SASS Wire Forum

What is the opinion of a Century Arms PW87 Shotgun?

Sonoma Steve

Came across a good deal on a Lever Action Shotgun made by Century Arms, Model PW87. Does anyone have one, recommend one or is it a pass? Thanks for any info.

I bought one a couple of weeks ago. It's a blast to shoot! It's an interesting firearam. It's heavy but short for a repeating shotgun. The bad news is it comes with a load of baggage. It's innerds are rough. It works about as smooth as a corn sheller out of the box. You'll need to clean up and smooth out the action and take care of a couple of quality issues, most likely. Most send them off to a 87 doctor.

Coyote Cap has documented the problems and fixes. The is a series of YouTube videos a guy made as he slicked up the action on one.

http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=217724&hl=pw87

Here is a link to the topic I started. It may be of interest.

It's frustrating that known bugs have not been address at the factory. Looks like it'd only take a person or two at the end of the line to work the action and maybe run some dummy rounds through it and catch most of the problems before they go in the box.

I'm not regretting my purchase either. It's part of the challenge to figure it out and make it run. It's doing pretty good now and there are a couple of tweeks yet to try. Mostly the last hull will something hang on the extractors.

I bought one a few months ago and love it. Mine worked stiff at first but after playing with it for a while it has really smoothed up. Maybe I was lucky but mine is a gem. The only complaint I have about them is the company name is scratched across both sides of the receiver. I'm thinking of taking it to a good engraver and having them put some covering engraving on it to hid the company name.

For the price I paid on this one, I sure can't beat it.

I just bought a" Dominion Arms" 1887 T2 (Terminator 2) 18 1/2 barrel. It was delivered yesterday .It came with the standard stock and a pistol grip. But I am not Arnold. It came from Canadaammo in BC.

I had an IAC gun smithed by Lassiter so I was curious about this latest model.

It is quite stiff and has a few issues with feeding from the mag. Overall I am pleased with the gun. There is no apparent China stamp on this firearm.but it does have Dominion Arms and the usual serials. gauage, shell length etc. It is a dark gun with dark wood that if you look closley you can actually see wood grain.

The gun will go to Roger Katanka at RK Custom Guns (Dark International) Dark imports many models from China. Roger has worked on many because generaly they are rough out of the box .He was told that the 1887 model is being produced at one plant from equipment moved from the original factory. Who knows?

When finished I will dispatch.

Stoney

I saw one a new shooter brought to the CAS training we were providing for a handful of youngsters. It appeared to be stiff as he functioned it and the extractors tended to hang onto the empties. It could be a good piece that just needs a little attention. I feel guns should work out of the box. They might be stiff or rough, but they should function. Many of the guns used in this sport do get smoothed up and that hasn't slowed the sales of them.

Howdy

I posted on Feb 7 that I bought a model 1887 imported by Dominion Arms

I was contactedf by the gunsmith who just finished the action work.

He said the action is smooth, it loads easily and fuctions correctly. He said he was surpised it ejected so well.

I get it back on Saturday.

Even my original didn't always feed, extract, and eject if I didn't run it like I stole it. I played with it in matches for a couple of years and sent it to Lassiter. It is much smoother now but you still have to run it hard. I also have a Lassiter Chiappa and, while smooth, also has to be run hard. These are cowboy guns that definitely need a lever wrap. :)

http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=218357

We have 3 topics going on the PW87. TDodge7 has one with cracked frame. There is some speculation that the frames may be cast iron.

Not Iron........

LG

• 6 months later...

Not to stir the fire of a dead thread, but I recently picked up a Century Arms P87. I love lever guns and needed something in 12 gauge. Since I understand you get what you pay for. $300 only buys a cheap Chinese POS. But it is only for fun in this case. I have done enough research to understand about most of the major issues with the extraction and sights, but mine doesn't seem to close up tight with the lever to the stock/tang. Anyone have any thoughts to tighten this up? The bolt is tight against the chamber so the whole assembly can't move any more, I had a couple of thoughts; first I could grind a bid out of the pivot joint alloying for a little more movement from the action. but I am concerned with this since it should only have so much... Then there is the tried and true method of use of a torch... heat and bend the lever assembly so it is tight...

any help is appreciated.

thanks,

Mike

Archived