SASS Wire Forum

Category Elimination

John Barleycorn, SASS #76982

A new category.....shooting by sundial, might work for me!!!! But what do we do on cloudy days??? :D

It seems to me that any age category, ie duelist, GF, etc., would have to follow the same rules as the non-age ones, the only difference being the age requirement. I am looking forward to the RO refresher course we are taking next month that will helpfully help clear up the questions I have sometimes.

Remember, this is for fun, so have fun the way you want, either with shooting, the costumes, the people, and leave others to have fun the way THEY find it.

This idea could lead to a whole set of new categories digital stop watch, dial stop watch, watch, sundial, and calendar.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

here I go

foot in mouth

my sass number is 8595

sass numbers are now 100001+

I still see about the same amount of shooters at the shoots attend, and often times the same shooters from back in 97

whats my point? actual shooting numbers are far different than member ship numbers

did adding more categories increase total memberships, (perhaps)

was big fast and close the answer for the only way to increase shooting numbers (perhaps)

but where are a lot of them now

actual dues paying shooting members does not seem to change much

yes, I will agree, that we need new shooters each and every day

bring a friend to the range every chance ya get

offer what categories ya want to as a club or shoot

different areas of the world have different needs

One of the problems is that some folks come and try it for a couple months even years

and then drift away as they see more club politics, wire antics, learn more about the rules,

and see that they will never place because we have no pro/am type separation.

Some of the shooters in this sport would/should be considered to be "professional".

I also suspect that a careful analysis of the age of some of the shooters

would indicate that younger types join for a while and then drop off/out as they go to college.

Lighten up.....

It was said(did you not see the emoticons)'tongue-in-cheek', as I shoot SD.

We have way to many categories now, and that can be a turn off to folks look'n to play the game with us.

LG

:P:P Back at ya pard!!! :lol:

You don't have to shoot age based, when is someone 70 prevented from shooting Duelist?

No aged based categories for me, I shoot FCD and when available Pale Rider……..I'm still 39 in my own mind! :P

Wow pards sometimes I can't figure out what all the fuss is about when you say there is too many category's.

Take a close look for example Winter Range 2014:

25 Frontier Cart, 25 Front Cart Duel, 22 Frontiersman. 40 of B-Western Men/Ladies, The largest category's are in senior's and up: 56 senior, 15 Ladies Senior, 59 Silver Sen, 23 Ladies SS, 50 Elder Statesman, 33 Cattle Baron. And to add a little more look at Forty Niner 39 Men, 35 Ladies Forty Niner.

I really think every one should look at this and say hey we got lots of folks coming up the ladder let them have fun with the bang & clang and say Yeeeh, Haaaa I got a buckle and come back the next year for more. That's what it's all about folks. I shoot Cattle Baron myself and have family coming up the ladder.

So do we need more categories?? Why not it's no big deal you got your category let someone else play in theirs and have fun doing so. Young, Old in between or what ever................

I would like to see the age based categories allow multiple shooting styles like B Western, two handed and one handed if the shooter wants to do it. In the end it would likely produce more duelist and gunfighter shooters as shooters would feel comfortable trying it for a stage or two. It would also allow the age based shooters to shoot gunfighter on those stages that would be faster that way.

I would like to see the age based categories allow multiple shooting styles like B Western, two handed and one handed if the shooter wants to do it. In the end it would likely produce more duelist and gunfighter shooters as shooters would feel comfortable trying it for a stage or two. It would also allow the age based shooters to shoot gunfighter on those stages that would be faster that way.

I agree.

After reading all these proposals, I HAVE A HEADACHE!!!!

This all started because no one wanted to recognize any additional categories for black powder shooters. It is a simple argument, if we vote against any new categories based on shooting styles, perhaps it is time to say no to those based on age and costume? I am thinking that there are plenty of shooters who fall into the 'No more new categories' voters while shooting in categories that I might think never should have seen the light of day. All I am saying is that we either accept others desire to have a valid category for their guns and style of shooting or figure that they will try to legitimise themselves by fighting to take away your non-shooting based category.

Take a look at Jackrabbit Joes numbers posted above. If those kind of numbers are relevant across SASS, then there is no way that black powder shooters are receiving support from all of those who are already shooting in those questionable categories.. Help bp shooters and they will stay quietly in our own little world and and not rattle your chain (they have always been somewhat clannish anyway). By the way, I think to many bp shooters are already trying to do the same thing SASS has done. If one category MUST represent all BP Gunfighters then it should be BP Gunfighter and not FC Gunfighter! (BUT I like the idea of having both)

This all started because no one wanted to recognize any additional categories for black powder shooters. It is a simple argument, if we vote against any new categories based on shooting styles, perhaps it is time to say no to those based on age and costume? I am thinking that there are plenty of shooters who fall into the 'No more new categories' voters while shooting in categories that I might think never should have seen the light of day. All I am saying is that we either accept others desire to have a valid category for their guns and style of shooting or figure that they will try to legitimise themselves by fighting to take away your non-shooting based category.

Take a look at Jackrabbit Joes numbers posted above. If those kind of numbers are relevant across SASS, then there is no way that black powder shooters are receiving support from all of those who are already shooting in those questionable categories.. Help bp shooters and they will stay quietly in our own little world and and not rattle your chain (they have always been somewhat clannish anyway). By the way, I think to many bp shooters are already trying to do the same thing SASS has done. If one category MUST represent all BP Gunfighters then it should be BP Gunfighter and not FC Gunfighter! (BUT I like the idea of having both)

Another way to look at it, is that BP shooters make up a small percentage of the total number of shooters and already have enough categories for their percentage.

Since we are talking about 'ways to look at it' lets go to a nuclear option and close down all categories. Since shooters are saying we have to many categories period, we can be fair and give the multitude a clean slate from which to start. Sounds fair to me, do not let the WIRE opinions become the tail that wags the dog listen to the masses!

Another way to look at it, is that BP shooters make up a small percentage of the total number of shooters and already have enough categories for their percentage.

That is why some have professed interest in Prof. Fuller Bullspits' Matrix. It divides up the shooters up by percentages across the board.

http://bullspit.us/?p=32

Personally, I am not convinced that it is the answer, but it does have its merits and starts the conversation.

I thought it interesting to see actual percentages using WR as our model:

Category Number Percentage

Lady FCD 3 0.40%

Classic Cowgirl 3 0.40%

Buckarette 4 0.53%

Junior Boy 4 0.53%

Junior Girl 4 0.53%

Buckaroo 7 0.92%

Lady FC 8 1.05%

Grand Dame 11 1.45%

Lady Duelist 13 1.71%

Lady B-Western 15 1.98%

Lady GF 15 1.98%

Cowgirl 15 1.98%

Lady Senior 16 2.11%

Senior GF 16 2.11%

Lady Wrangler 19 2.50%

GF 21 2.77%

Frontiersman 23 3.03%

L SS 25 3.29%

FC 25 3.29%

FCD 26 3.43%

B-Western 26 3.43%

Cowboy 28 3.69%

Duelist 32 4.22%

Senior Duelist 32 4.22%

Classic Cowboy 33 4.35%

Wrangler 36 4.74%

Cattle Baron 37 4.87%

L 49r 40 5.27%

49r 43 5.67%

ES 55 7.25%

Senior 59 7.77%

SS 65 8.56%

Total 759

Sorry about the formatting. Forum, eh....

32 categories were represented at WR. Looks like 759 people were scored.

If you were to say that you want each category to have an even number of people, that would be 23.7 people per category.

Looking at the chart, 17 categories had fewer than 23.7 people per category. 15 categories had more.

Black powder categories were represented above, below, and on the bubble:

Lady FCD 3 people

Lady FC 8 people

Frontiersman 23 people

FC 25 People

FCD 26 People

Black powder shooters accounted for 11.1989% of the shooters and 15.625% of the categories.

% of winter range might bee a good base line for what? winter range

each and every club region covering mother earth,,,,,,,,,,, will have different set of %'s...... due to their local area specifics

is it an area of blue hairs

it is an area of college students

etc

More statistics:

(assuming that all women shot in ladies identified categories)

608 shooters were Men, or 80.01054%

151 shooters were female, or 19.8946%

Of the 17 categories who had less than 23.7 shooters:

12 were ladies only categories

2 were Male GF categories

2 were Junior or buckaroo

and 1 was frontiersman

For females, blackpowder shooters were 7.2848% of the total participants and 15.3946% of the categories.

For males, the blackpoder shooters were 12.1711 % of the total participants and 15.7895 % of the categories.

Women were 19.8946% of the of the total participants and were 43.74% of the categories.

% of winter range might bee a good base line for what? winter range

each and every club region covering mother earth,,,,,,,,,,, will have different set of %'s...... due to their local area specifics

is it an area of blue hairs

it is an area of college students

etc

Does your club base its categories based on percentages of folks who actually show up or based on the SASS defined ones in the handbook plus adding some of your own local ones?

What are the SASS ones defined by or a model towards?

One would think the TGs and all geared it towards the bigger matches like EOT and WR...

It also just happens that WR was this past weekend, so the data is pretty current

If everyone has not gotten confused yet... Percentages does not really enter into it.

Big takeaway from this...

There were twice as many women shooters as there were BP shooters at WR. However, those ladies had three times the category choices than BP shooters had.

Average of 10.79 women per women's category

Average of 14.4 participants per BP category

Only average non-women's BP categories, you get 24.67 participants per category

And that is higherthan the average of 17.33 gunfighters per gunfighter category

My wife wants me to point out that I am not proposing taking away ladies categories because they are over represented based on percentages.

But if you were looking to eliminate categories based only on statistics, aren't we all missing the point?

Does your club base its categories based on percentages of folks who actually show up or based on the SASS defined ones in the handbook plus adding some of your own local ones?

What are the SASS ones defined by or a model towards?

One would think the TGs and all geared it towards the bigger matches like EOT and WR...

It also just happens that WR was this past weekend, so the data is pretty current

current data is great

not sure it does anything

use the data to eliminate categories lets say

any category that is 15% or less or pick a number

that wont work either, as you would eliminate the young kids, juniors and even cowboy category in a lot of places

I live crunching numbers, I was a construction project manager for a few years, crunched numbers every day, budget numbers, schedual numbers and so on

just don't know what to do with these WR CAS numbers is all

Archived