SASS Wire Forum

More From Detroit

Subdeacon Joe

As Detroit’s Police Chief Preaches Guns, Citizens Fight Back Against Violent Crime

Detroit, Michigan – -(Ammoland.com)- Shortly after being installed this past July, as the seventh (7th) person in the last eleven (11) years to assume the reins over the Detroit Police Department (DPD), Chief James Craig has wasted little time in sharing his controversial views about law-abiding citizens legally carrying concealed pistols.

In short, he has stunned the local and national media outlets with his surprisingly pro-gun stance and it appears – at this juncture – that local Detroit residents are taking heed of his words. Daring to defend themselves against violent predators.

Detroit Police Department Chief Craig’s Unconventional Stance on Guns

On December 19th of last year, Craig appeared on a local broadcast – the Paul W. Smith Show – and made the following statement;

“There’s a number of [Concealed Pistol License (CPL)] holders running around the city of Detroit. I think it acts as a deterrent. Good Americans with CPLs translates into crime reduction. I learned that real quick in the state of Maine.”

Then a couple of weeks later at a
, Craig was quoted as saying, “If more citizens were armed, criminals would think twice about attacking them.”

I remember an earlier thread on this, and expressed my though that he would likely be fired shortly. He's still there, and this might be why:

One explanation for Craig’s ability to speak out is that he does not directly report to a big city mayor, which are usually anti-gun. Detroit is currently in the midst of a bankruptcy reorganization which has Craig reporting to a state of Michigan’s appointed Emergency Financial Manager.

Archived