SASS Wire Forum

Interesting. I'm thinking someone is gonna lose a badge.

Subdeacon Joe

I am a newspaper photographer. Some years ago in the city where I work, there was a fairly large house fire. FD and PD responded. Second alarm called in, engine arrived to find the secondary hydrant blocked by parked PD car. Battalion chief found officer, told him to move car, as hookup couldn't be made with his unit in place. "I'm busy! Go around it" was response. Battalion chief instructed firefighters to open the door of offending cruiser and route the hose directly through front seat. Officer started screaming "You can't.....". Battalion chief's response: "Go do your job, direct traffic!" By the way, the connections to hydrant can leak a LOT of spray. Radio consoles mounted in the front seat of a car do not like water.

See you down the trail......

My response would have been the keys are in it chief. At most accident and fire scenes we usually left the keys in the car in case they had to be moved.

I don't think "this is another case of the news promoting that the cop is totally wrong." Nor did I say WHO would lose a badge - could have been the firefighter for arguing with a cop. Could have been either one, or both.

SJ, if that was directed towards me I never meant to imply that you did. Sorry if you took it that way, I know you only posted the article.

However, the article and reporters words speak to the fact they think the cop was wrong. Anyone who reads the saloon knows I'll be the first one to say that the media sucks, especially when it comes to reporting ANYTHING law enforcement related. I won't stick directly up for the LEO as I don't know the facts but I will back him until I do.

In this incident I think they'll be lessons learned on both sides (hopefully)

JEL

I am a newspaper photographer. Some years ago in the city where I work, there was a fairly large house fire. FD and PD responded. Second alarm called in, engine arrived to find the secondary hydrant blocked by parked PD car. Battalion chief found officer, told him to move car, as hookup couldn't be made with his unit in place. "I'm busy! Go around it" was response. Battalion chief instructed firefighters to open the door of offending cruiser and route the hose directly through front seat. Officer started screaming "You can't.....". Battalion chief's response: "Go do your job, direct traffic!" By the way, the connections to hydrant can leak a LOT of spray. Radio consoles mounted in the front seat of a car do not like water.

See you down the trail......

Isn't blocking a fire hydrant something that can get you a ticket? For some big money?

Shoer, the public gets their opinion concerning LEO's, EMT's and Firefighters either from personal experience or from the News media, and we know the news media prints what sells the most papers or gets the most TV audience.

Whats the problem with what I added??

Tascosa :huh:

Shoer, the public gets their opinion concerning LEO's, EMT's and Firefighters either from personal experience or from the News media, and we know the news media prints what sells the most papers or gets the most TV audience.

Whats the problem with what I added??

Tascosa :huh:

nothing just making a comment

SJ, if that was directed towards me I never meant to imply that you did. Sorry if you took it that way, I know you only posted the article.

However, the article and reporters words speak to the fact they think the cop was wrong. Anyone who reads the saloon knows I'll be the first one to say that the media sucks, especially when it comes to reporting ANYTHING law enforcement related. I won't stick directly up for the LEO as I don't know the facts but I will back him until I do.

In this incident I think they'll be lessons learned on both sides (hopefully)

JEL

I didn't think you did, you were addressing the article itself. No sweat. I just liked your phrasing.

Yep but a cop car isn't 40 feet long and most cops disapear quickly before they are ordered to provide traffic control

It still was a true statement ;) many things beyond a fire truck can be the cause of a PIA.

GG

I'm just going to say that I don't believe I have ever posted anything that could be construed as "anti-law enforcement" on this, or any other forum, but since I seem to have been the most prolific poster on this thread in support of the firefighter, I kind of take that as a shot across my bow.

Other than that, I agree it would be nice to know the whole story, from both sides. Based on the statements of CHP, there will be a full investigation. Not that we will get the opportunity to see the results. Of course, the firefighters, from the chief to the union, are angry and dismayed.

Doc, no shots towards you, you didn't start this silly thread. Garbage like this hits the papers on a pretty frequent basis, with the sole intent of fueling those with a chip on their shoulder and/or an ax to grind. The front page headline is often followed up by a retraction on page 27. :)

BSD

It sounds like a lot of folks who were not there like to jump to conclusions. It also sounds like "two fools" collided and caused this mess by not seeing the big picture. The big picture is that they were both there to render aid, and solve a problem. This is seldom done correctly if you create a bigger problem.

Doc, no shots towards you, you didn't start this silly thread. Garbage like this hits the papers on a pretty frequent basis, with the sole intent of fueling those with a chip on their shoulder and/or an ax to grind. The front page headline is often followed up by a retraction on page 27. :)

BSD

I stand corrected, and you have my sincere apologies and my thanks. My dad often says that a retraction should be in the same spot, with the same space dedicated to it as the incorrect story.

I stand corrected, and you have my sincere apologies and my thanks. My dad often says that a retraction should be in the same spot, with the same space dedicated to it as the incorrect story.

Your Father is a wise man!

BSD

Your Father is a wise man!

BSD

I've learned a thing or two from him over the years, despite having a very strained relationship with him.

Archived