SASS Wire Forum

Reshoots at monthly matches

Deuce Stevens SASS#55996

Simple question. Do you allow mechanical and ammo related reshoots at your monthly matches? If so do you set a limit per shooter? The goal of this thread is just to gather info. Not to debate whether it's right or wrong. But I doubt that's not gonna happen.LOL

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems around here..

If you've been shootin' a while.. It's kind of a no alibi match..

No reshoots...

New shooter... give 'em a break...

Give 'em a reshoot..

Rance ;)

Thinkin' it's been a while since we've had a match :blush:

Thinkin' I remember right :wacko:

We usually allow reshoots although some shooters take them and some don't . If a shooter continues with problems someone offers them a gun to barrow . we try to help all thats what keeps them coming back.

Woodfox :)

Most don't.

Maybe if only one posse and no one has a problem with letting them. Maybe

Two or more posse's. NO.

Seen problems when one posse allowed it and the other did not.

Then comes in. How bad a malfunction does it need to be to get one.

Some will play that one up even if they could get going and finish.

Most of the clubs that I shoot with, allow "courtesy re-shoots" at the monthly matches for either ammo or firearm malfunction. one per stage, two per match.

Only for a new CAS shooter's first or second time out. Getting their guns and ammo right is harder than most of them can believe until they have shot a few times.

Others - oh, well, better luck next match.

Now, if we're not keeping score and just practicing, that is a whole different story.

Good luck, GJ

A couple of the clubs I shoot at do give them for mechanical/ammo failure. One thing that I would like to see done in the event of a reshoot is that all misses carry over.

I saw a person get a reshoot once. He had three misses until the mechanical failure, and then shot the reshoot clean, and got the clean.

I am still fairly new, and still learning, but somehow they should get the misses that they earn.

Reshoots are sometimes allowed at a couple of local clubs depending upon the PM and the shooter. This can lead to issues since it isn't consistent. For example, not to long ago my 8 year old Buckaroo had a train wreck on his first stage of the day and was offered a reshoot by the PM (neither of us asked for it). He subsequently shot the stage clean. Shortly afterward the PM informed me that he had changed his mind about the reshoot saying it wouldn't be fair to the other shooters. At this point the Buckaroo has shot clean through 3 stages and I found myself hoping for a miss so I wouldn't have to tell him that he had no chance at a clean match. No luck, he finished clean and I had to go to the MD and explain what had happened and that my son would be expecting a clean match. The MD, much to my relief, gave him a clean match award.

I think it needs to be a club policy and must be published. I disagree with those who occasionally hand them out based on specific issues like age or experience of the shooter. It should be either a no alibi match or not, but not back and forth.

We will give a new shooter a break, and let them start over. My very first match, 2nd stage, borrowed shotgun maffunctioned. 1 barrel would not shoot. Another shooter broght me his shotgun to the line, exchanged them, and I continued on.

We once had a match where 3 shooters had a mechanical problem with first gun, after a couple of rounds downrange. first 2 the TO told them to start over. then TO changed, and same thing happened to the 3rd shooter with a problem. TO told him it was a no alibi match. He said OK, but was a little miffed about it. Consistancy is the key.

Deuce:

I shoot mainly at four different clubs. One of the clubs allows the shooter (one) re-shoot/re-start for a mechanical/ammo problem. The other three do not. The club that allows it is a One-man operation, and even though he basically follows the SASS rules, he makes all decisions on his range. When I attend his shoot I just put on the Chicken Suit and scratch with everyone else. I've never NOT had a great time at his matches. You know what they say........."when in Rome...."

Snakebite

IF it is going to be done as some are One Per Match.

It SOULD BE announced EVERY TIME at the safety meeting.

That way you don't have one posse doing it and another not.

Otherwise. It is just not fair.

Sure. Monthly may be just a monthly practice match for some of us.

But could be the biggest match that others go to all year.

Most of the clubs that I shoot with, allow "courtesy re-shoots" at the monthly matches for either ammo or firearm malfunction. one per stage, two per match.

To expand, most of the clubs in central and southern Ohio follow this rule at monthlies for ammo or mechanical problems only. A brain fart doesn't qualify. The rule is always announced at the safety meeting and evenly applied. As Dutch said, one per stage and two per match limits.

Wild Bunch is different, once a round has gone down range "no alibi."

Only for a new CAS shooter's first or second time out. Getting their guns and ammo right is harder than most of them can believe until they have shot a few times.

Others - oh, well, better luck next match.

Now, if we're not keeping score and just practicing, that is a whole different story.

Good luck, GJ

What GJ said, mostly.......nope. Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

At the clubs in this area the answer is no. Most announce at the beginning of the match that SASS rules apply. And no, that doesn't mean the "clubs can do anything they want 'rule.'"

Some of the local clubs hereabouts allow ONE reshoot for a mechanical malfunction per match.

NOT for ammo problems (e.g. squibs or split case issues)

We allow re-shoots at our monthly matches if it's the 1st firearm or a new or fairly new shooter. Few take them, but the new shooters are usually very grateful for the chance to try and fix a train wreck.

I have 2 clubs within 20 minutes of my house. One does, the other doesn't, generally speaking.

New shooters are always cut some slack at both clubs.

Fillmore

Simple question. Do you allow mechanical and ammo related reshoots at your monthly matches? If so do you set a limit per shooter? The goal of this thread is just to gather info. Not to debate whether it's right or wrong. But I doubt that's not gonna happen.LOL

I do not remember it happening to any experienced shooter but seen new shooters get reshoots where they had ammo or gun issues.

We allow 1 reshoot per match for ammo/gun malfunctions. I tried to get our club to eliminate ammo/gun reshoots and shoot by SASS rules but got voted down. I don't mind giving new shooters a reshoot but not for experienced shooters. Depending on how many reshoots a top shooter gets could greatly alter the end of the year awards.

…Too Tall...

delete

We do allow reshoots at our monthly matches. We really have not had a issue with people abusing it. So we have not put a limit on it. It probably is not a bad idea to put a limit on it just for that reason. The monthly match is about fun and promoting the sport. ;) We do let the shooters know that a reshoot is not given at the state level and above.

Cheatin'

Deuce, local shoots yes by all means give the reshoot one per match if the the person as issues there are enough cowboys to help them out with firearms or ammo its just a game

helping out someone is what we do. Rusty

Yes - at a MONTHLY

(and {most importantly} making sure the shooter understands this is a courtesy re shoot - not what is the norm nor should re shoots ever be expected)

We will offer a single re shoot for gun/ ammo/ mechanical issues.

None for shooter error.

Most shooters decline the offer.

In my opinion - Providing the shooter with the best possible experience outweighs the possibility of a shooters position changing.

If there is a 2nd occurrence within the match - generally the shooter will be offered different equipment and ammo.

Archived