SASS Wire Forum

Category Elimination

John Barleycorn, SASS #76982

The FCGF post has me thinking, (dangerous, I know)

What categories should be eliminated? Don't be afraid to speak up.

I would not mind if costuming shooting categories went. SASS matches are shooting competitions based on how fast and accurately we can shoot a sequence of targets, not what kind of outfit we wear while doing it.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, leave Classic Cowboy/girl alone, as it is the only category that puts big-bore guns into the middle of the competition. You may think it's costuming that makes that category. It's actually the shooting challenge that makes that category.

Good luck, GJ

All the age based categories between Junior and Senior. There is absolutely no need for them.

Fillmore

look at JB stirring the pot!!! hahaha..

Just figured there was 2 feet of snow on the driveway, and he didn't want to go out and shovel it.

:ph34r::D

GJ

It may make sense to drop Duelist and replace it with Elder Statesman Duelist. We are about running out of Duelists under 60.

This is a little tongue in cheek, but the Duelist crew(Duelist, Senior Duelist) is graying at a rate much higher than the overall SASS population.

I am thinking about 35 is the best we can do JB! Giving you some competition in GF on Saturday.. getting hooked on that!

Well, leave Classic Cowboy/girl alone, as it is the only category that puts big-bore guns into the middle of the competition. You may think it's costuming that makes that category. It's actually the shooting challenge that makes that category.

Good luck, GJ

I agree what with having to shoot duelist and a mule eared or 87 shotgun.

B-Western also should be left alone what with the rifle restrictions and the shooters allowance to master and shoot 3 different handgun styles, it is more than JUST a costume category.

Fillmore

We need MORE costume categories!

Saloon girl for example, with cleavage and short skirt requirements!

:D

:lol:

Waimea (thinking: No comment needed)

:FlagAm:

The Senior categories were split into 5 year increments the same year FCGF almost made it, but by the time it came up the TGs and others were at the point of holler "No More Categories" after this :angry: Prof. Fuller Bullspits' Matrix is the way to go. Main categories by shooting style and propellant, along with the Jr., costumes etc. = 20 baseline categories to be subdidvided depending on the match and number of shooters. Good job Prof. Good Luck :)

"Categories should be determined by things like shooting style, powder, gun restrictions etc. once the categories are set it is possible to provide an age based division that is flexible depending on match size and such.

I refer you to the sample system near the bottom of this page."

http://bullspit.us/?p=32

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

Any category that can't get 10 shooters in it at the World or National championships.

+1

If you got 700 shooter like WR. And you have a category that can not even pull in 10 from 700??? might look at dropping that one.

Costuming is great, you just don't need shooting categories for it.

On the same day that we shoot SASS at our club there is a three gun match on the other side of the action range. No costuming required.

Classic Cowboy is closer to what SASS was when I started shooting. Big bore guns all around. If I were to recommend anything be eliminated it would be mouse fart loads and any caliber less than .40.

Just have modern and traditional; M & F. Watch the attendance climb through the ceiling (not!). Nothing like having the 20 year olds in the same bracket as the 60+. This is one reason WB is not expanding. Too limited with its categories. Anyhow, I've not seen any trophies at monthly matches, so expanding or shrinking categories does not matter to me at all. Just will not bother sticking around for the match results.

Look at it this way...

Category 1: People who shoot their pistols 1 handed.

Category 2: People who shoot their pistols 2 handed.

Category 3: People who shoot thier pistols 1 in each hand, both drawn at the same time.

Separate these Male/Female, there are now 6.

Separate these smokeless/black powder, there are now 12.

Everything should be able to fit into one of those 12 categories. But, that doesn't include various costume categories, which are a lot of fun for the people that use them. That doesn't include age based categories, which are important to some folks who shoot in them.

In truth, I think maybe there are too many age based categories.

Now, some categories require a specific type of rifle or shotgun. Well, those are simply some specific costume requirements, so we don't need to worry about that.

Then there's the issue of adjustable sights on revolvers. Make 'em legal in every category, and you don't need specific ones to allow them.

What's the solution?

Heck if I know. The current category system is overly complicated, but eliminating or modifiying any of the existing ones can be legitmately argued against.

On the same day that we shoot SASS at our club there is a three gun match on the other side of the action range. No costuming required.

Classic Cowboy is closer to what SASS was when I started shooting. Big bore guns all around. If I were to recommend anything be eliminated it would be mouse fart loads and any caliber less than .40.

Lets just stick to the topic of eliminating categories. I have not or will not suggest that we should not dress cowboy, ya just don't need categories for pards that wear chaps, a vest, and a scarf, ect.

PS dont cha know you can't win shooting full house loads. Light loads win the day this is a speed contest, it matters not how hard you hit the steel.

I agree to disagree

costuming is an important part of keeping the "cowboy" in CAS

B western added a whole to flare to the costuming

Classic cowboy added pretty much what working cowboys would have been seen it

if it were just about shootin, then why not ware Lexan biking gear or

all shooting logo sponsor clothes, shorts, Scooby doo running shoes,

etc (you get the point)

I’ve been doing this (CAS) since 1994 and I’m getting reeeal close to eliminating all of them. Waaay too many categories.

Our club hosts a monthly speed steel match. You are categorized by the type of weapon you shoot (eight if I count right). There are some very broad age based categories and the male/female category but the final tally that shows up on the internet lists fastest shooter to the slowest. It is simple, everyone understands it and there is no discussion about categories.

Of course this event is not exactly a democracy. The Match Director makes the rules. If you want to play the game you play by his rules. Again, simple.

I agree to disagree

costuming is an important part of keeping the "cowboy" in CAS

B western added a whole to flare to the costuming

Classic cowboy added pretty much what working cowboys would have been seen it

if it were just about shootin, then why not ware Lexan biking gear or

all shooting logo sponsor clothes, shorts, Scooby doo running shoes,

etc (you get the point)

Well the no sponsor thing has kinda gone to the way side with the Cimarron Young Guns Program. Participants must shoot their guns and agree to be photographed using and endorsing them. There is NO FREE LUNCH.

I shot Traditional...until it went away. Since then I have been shooting Wrangler at all matches. I stepped down to Cowboy at the Regionals just to shoot against the fast boys.....yeah, they kicked my butt.

It doesnt matter much to me......just sign me up in a class and let me shoot......just as long as Im not trying to shoot one of those "tomato stake" shotguns (97) Or trying to shoot gunfighter, other than that, Im good....lets shoot

I would suggest we add a nekkid lady category but somehow I don't think it would make the minimum number of applicants.

Then again, if we never offer it......................................?

Guest Hoss Carpenter, SASS Life 7843
Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, February 26, 2014 - insult
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, February 26, 2014 - insult

JB; it is folks like you that make my blood boil. If you do not really like the costumes, stay home Or go shoot IPSC or IDPA, NSSA Skeet or ATA Trap or any other shooting game that has no costumes. But

then maybe you are just foolin'? If so, Bad on me. If not, good riddance.

Hoss C.

Who says I don't like costumes? For the record I LOVE THEM. I have spent mucho dinero on my outfits. I just don't think we need SHOOTING CATEGORIES based on what you wear or don't wear in your cowboy get-up. This thread (pardon the pun) is about what categories folks think could be put out to pasture. Its just opinion, and to get folks thinking.

I enjoy all the shooting sports but on Saturdays April thru October you'll find me at a local club in my cowboy get-up making lots of smoke and flame, and hanging with my pards.

If I have boiled blood please accept my apologies, JB

I don't see why Cowboy can't run to 40 or 41, and Wrangler up to 58 or so. Push Senior down a bit and you've cut 49r. No bias by the way, I'm fifty and shoot 49r the majority of the time. I have no problem with competing against people in their early forties.

I like the costume, propellent, equipment, and shooting style categories though. I wouldn't want to see any them go.

Archived