SASS Wire Forum

Weigand Extractor Adjusting Tool 1911 ?

Tater Head

I've used the bend and try method of tuning 1911 extractors with sucess but thought one of these tools might be the way to go. Anybody here have any experience with this tool?

Thanks,

Tater

I use one. Works fine, not very complicated. You will need a good trigger weight gauge to go with the tension bars, which work hand-in-hand with the vise. I use my Lyman electronic gauge because it records. Can usually get a good setting on the first pass, something I don't have luck with when bending free hand.

Good luck, GJ

I use one. Works fine, not very complicated. You will need a good trigger weight gauge to go with the tension bars, which work hand-in-hand with the vise. I use my Lyman electronic gauge because it records. Can usually get a good setting on the first pass, something I don't have luck with when bending free hand.

Good luck, GJ

Thanks for your reply GJ,

think I'll make the purchase. The bend and try took eight attempts.

Tater

Never saw the need for it.

LG

Your lucky Lump,

when your extractor mis-behaves your 1911 won't run. I've been lucky for 40 years with several 1911's. Luck ran out on my favorite one.

Hope you never have a problem with yours.

Tater

Your lucky Lump,

when your extractor mis-behaves your 1911 won't run. I've been lucky for 40 years with several 1911's. Luck ran out on my favorite one.

Hope you never have a problem with yours.

Tater

Been building 1911s for almost 40 years. When I was an apprentice, under one the best ever 1911 smiths. I was taught how to set extractor preload and to adjust the bottom radius of the extractor hook for case release.

LG

Been building 1911s for almost 40 years. When I was an apprentice, under one the best ever 1911 smiths. I was taught how to set extractor preload and to adjust the bottom radius of the extractor hook for case release.

LG

I wish I had your knowledge. If I did I wouldn't need the tool.

Tater

I bought one, the first time I used it the plastic tensioner wheel broke and sliced the bejeebers out of the palm of my hand. Brownells sent me a replacement immediately. Second one worked fine, but I don't use it much anymore, just went back to my old methods. In answer to your question, it works fine. Just follow the instructions. I am just a little gun shy now, even though it was a total fluke, it doesn't require much pressure to use correctly at all.

I bought one, the first time I used it the plastic tensioner wheel broke and sliced the bejeebers out of the palm of my hand. Brownells sent me a replacement immediately. Second one worked fine, but I don't use it much anymore, just went back to my old methods. In answer to your question, it works fine. Just follow the instructions. I am just a little gun shy now, even though it was a total fluke, it doesn't require much pressure to use correctly at all.

Thanks for the replyTwitchy,

I think I'll buy one and another extractor and use it for a back up. I really like tools and gadgets. I'll also try and be careful with it.

Thanks Again,

Tater

Archived