SASS Wire Forum

Just out of curiousity, how many SASS members play guitar?

Ketchum Quick, SASS #72923

I always wanted to play guitar but kept putting it off. My son plays pretty well and has accumulated a number of guitars, mostly by clever trading (that was his Martin that FJT played at last years Guns of August). He's become quite accomplished at working on guitars and buys or trades for guitars that have issues that he can fix.

About two years ago the local music store offered a twelve week adult beginners group class, so at 64 I took the plunge. I was hoping I'd prove to be a savant and just play great from the git-go but it didn't happen. When I told my son I was going to start playing he laughed and said "I can't wait until you find out how difficult this is!" Some encouragement.

I've progressed very slowly and mostly play rather simple songs with a few basic cords. Finding time to practice has been hard. Despite my extremely limited progress and skill level it's very relaxing to play with no one around and my Martin D35 has a beautiful sound that rewards even limited skills.

I have found that guitars are like guns and are easy to accumulate. When I decided I "needed" an electric I couldn't decide between a candy apple red American strat or a Les Paul fireburst studio so I bought both. Later, Doc Eels gave me a '91 Gibson SG he had laying around. I avoid guitar stores so nothing else follows me home, at least until I play better. However, I would like to pick up another, cheaper, acoustic that I can travel with someday.

Check out the "baby" Martin. It's a 3/4 sized guitar but well made. Martin came up with it for traveling musicians who didn't want to cart their big full sized acoustics. It plays really nice. ;) Rye

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LXME

I was the Mfg Eng for moving a Mfg operation from Chicago to Oregon. Spent 3 1/2 months of 2007 living in hotels (Week or two at a time). Went to Guitar Center and bought a Traveler Escape and a Roland Cube. I'd sit down in the foyer of the hotel playing evenings. The managers always liked the weeks I was there. When I'd fly back to Oregon I'd leave the stuff with the hotel. It kept me sane!!!

I play an electronic upright bass guitar here in Kona Hawaii. One band I play with will be performing at the upcoming Waikoloa Ukulele Festival.

I started with piano in grade school, my grandmother (sunday school teacher) gave piano lessons to pay the bills

I changed to git-tar, mid-school

I do not do much of either anymore

but god bless her soul by granddaughter "sid-shooter" now has my grandmother piano and writes her own stuff

I handed down my old Epson arch top blonde acoustic git-tar to her as well

good luck strumming away, it is a great way to do something most folks do not

:D;):D

A 1967 Gibson LGO flat top that my then wife bought me for Christmas in 1967. She is long gone but I still pick up the Gibson and pick at it about once a week. That Gibson is the fondest memory I have of her.

Mom & Dad got me a brand new Sears Harmony hollow bodied "f" holed electric 6 string my senior year of high school.. :)

The receipts still in the case.. I'm thinkin' it was $59.00.. they had to make 2 payments on it ta pay fer it..

I played it fer about 12 years without an amp..

Finally got one.. and it has a real mellow sound to it..

Still got it.. :)

Dad knew about 4-5 chords he taught me.. He always just used a thumb pick..

I know.. maybe 8 now.. :mellow:

I taught myself how ta pick it rather than just strummin' it..

I've since bought an Epiphone 6 string and an Epiphone 12 string..

Dang.. those 12 strings are hard on the fingers when they ain't callused :(

Rance ;)

Thinkin' I bet Widders 12 string electric sounds purty :)

My dad taught me the basics when I was eight, and I haven't improved much since I was 16. When I play, which isn't very much anymore, I play an Aria 9400, a Japanese copy of a Martin D-28. I bought it new 40 years ago.

I've had two grandkids ask me to teach them to play. I told them both no, and told them and their parents that they needed to take lessons from a pro and learn to read music. One of them blew it off. The other did it, and at 16, he's getting pretty darn good. :)

A Martin D-35, and a Guild D-25 since the early 70's. A newer Guild A-25, a Guild classical and an Ovation Tornado. I've been known to sing a few around

campfires and parking lots.......sometimes with "Duke" on harmonica.

Agile Les Paul copy, Lone Star Strat, Mex Strat, Telecaster copy, Ibanez bass, Washburn elect. acoustic. Not an accomplished guitarist by any means. My dad and brother got the 'natural' talent. I have to work at it. But I have fun.

Latest toy has been a ball to play with. Three string cigar box guitar. Having a blast with it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171193173174?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I play a very low-level, garage-grade, bass-strum-strum country/bluegrass/folk guitar. As a guitarist, I have to stick with my strengths which are fundamentally writing and editing (in other words, I like to play, but I'm not very good at it).

I own something like this:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Square-Shoulder/Gibson-Acoustic/Songwriter-Custom-EC.aspx

but mine is about 20 years old and the Gibson catalog no longer lists it. I also own a similar Fender.

I play a very low-level, garage-grade, bass-strum-strum country/bluegrass/folk guitar. As a guitarist, I have to stick with my strengths which are fundamentally writing and editing (in other words, I like to play, but I'm not very good at it).

I own something like this:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Square-Shoulder/Gibson-Acoustic/Songwriter-Custom-EC.aspx

but mine is about 20 years old and the Gibson catalog no longer lists it. I also own a similar Fender.

Box-stock guitars, no short strokes, right? ;)

I don't claim to play the guitar or to have ever played the guitar, but I have played with them on and off for a long time. Started goofing around with my first Sears Hollow body about 1960, but never got much beyond a few cords and a loud amp. Since that early High School group of Noise makers I use to play with, I've just messed around banging out the same old stuff for my own amusement ... never did get good enough to play for others.. just didn't want to punish them. I do wish I had kept my old 1962 Fender Stratocaster and my old Fender Tube amps... but like so many things, I just virtually gave them away.... same with my Gibson Les Paul. Spent a period of time rebuilding old tube amps, and still have a good stock of original tubes and stuff in case I run across some old amp that strikes my fancy, and is priced right. If you can't fix them yourself, they aren't worth much because it can be very expensive to have them rebuilt. I'm down to just four amps (nothing special) and 5 guitars. I haven't messed with them much for a few years now but used to enjoy sitting in front of the Marshall and letting it blow my hair around. I now just have a cheap Strat, a cheap Tele, a nice Takamanie acoustic Electric, my Alvarez gut string............ and of course my 1942 Martin D-18, which is in excellent condition and sounds just wonderful. It was my Grandfathers guitar which I outright stole from my dad... he ask for it back, but I refuse to return it to him! I don't think that he was really upset. ;) This guitar is of course my pride and joy. It was played on stage in a concert by Tex Ritter a long time ago. He borrowed it from Grandpa when his got broken. My son wants it..... too bad! He'll just have to wait. I might just pick them up again and start trying to learn how to play.

Snakebite

We have a local cowboy, Six String Jimmy, that plays a pretty mean guitar - played professionally at one time. He played with Marshal Tucker Band a couple of weeks ago when they were in town for a performance.

Lots of folks do! I feel like a red headed step child though as no one mentioned Taylor instruments or I didn't see it. Bought a left hand Ya-MaMa-Ha FG335 long ago and finallly upgraded about 8 yrs ago with a 1991 vintage LH Taylor 810. Ole ART RITIS has pretty much put an end to all that pickin....still grinnin some though.

I played a little in high school. Had a Silvertone solid body and at one time could play all the way through Satisfaction and House of the Rising Sun. I was surrounded by guys that could play the frets off of a guitar, but I could sing. Three or four of my band mates went on to play for folks like Charlie Daniels, J.J. Cale and the Allman Brothers, not to mention many country acts. Singers are a dime a dozen. A dozen GOOD ones will set you back half a dollar! :lol:

Great guitarists are a little more rare. I'm happy to say I know a few, and i let those who do it well do their thing. Makes it much easier for me. ;)

Gotta get you one of these. You can lay down minutes of loops and layer over!!!

http://www.tcelectronic.com/ditto-looper/

I will have to check into that thanks.......I have heard of looper's being from TX I know Billy Gibbons is a master with one. Just never have checked into them....maybe it's time.

I will have to check into that thanks.......I have heard of looper's being from TX I know Billy Gibbons is a master with one. Just never have checked into them....maybe it's time.

Once you get one you will wonder how you ever practiced without one!!

See you at Manse's Revenge! I'm makin the trip from Oregon again this year..

I play a little bit.

My main electric rig is a Renson-built 1991 Fender Tele, with Duncan and Lollar p'ups, the switchplate reversed, and a five-way selector installed. That goes through a hard-wired pedalboard, into a Twister F-4 amp. (Best amp I've ever heard; think hot-rod Bluesbreaker, on steroids.)

My acoustic guitar for local gigs is my endorsement-model Taylor 912c. If I'm on the road, I KNOW it's gonna get smashed or stolen, so I keep a couple of OM Martins handy.

Cheers,

FJT

I play a little bit.

Cheers,

FJT

One of FJT's better attributes is humbleness and modesty..... ;)

He can play better than 2 Bunnies in a swimming pool at Hef's mansion............well, almost... :lol:

..........Widder

OK, here is as I say "the first and last time" I sing in a band! This was a throw together band from work so the company Picnic would have a live band. Had lots of folks wanting to play guitar so I picked up the bass. We had fun!

Started playing back in the 60's when the Kingston Trio was an inspiration. Later into Peter, Paul, and Mary stuff which lead to rock and roll and the British Invasion. Beatles, Paul Revere and the Raiders, Rolling Stones, etc. Had a local band from about '64 to '66 graduated, got married, went to work, had kids, and my musical carrier went to hell in a hand basket. Still pick up the old guitar once in a while but have forgotten more than I used to know. Have fun picken through a few country songs, now and then. The only way to get better is to play with good musicians and that just isn't happening anymore.

Archived