SASS Wire Forum

Just out of curiousity, how many SASS members play guitar?

Ketchum Quick, SASS #72923

Tessa Two Gunner bought me a guitar for Christmas this year (I have been hinting that I wanted one for the last ten years or so) and I have started to play a little. I am not worth a hOOt yet but I am working on it.

A couple years back, we were at Gun of August and we were able to hear Frederick Jackson Turner play in the shoot house one night and our friend and Captain of the Wolverine Rangers, R.J. Law was playing in the camping area at that same match. These guys inspired me to want to play also.

I was just wondering who else plays guitar? I have a Washburn guitar. I can't see myself wanting an electric I like the sound of a good old acoustic.

So ..... what are you playing and how long have you been at it.

Ketchum

OT I heard today that Col. Dan and Dang It Dan can "thrash" on drums. From an undisclosed source at Ft. White monthly match.

Started playing a Baritone Uke in 63 and then moved to guitar. I currently have an Epiphone archtop Joe Pass and a Martin Sigma acustic. Played a little with RJ at the Indiana State which kinda got me re-motivated, but it's going to be awhile before the fingers are built up for chords.

KK

Guitar playing is what I do these days. I have three world class custom guitars, two steel string and one classical, made by the Pimentel family in Albuquerque and a 49-year old Martin 000-28 Also have a long-neck, open back Ode 5-string banjo and a couple autoharps. Some get played almost daily, others not nearly as often. -- GIT

Guest Hoss Carpenter, SASS Life 7843

I have played a Classical, gut string Guitar since Ole Miss in the very early 60s; mostly folk stuff and now, just for "myself".

Cheers, Hoss C.

I own an Epiphone Les Paul and a Fender bass. I started taking lessons some years back, but I'm not very good at all. It may have a bit to do with all of those years I spent punching things in Kenpo before I decided to try guitar, but I can't say for sure.

Played in my own classic rock band (Diamondback) for 18 yrs, lead guitar and backup vocals. Played an 85/86 Fender American Strat, Floyd Rose series as main ax, as well as several other Fenders and Gibson Les Pauls, Flying Vs, Explorers, SGs. You name it I've probably owned one or more at some time....

Played these thru Van Halen 5150 tube amps as well as Marshall 800 series amps.. Played all over the area as far away as 150 mile radius played the tri county Harley abate parties for several yrs in front of as many as 2500 people...

Bought and sold high end tube amps and guitars for several yrs and still have quite a collection of Gibsons and Fenders..

Great time of my life, retired now, but may play again some day if the gig was right and the members where in my age bracket.

Spades H. :ph34r: SD&RR :lol::lol::lol:;)

I started playing guitar and bass in bands in high school , haven't plays much since my kids were born . My last guitar is in my daughters room she now plays it

Widder.....

guitars and 97's.....

What else could a guy need? I know, I know, but that's a whole nother subject....

I got several of each, 5 guitars.....Gibson Les Paul custom from the Pro Shop, early 80's American Fender strat tobacco sunburst w/Floyd Rose, Jackson Randy Rhoads "V", Takamine acoustic/electric and a Peavey Wolfgang.....

I'm down to 19 97's.....

Red Knee

Started playing guitar in high school with the folk club so I could meet the ladies. On R&R in Sydney Australia I bought a Yamaha guitar and took it back to Vietnam. Sold it to my replacement. Bought a Fender Strat in '69 and played in a bunch of rock bands. Owned a whole lot of nice guitars over the years. Met my wife to be while playing in a country band. My wife is still with me but the arthritis has had me give up on the guitars. Was looking at a banjo the other day and the owner of the shop said I should give clawhammer style a try. A banjo may be in my future. Castalia

I still play, but now in church. I was in several bands in the 60's/ 70's. I played on a Gibson Melody Maker, Ibanez L4 look a like, Wilson Bro. Ventures model.

Still have my Earth twin 15's and 220RMS tube amp and a Crate 120 Watt.

We recorded a couple of songs but never got off to a good start. Still like to play every chance I get.

I know a handful of chords and can church-lick the fool out of the keys of C, D, E and G. I also know 10 words to a bunch of songs. If you're easily entertained, I can entertain you for a few minutes. :) While my dad could play the strings off of anything that had strings, I didn't get the gene. :)

I do own some nice guitars with my favorite being my first purchase, a 1982 Alvarez 5051 60th Anniversary. When I decided to learn, I took a friend who played guitar shopping and picked it out from everything else based upon it's sound. Before the internet came along, I had only seen two; the first played by Paul McCartney in the 1986 Prince's Trust Concert and later I saw Carl Perkins' rhythm guitarist played one. I would later find that both men received them as a gift from, guess who, Carl Perkins. That's Mr. I Wrote Blue Suede Shoes for anybody who doesn't know.

Here's a guitar like mine.

And here's Paul playing one...a left handed one of course that also has an pickup built in.

Back in the 70s I was a teenager and was gonna be a star...

I bought an old guitar at a yard sale for maybe ten bucks and would strum away on it until my sister would scream. One day I got mad and told her I'd just throw it in the trash, which I did, intending to get it out before trash day, I forgot.

Later, I rode the bus down town with my paper route and birthday money and bought a Yamaha FG-75 guitar, case, a John Denver music book and a Gordon Lightfoot music book.

I learned a few chords and a buddy and I would play guitars and try to sing, neither of us was much good, but he was better than I was.

I still have the Yamaha, or at least my son does now, along with a couple of electrics that he dabbles with now and then.

I've often thought of trying to learn again, but with aging fat sausage fingers and short attention span I think that ship has long since sailed.

Howdy

I had been playing trumpet in school for a few years when my sister suggested to my parents that they buy me a guitar. That was back around 1965 or so. Played guitar for quite a few years up through the 1980s, mostly a Martin 12 string. Then I branched out into clawhammer banjo. Tried fiddle but never got the hang of the bow. Tried the mandolin, tuned and played exactly the same as a fiddle, but with frets and a flatpick. The mandolin is the best kept secret in the string world, easiest of all the string instruments to play once you get used to how thin the fretboard is.Played Mando and banjo in string bands for years. Don't touch the guitar much these days, mostly fool around on a button accordion. So I am legally allowed to tell banjo and accordion jokes.

A coupe songs on the mandolin and guitar. More of a piano guy. Taught myself how to play

Played since I was a kid in 8th grade. Never set foot onto a stage till a pastor convinced me. Still consider myself a hack player cause I never figured out what those black dots on the 5 lines meant. I do like playing with a looper though.

Thanks for the replies.I hope to learn to play well. We have watched Michigan Rattler's band at a blues concert series and that was pretty inspirational.

I would like to play some classic country ie., Marty Robbins and Johnny Cash.

KQ

Been playing guitar since I was a kid (now too old to tell my age) and continue to love playing :wub: . Have more different brands than I care to list; like my guns..don't want the wife to know all :ph34r:. In fact I was just playing my Charvel flat top this very morning before getting ready for church, where I play :). Taught my son how to play when he was 15 and it didn't take long for him to run circles around me. Now he plays and travels professionally out of Nashville and does pretty well for himself, but don't get to see him much :( . GUNS, GUITARS, & GOD (not in that specific order) are what my life revolve around :D

Badfinger Bodene (One of the porch sittin and guitar playing Bodene brothers)

RED KNEE: :lol: ..... I'm alittle faster with the guitar but because I learn to play by ear and have subsequently went deaf the past few years, my guitar playing has basically ceased.

Key Hey,

is it just the picture or the guitar leaning against the wall really have a bowed neck? Any more bow in it and all you'll need is a couple arrows to shoot.

..........Widder

I have a "baby" Martin that I love and also a Hohner full size acoustic. Not a great guitar but it sounds pretty decent. I played drums professionally for 30 years, still play some now, but I've been messin' around with the guitar since I was about 16. I also play a little piano. ( I tune and repair pianos for a living)

Guitar is a great instrument, it's mobile, so you can play it wherever like on the beach or around the campfire or on yore easy chair while watching TV. I love playing the old cowboy songs too!! ;)

Rye

Played since I was a kid in 8th grade. Never set foot onto a stage till a pastor convinced me. Still consider myself a hack player cause I never figured out what those black dots on the 5 lines meant. I do like playing with a looper though.

Nice, if you learn to read music you'll be only that much better!

Good job, Rye ;)

RED KNEE: :lol: ..... I'm alittle faster with the guitar but because I learn to play by ear and have subsequently went deaf the past few years, my guitar playing has basically ceased.

Key Hey,

is it just the picture or the guitar leaning against the wall really have a bowed neck? Any more bow in it and all you'll need is a couple arrows to shoot.

..........Widder

It's a GoPro Camera. Fisheye syndrome! Notice even the strings are bowed too.

I play.....I have a couple Les Paul's, Rickenbacker's, Gretch & Telecaster........the only thing I have on video is a rhythm track for Midnight Rambler.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUy82p9P89M&list=HL1391957408&feature=mh_lolz

Gotta get you one of these. You can lay down minutes of loops and layer over!!!

http://www.tcelectronic.com/ditto-looper/

I always wanted to play guitar but kept putting it off. My son plays pretty well and has accumulated a number of guitars, mostly by clever trading (that was his Martin that FJT played at last years Guns of August). He's become quite accomplished at working on guitars and buys or trades for guitars that have issues that he can fix.

About two years ago the local music store offered a twelve week adult beginners group class, so at 64 I took the plunge. I was hoping I'd prove to be a savant and just play great from the git-go but it didn't happen. When I told my son I was going to start playing he laughed and said "I can't wait until you find out how difficult this is!" Some encouragement.

I've progressed very slowly and mostly play rather simple songs with a few basic cords. Finding time to practice has been hard. Despite my extremely limited progress and skill level it's very relaxing to play with no one around and my Martin D35 has a beautiful sound that rewards even limited skills.

I have found that guitars are like guns and are easy to accumulate. When I decided I "needed" an electric I couldn't decide between a candy apple red American strat or a Les Paul fireburst studio so I bought both. Later, Doc Eels gave me a '91 Gibson SG he had laying around. I avoid guitar stores so nothing else follows me home, at least until I play better. However, I would like to pick up another, cheaper, acoustic that I can travel with someday.

Archived