SASS Wire Forum

Froglube for Shotgun Chambers?

Abe E.S. Corpus SASS #87667

A local store had sample packs of Froglube so I was reading up a little. My wife does not like the smell of Hoppes #9 (I told her it's one of those "acquired tastes") but likes the minty smell of Froglube. Plant based and non-toxic, etc.

The directions for the CLP product recommend that you clean the gun of petroleum based residue, then heat it up a little (hair dryer or heat gun) and apply the CLP and let it sit for a little while. Sort of like seasoning a cast iron skillet. Supposedly this will keep carbon fouling and other gunk from sticking to the gun-just wipe it clean.

If this works at all as directed, it would seem to be a great treatment for a cowboy side-by-side to keep the chambers nice and slick for easy shucking. I am a fairly recent "convert" to doubles, having shot a '97 in cowboy up to a few months ago.

I ran a search on the forum and saw that a couple of folks use and recommend it. I did not see any mention of this specific application. Any double shooters tried this ?

http://froglube.com/froglube-product-info/froglube-directions/

Never tried Frog Lube. Always had good success with Eezox and before that Ballistol. Check out the test on you-tube; I don't know of anything that compares to Eezox. Works for me as I only shoot Goex BP.

Froglube is $275/gallon:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005SVIUCG?psc=1

Ballistol is $107.95/gallon:

http://www.amazon.com/Ballistol-All-purpose-Liquid-Lubricant-Gallon/dp/B001O2ZCL0/ref=pd_sbs_sg_35

You can find better prices elsewhere, but this illustrates the price difference from the same vendor. I like Froglube and it most definitely smells better, but I have not noticed any real difference in performance. Is it worth the price difference? Only you can decide.

Froglube sure gets great endorsements.

Years ago I shot muzzle loader a good bit and started using TC Bore Butter. Seemed to work well. So when I started shooting black powder in shotgun I would clean like I did muzzle loader, scalding hot water, brush, paper towel patch, and then bore butter. I take the used patch with Bore Butter on it and wipe down outside metal parts.

The remarks about Bore Butter are strikingly simular to Froglube. I'm not saying Bore Butter is as good or better than Froglube because I have no base to compare. But if it works the same or better than Bore Butter, then it's well worth looking into.

Never tried Frog Lube. Always had good success with Eezox and before that Ballistol. Check out the test on you-tube; I don't know of anything that compares to Eezox. Works for me as I only shoot Goex BP.

This x 100!

I have used Frog-----I'm stay'n with Eezox.

LG

Might want to try polishing the chamber with JB bore polish. Take an appropriate size strip of cheese cloth, wrap it around a 5/16 or 3/8 wood dowel and chuck it up in a hand drill. Apply the bore polish and spin it up in the chamber for a minute or so. Makes it real shiny and smooth. Do the bore also. Reduces fouling build up and the cases fall right out with a little push. Of course the chamber should be modified in the first place. So far haven't used any kind of lube on the chambers and no problems getting the cases out.

I hear ya, Larsen. It's taking a paradigm shift for me to retire the Hoppe's in favor of something "eco friendly".

On the other hand, Froglube sells a "cowboy frog" sticker: http://froglube.com/froglube-store/froglube-stickers/froglube-sticker-cowboy-frog-4-round/

I had my SKB worked over by Three Cut so the chambers have been honed. I'm just trying to figure out whether "seasoning" the chambers with Froglube will help keep them slick between cleanings. I guess this is a good place to admit that I am not exactly fastidious about cleaning my guns.

Might want to try polishing the chamber with JB bore polish. Take an appropriate size strip of cheese cloth, wrap it around a 5/16 or 3/8 wood dowel and chuck it up in a hand drill. Apply the bore polish and spin it up in the chamber for a minute or so. Makes it real shiny and smooth. Do the bore also. Reduces fouling build up and the cases fall right out with a little push. Of course the chamber should be modified in the first place. So far haven't used any kind of lube on the chambers and no problems getting the cases out.

Archived