SASS Wire Forum

Reclaimed shot issue...

Dutch Wheeler

To curb my cabin fever yesterday, I decided to load some shotshells with reclaimed shot that I got last fall using my Lee Load All II. After about 50 rounds, the charge bar became harder and harder to move. I stopped, emptied the hoppers and remove the charge bar. What I discovered was that the reclaimed shot that I was using was full of grit, which was small enough to pass between the charge bar and the body of the loader. Needless to say, it chewed the hell out of my charge bar!

I ended up rinsing with water and running the remaining shot through a strainer, and ended up with about 1/4 cup worth of fine grit, sand, and other tiny crap, some that was attracted to a magnet.

I have read that a lot of other pards on the wire use reclaimed shot for this game, what has your experience been? More importantly, do you do anything to the reclaimed shot before loading in your hopper? If so, what?

Our club has the fall fields professionally mined every few years, and sells our cut of the shot to members, BUT, the miners wash the shot in a water bath tumbler similar to a large cement mixer, heat dry it, and then tumble it again in another mixer with graphite before weighing it out in 25# bags. No dirt here. Yours came from an amateur reclaimer.

I put my reclaimed shot in a bucket and spray it with WD40 before it goes in the hopper. Makes a huge difference. I use a Possness Warren and reclaimed my own shot. Built my own sifters and had problems with white rust and dirt. (grit) Just about wore out my gears in my press, That's when I started lubing my shot and now no problems at all.

Yep, reclaimed shot varies greatly in quality depending upon who did the mining. Always need to check it for contamination - spread some on white butcher paper and roll the shot out of the way, see what remains. Some will even have fine sand in it - really bad news for the loader and the shotgun bore.

The best reclaimed is even very clean, then re-graphited so it will flow through the hopper, bar and shot bushing well.

Good luck, GJ

Ours is professionally mined, cleaned, and re-graphited (if that's a word), but I run through it with a heavy duty magnet like used for carrying sheetmetal around to get the steel shot out of it before I load it. Really don't want that steel coming back off the poppers at us...

Not sure why anyone is firing steel at clay pigeons, but have gotten sometimes as many as 60-70 pellets out of a bag.

About all I use is reclaimed shot. Been lucky in that when we get it, it has been cleaned and 90% of the time had graphite added. If I'm not sure about the graphite I use a empty 1lb powder bottle and fill it to about 2/3 full. Then add some powdered graphite and roll the bottle around the floor to mix it in. So far so good.

The reclaimed shot that I had, came from a reputable on-line supplier to our sport, described as "washed, polished, graphited", and had 20 good reviews. Perhaps they got it from another source as it had too much crap in to have been "washed". :(

I never had a problem with grit in reclaimed shot.

Each year there seems to be more and more steel shot mixed in.

I always process my reclaimed shot through a funnel with a very strong magnet taped on the inside. I slowly pour the shot up against the magnet and re-bag the shot before it goes on the shelf to use.

I have gotten as much as a half teaspoon of steel shot from a bag.

I have been using reclaimed shot for a couple of years & have not had any problems at all in my Load All IIs. Sounds like you got a bad batch.

The shot I have bought comes in 2 liter coke bottles, so you can see what you are getting pretty easily.

Holler

Sidebar question: Is the reclaimed shot at Ben Avery cleaned and graphited? I'm planning to buy a dozen bags if it is available and would like some feedback from those who use it.

Could I ask what you guys pay for reclaimed shot maybe 7 or 7 1/2 per 25 lbs,?

Sidebar question: Is the reclaimed shot at Ben Avery cleaned and graphited? I'm planning to buy a dozen bags if it is available and would like some feedback from those who use it.

The last time I checked (December) they had none and weren't expecting the " Shot Guy" this winter at all.

Archived