SASS Wire Forum

Camp Van Dorn

Hoss

Any of you military types eve hear of Camp Van Dorn in Mississippi? It was a WWII training depot, and supposedly there was an uprising by a black regiment,(race relations in Mississippi at the time were rather strained) and a bunch were gunned down. I once lived near there, and heard rumors. Some banker even wrote a book about it.

its intersting reading. something happened, but who knows! Most of the folks who were there are very old now, A guy I used to go to church with in Centreville got very upset when somebody mentioned it. He said there was no use to even talk about it. His reaction gave me the impression that somethig bad happened there.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/WPcap/1999-12/23/019r-122399-idx.html

Seems like a lot of speculation, not many hard facts. That something happened isn't in doubt. But exactly what happened is lost in the fog of time.

Yep, if someone had asked me that question 2 1/2 years ago I could have asked my grandfather.

I live in McComb, MS and I have known Carroll Case personally for years. Indeed, he is a talented and varied artisan and story writer. I wrote several songs for one of his plays in the 1980's. I was aware of his investigation and knew a bit about the story of an alleged massacre from my grandmother. Thing is, "alleged" seems to be the key word here. Carroll was just the latest in a long line of interested individuals who have dedicated much time and money in search of such a happening on a U.S. Military facility that has been floating around in this area all my life. Speculation as to what may have happened is still occasionally bandied about, but for over seventy years, no concrete evidence has come to light from any of the tens of thousands of military personnel stationed there during the time of the occurrence. Even the U.S. Dept. of Justice and the NAACP have found no substantiated evidence and you know they've looked. It's no wonder people in Centerville, Woodville, Gloster and Liberty are tired of hearing about it and get upset when the rumor is repeated after so many years. I don't know what did or did not happen, but as far as proof of a massacre, there appears to be no viable proof available, then or today. Just saying.

Archived