SASS Wire Forum

Walking pain

Dorado

Well, I walked for the first time in SIX Months today. Man that was painful. I'm gonna have to learn to walk again. I'm thinking of ditching the crutches and getting me a cane. Any suggestions?

I broke my ankle back in August and I'm just now getting where I can start therapy and begin getting back on my feet. Atrophy is a killer, I have one regular leg and one skinny baby leg. I lost all my strength in my right leg, but I'll be getting me a gym membership and I'll be up and walking in no time I hope. I have a feeling therapy is going to be painful. Lol, I'm not looking forward to it.

But I WALKED today, I'm stoked and had to tell somebody. lol Gotta get back shooting and working again.

prayers up for a full and fast healing.

Thanks. I'm almost there. I've still got a wound from the initial break that's been slow to heal, but it's almost there. I think in a month or two I can be up and walking unassisted. I'm just sick of not being able to work. Been going crazy not having anything to do. I've loaded all of my cases, fully disassembled and cleaned all of my guns, and done everything I can think to do without being able to walk.

Remember back to the days when you were chasing the pretty girls......

OR

Remember back to the days when the pretty girl's husband was chasing you......

That should give you incentive!

Do exactly what your physical terrorists tell ya to do. Make sure to do all the exercises at home that they tell ya to do. Yes, it's going to be painful. Yes, you're gonna hate doing the home exercises. I could never deal with crutches, so I use a walker - one of those 4-wheel jobs with the seat built in and painted an electric metalflake blue. Walkers and crutches both are a pain, but you may not be ready for a cane yet. I've been using my walker three weeks now and I'll need it at least another two weeks before I even think about going back to my cane.

I sure hope your recovery is speedy and complete, Dorado. PM me if you have any questions or just want to talk.

Congratulations - I know exactly how you feel, and welcome back to mobility!

I had a bad accident years ago and spent four months on my back in skeletal traction for my right leg and could not bend it over 15 degrees when I first got on it again, and both legs were very weak.

Atrophy is the problem, pyhsical therapy and your own resolve and commitment are the answers. Don't push too far or too hard, but you can recover it all (plus)!!

Good luck with the rehab!

Just this past week my wife's back surgeon said he doesn't suggest canes anymore because too many people lean on them rather than use it only for an aid to balance. When they put weight on the cane (on whatever hand they have it in) they lean that way and the spine bends that way also and that affects your gait (how you walk) and that causes more problems. He recommends a "walking stick" because it is longer and you can walk more upright, which is better for you legs, lower back and spine. He says all seniors should use a "walking stick" whenever outside walking and especially if doing any trail-walking or hiking.

Pretty good thought I, er thought.

Pain

My favorite walking stick is a shovel handle with a crutch tip on the end.

Recon I'm gonna need it, I'm having knee replacement soon. :(

Went through 2 knee replacements (diff knees) and let me tell you... I could walk up to the horse barn without cussing!!!

DO THE EXCERCISES!!!!!!!!! My right knee was done frirst and I faithfully did the 3 months of excercise morning and night.

(a glass of wine or a beer helps you get through it) but my left knee we took our horses up to the mtns. in NM and I started skipping the excercises... now my left knee doesnt have the range of motion my right knee does... Good thing I can get on and off my horse from either side!!! Unless Im standing on a log ( I WILL NOT use a stool) I can not get on the near side of my horse...have to use the off side. What ever works..but..... DO THE EXCERCISES!!!

Tascosa (who wishes he could do the left knee excercises again)

Just this past week my wife's back surgeon said he doesn't suggest canes anymore because too many people lean on them rather than use it only for an aid to balance. When they put weight on the cane (on whatever hand they have it in) they lean that way and the spine bends that way also and that affects your gait (how you walk) and that causes more problems. He recommends a "walking stick" because it is longer and you can walk more upright, which is better for you legs, lower back and spine. He says all seniors should use a "walking stick" whenever outside walking and especially if doing any trail-walking or hiking.

Pain

I totally agree. I have had to use a cane for a couple of years but switched to a walking stick awhile back. As you stated it gives good support and you are standing up straight. I have mine cut to stand about chest height and find it comfortable for walking and standing. If I have to stand for any length of time I prop on it with my forearms, That keeps equal pressure on my hips and legs. I will warn that once you get one you will want more. I currently have three custom made and I'm working on my first one out of a good oak limb. :)

Thanks for all of the support. It means a lot to me. I feel like I can always count on y'all to make me feel better and help me along.

I'm young (28) and healthy so I should recover quickly. I went by Planet Fitness today to see about a membership, I'd be more inclined to work out if I have some pretty things to watch. lol. But I'll start there and rebuild some muscle and hopefully lose some weight too. I'll have to start on the cycling machines to build strength back before I can move on to the actual leg machines but luckily they have plenty of them.

Pain

I looked at some canes today and I think I came to the same conclusion. I need a relief of pressure from my right foot as I still have a rather persistent wound that's giving me fits. Structurally I'm ready for therapy and walking, all my doctors have said that much, I just have this dang wound holding me up. I don't think canes would do the trick. I'm going to ask next time I go in to see the doctor.

Dorado - I've also got a persistent wound problem and I hope the docs have finally come up with the answer. I had spots along the incision that had not quite healed, but we're down to the size of pencil erasers. The problem was, the were somewhat larger inside and were healing from the outside in. You don't want them to close on the outside and leave a wound pocket on the inside - very bad juju. The docs have installed a wound vac on mine which promotes serious healing from the inside out - no wound pockets.

Good Luck, Pard!

Hi Dorado,

I'm sorry to hear what you have been through. I've been through therapy three times (hand, shoulder, and knee). Those folks know exactly what exercises to do. Mine even gave me print outs so I could follow instructions between appointments. I remember the broken shoulder/arm best. I went from not being able to raise my arm more than a few inches to being able to raise it a couple of feet in a week's time.

Please see a trained, licensed, physical therapist before using machines or following advice at a fitness club.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Allie Mo

I'm not doing anything until I talk to my doctors. They've been great so far and have done wonders for me. Because of them I get to keep my foot. I broke my ankle so bad the ER docs could only amputate my foot. They said I'm healing better and have more movement than what they expected, except for that persistent wound. But that's almost healed. They have me on a medication and have done some things that make it heal from the inside out. It started out at 1 1/2" wide and 1/4" deep, but it's down to 3/4" and almost flat 1/16 - 1/32" deep. I haven't had a wound vac since my last surgery. I don't think I'll be needing another one unless I really mess up.

I go to see the doctors Wed. so I'll see what they say then.

Archived