.

5. A bunch of new AR makers show up every day, and will most likely be gone tomorrow.

6. Time spent doing research will pay big dividends in the future.

7. Feel free to add to the list.

I believe that most folks playing our game have a genuine appreciation for their CAS fire arms. And, I imagine that appreciation goes for most all fire arms.

Being new to the AR platform myself, I quickly discovered that an AR has a lot in common with the sail boat and motorhome that I once had. MONEY PIT.

There are a few things I learned very quickly.

1. Just because it says "TACTICAL" does not mean you have to have it.

2. There is a lot of cheap crap out there.

3. A lot of guys out there buy AR's because they think the rifle is as cool as they are.

4. A lot of guys out there buying AR's shouldn't.

5. A bunch of new AR makers show up every day, and will most likely be gone tomorrow.

6. Time spent doing research will pay big dividends in the future.

7. Feel free to add to the list.

I believe that most folks playing our game have a genuine appreciation for their CAS fire arms. And, I imagine that appreciation goes for most all fire arms.

It's a bucket list firearm I've wanted to own for sometime. Opportunity has come up and I'm taking advantage of that opportunity ;)

GG

Archived