SASS Wire Forum

Anyone Shooting a Sheriff's Model?

Two-Bit Charlie

I'm thinking about changing one of my main match pistols (5 1/2" SAA) to a sheriff's model (3 1/2") in a cross draw holster. Has anyone had experience with this combination? How does the short barrel handle, point, how's the accuracy (with our extreme distances). I'm doing this for style points, but still want to shoot well. Any help will be appreciated!

Two-Bit Charlie

Hi Two-Bit:

I have several 3 1/2" cap n ball guns.

They shoot like a dream -- like pointing yer finger at the targets.

I lost the front sight once in the middle of a shoot.

Didn't matter, since the end of the barrel is just ahead of yer trigger finger.

Like a natural extension of yer arm.

I can hit the rifle targets all day with them, so accuracy is fine.

--Dawg

My Gary Reeder .357 Doc Holliday edition has become my favorite main match pistol. Points perfectly and balances just right. 3"bbl. on old model Vaquero frame.

My main match pistols are Ruger Sheriff models in .45

I also have a set of customed Ruger sheriff models in .357 with Octagon barrels set up by Slick McClade.

I prefer the shorties.

..........Widder

I would see if you can shoot someone's that has some. Despite the short distances we shoot at, the short sighting radius does make a difference. When I switch from 5 1/2s to 3 inchers, my misses go up. If someone you know or a club member has some, try them before spending the money and finding you don't like them.

I have two of the things. Both are Colts, both have 3" barrels. Both are .44 caliber with dual Special and WCF cylinders. One is blued/CCH and the other is nickel.

Sometimes I shoot the pair, but more often, I match the nickel one with a 12" Colt Buntline .44 Special.

That's about as extreme a difference in barrel/site radius as there is. It doesn't seem to bother me. I shoot about the same with both of them. But then again, I shoot "double duelist" style, so that may help.

So... If yer really interested in "style points" get yerself a Buntline to go with the Sherrif's. That's always a lot of fun. Add a short barrel Win 92 with John Wayne loop and the singel shot shotgun of your choice and you'll complete the sytle. "Sheriff Buntline to the Rescue!"

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m625/HKUriah/Shooting/SheriffBuntline.jpg

Hi Two-Bit:

I have several 3 1/2" cap n ball guns.

They shoot like a dream -- like pointing yer finger at the targets.

I lost the front sight once in the middle of a shoot.

Didn't matter, since the end of the barrel is just ahead of yer trigger finger.

Like a natural extension of yer arm.

I can hit the rifle targets all day with them, so accuracy is fine.

--Dawg

Yea but that's because yer a "daisy"! :P

Them little snubbies of Dawg's are cool as all get out!

Rye ^_^

I have a 3.5 in. Thunderer that I use for my shoots and I don't have any problems with accuracy, at least as far as the pistol. I use it on my strong side and use my 5.5 in. Vaquero or my 7.5 in. Remington n a crossdraw.

I use Schofields with 3 1/2 in barrels in 44 Russian as my main match guns with no notable difference in accuracy from the 5" in 45LC I used before switching.

As others have said, how they point and feel to you is key. You've got to handle them befor you can make a decision.

Dutch

I would see if you can shoot someone's that has some. Despite the short distances we shoot at, the short sighting radius does make a difference. When I switch from 5 1/2s to 3 inchers, my misses go up. If someone you know or a club member has some, try them before spending the money and finding you don't like them.

What Larsen said. I had a pair of OMV's in .45 and could not get my misses down. I shoot Bisleys now and have clean matches regularly. I went back to the sheriff's a couple of times and the misses went up. YMMV however and you might want to try some before you buy.

Colt made 200 "Sherrif Sets" back in the 1980's. It had 5 revolvers: all Colt Royal Blue, all Ejectorless, all BP frame.

The barrel lengths were: 5.5", 4", 3", 2.5", and 2". The set came with a glass display case. (The 5.5" is an odd bird too see, with no ejector)

I found a guy had decided to shoot his set then break up and sell the set. I picked up the 2". It needed an action job, but it shoots as good as any 4.75" SAA. As far as I can research, this is the only time Colt offered a production 2" barrel in the SAA. (2.5" and 3" models were offered as far back as the 1890's). The little 2" barrel even has the Colt roll mark on it.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b231/gsonnenmd/NCOWS/stagecoachloot.jpg

Colt made 200 "Sherrif Sets" back in the 1980's. It had 5 revolvers: all Colt Royal Blue, all Ejectorless, all BP frame.

The barrel lengths were: 5.5", 4", 3", 2.5", and 2". The set came with a glass display case. (The 5.5" is an odd bird too see, with no ejector)

I found a guy had decided to shoot his set then break up and sell the set. I picked up the 2". It needed an action job, but it shoots as good as any 4.75" SAA. As far as I can research, this is the only time Colt offered a production 2" barrel in the SAA. (2.5" and 3" models were offered as far back as the 1890's). The little 2" barrel even has the Colt roll mark on it.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b231/gsonnenmd/NCOWS/stagecoachloot.jpg

I saw one of those sets for sale a few years ago at a place in Texas. I could have sworn that it also had a 7.5" one in the set. They wanted 10000 for it, is less than 2000 per gun. I was SORELY tempted to but it. But I passed. 10 G's all at once was just too much.

Another nice thing about the Sherrif's model; even one made last Tuesday is C&R...

I shoot two SS Ruger Sheriff model 44 specials . ( 3.1/2 )

Fun too shoot .

At the short distances we shoot at .

I see NO problems for you to change to Sheriff Models .

God bless.

I have a 45lc Sheriff Birds Head Bisley I shoot now and again. Wish I had another.

I love the whole concept of a Sheriffs Bisley. Would like to have one some day.

I had found this picture out on the web once, and just like to glance at it from time to time for inspiration.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s35/AbominableBill/Rugers_zps42556a4f.jpg

Here are my two Ruger Bisleys in .45, and a single six.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/90north/bisleys005.jpg

OH YEA...., I really like those.

..........Widder

Archived