SASS Wire Forum

Salsa Recipe

Coffee Pot SASS#55659

hmmmmm sounds gooooooooooood, put put over ground seasoned venison, add pineapple and top with easy over eggs!! oh wait, tha's wut I just had........yummy

Hopefully Chili Pepper Kid will see this after he gets off work today, he make a great salsa, he brings it every shoot and we all snack on it afterwards. He has won ribbons at the Iowa State fair with his recipe, not sure he will tell you or not, just have to wait and see, but it is good.

All for now JD Trampas

Hopefully Chili Pepper Kid will see this after he gets off work today, he make a great salsa, he brings it every shoot and we all snack on it afterwards. He has won ribbons at the Iowa State fair with his recipe, not sure he will tell you or not, just have to wait and see, but it is good.

All for now JD Trampas

+!0000 :D :D :D

The local favorite is tomatoes, chopped green chiles, fresh garlic, chopped scallions, and cilantro in proportions that please you with dash of lemon juice. I find commercial offerings add too much salt and too little cilantro. These are eaten with blue corn tortilla chips.

The one I use is roma tomatoes, yellow chilis, sweet onion, garlic, cilantro, salt and lemon juice. Start with the blender 1/3 full of chilli, 1/3 onion, 1/3 tomatoes, 5-6 gloves of garlic and a handful of cilantro. grind to desired chunkiness, salt to taste, and a squeeze of lemon. You can adjust heat by then grinding more chilis or more tomatoes,

It's best if you can make it at least several hours ahead so all the flavors can get acquainted.

All for now JD Trampas

He has a salsa called the "Cat Killer" that is out of this world.

It appears that my wife's little garden is going to yield a bumper crop of tomatoes, both beefsteak and cherry. It appears salsa time is coming soon. Do any of you have recipes you are willing to share?

Thanks,

My recipe is for canning Salsa is that what ya want?

20 cups chopped tomatoes (blanched and skin removed)

8 cups chopped onions

7 sweet banana peppers (remove seeds and chopped)

2 green bell peppers (remove seeds and chopped)

1 red bell pepper (remove seeds and chopped)

10 Jalapeños chopped (I leave the seeds if they look good)

4 to 10 Habaneros peppers chopped (I leave the seeds if they look good)

5 cloves minced garlic

1 cup of sugar

2.5 tablespoons Chili powder

5 tablespoons canning salt

2 tablespoons paprika

2.5 cups white vinegar

fresh cilantro to taste

Put it all in a big pot and let it cook down for several hours. If I get tired of waiting I add some cornstarch.

Canning: Put Salsa in canning jars leaving 1/2” head space. Process for 45minutes in a water bath canner. A batch usually makes 10 to 12 pints

When I started entering this at the Iowa State Fair I had to have my recipe approved by the Polk County Iowa Extension office. Polk County is at a altitude of 950ft.

My mild batch has just the jalapeños. Then I start adding the habaneros to make each batch a little hotter. My last batch of the year is the hottest!!

Hawkeyes Two Salsa Dip

History- sitting in a bar pre wedding , bartender served this with multiple drinks and I was so delighted with the flavor I asked him if he would call the country club chef out of his kitchen so I could thank him for the delicious treat. Out comes the chef and somehow-not really clear now as to how this miracle occurred- he shared this recipe with me and it has been given to dear friends over the years mostly in the South as a special present. You are in luck as Dufflield is my honey and I will share with you.

5 pounds of diced tomatoes

1 1/4 pounds of diced onions

10 oz of diced jalopeno peppers

1 oz of chili powder ( I make my own)

1 oz of Praise Allah seasoning

1 1/2 oz of white vinegar

6 oz can of tomato juice

1 large bottle of ketchup

1/2 oz of garlic powder

Juice of 1 lemon

Mix all ingredients well in a large non reactive container. Allow to rest a few hours before serving. Depending on who is going to be eating this you add the

secret ingredient of your best tequila- at least 3 teaspoons or your choice. Over the years I have added adobo to kick it up a notch as well as added cilantro when

the mood strikes. Having lived in New Mexico I usually double the chili powder. You can add anything you prefer and thisdip will get raves as it is so seductive.

Ps....I remember very little about the wedding I attended, had loads of fun and so glad that chef wrote his recipe down on a napkin.

Mrs. Duffield

Jeanie had been hitting the tequila pretty hard at that wedding.

Also, she has been known to add up to a half a bottle of tequila to her salsa. That really makes for a good party.

Duffield

20 cups chopped tomatoes (blanched and skin removed)

8 cups chopped onions

7 sweet banana peppers (remove seeds and chopped)

2 green bell peppers (remove seeds and chopped)

1 red bell pepper (remove seeds and chopped)

10 Jalapeños chopped (I leave the seeds if they look good)

4 to 10 Habaneros peppers chopped (I leave the seeds if they look good)

5 cloves minced garlic

1 cup of sugar

2.5 tablespoons Chili powder

5 tablespoons canning salt

2 tablespoons paprika

2.5 cups white vinegar

fresh cilantro to taste

Put it all in a big pot and let it cook down for several hours. If I get tired of waiting I add some cornstarch.

Canning: Put Salsa in canning jars leaving 1/2” head space. Process for 45minutes in a water bath canner. A batch usually makes 10 to 12 pints

When I started entering this at the Iowa State Fair I had to have my recipe approved by the Polk County Iowa Extension office. Polk County is at a altitude of 950ft.

My mild batch has just the jalapeños. Then I start adding the habaneros to make each batch a little hotter. My last batch of the year is the hottest!!

Kid:

How do you blanch tomatos?

How do you tell if a pepper seed "looks good"?

Appreciate the help!

LL

Kid:

How do you blanch tomatos?

Boil tomatoes in water for one minute then run under cold water. I have a big enamelware steamer pot with drainer insert that I use. Then I can remove the skins & core and any bad spots easy. I mainly use Roma tomatoes because they are meatier.

How do you tell if a pepper seed "looks good"?

If the seeds have turned black I don't use them. The habanero seeds almost always turn black so I use very few of those.

Appreciate the help!

LL

It appears that my wife's little garden is going to yield a bumper crop of tomatoes, both beefsteak and cherry. It appears salsa time is coming soon. Do any of you have recipes you are willing to share?

Thanks,

Salsa is great here in the southland,

but gimme a thick slice of beefsteak tomato and cheddar cheese on fresh sourdough bread with a little southwest mayo! mmmm

• 3 weeks later...

Just now finished canning our first batch following Chili Pepper Kid's recipe. We used only four Habaneros and found it gave a little bite but was not so hot as to be painful. It is tasty and I can see how he won the State Fair with this recipe. We (wife and I) appreciate him sharing with us.

Looking forward to chips, this Salsa and adult beverages this evening.

Lesson learned - wear Nitrile gloves when working with the peppers -especially the Habaneros.

Coffee Pot

Archived