SASS Wire Forum

Uberti Top Break (Schofield)

J. W. Winchester

Driftwood, do you know how they perform in .44-40 with BP? They sure are an awesome looking' pistol!! I had a pair in .45 Colt when I was shooting smokeless. Sold 'em, now I'm looking at a .44-40. Thanks for any info, Rye :)

Don't own one so I can't tell you. I do know that most shooters encounter binding because the shortened cylinder bushing does not protect the cylinder pin from fouling blasted out of the barrel cylinder gap the way the original bushing design did. Lots of anecdotal stories. My originals shoot Black Powder just fine because that's what they were designed to shoot. Some shooters seem to make out OK. Be sure you use a bullet with LOTS of BP compatible bullet lube. I suggest the Big Lube bullets.

You can read up on the differences in the bushings here:

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,40031.0.html

A lot of us have never even read about how to re-arch flat springs. Would you share your method with us?

It is a trial and error thing. I learned about re-arching springs long ago in the automotive industry where I made my living. Several guys heated their springs to lower their old cars. Soon, they'ed have trouble with broken or colapsed springs. I took my project car to a spring shop and watched as they removed the springs and bent them in a huge press. Light bulb time!!!

I take a couple of small punches and chuck them up in a vise, close enough together to facilitate bending the main spring gently, a little at a time. I do one gun at a time in baby steps, installing, testing and repeating the process until I obtain the desired result. Don't kink the spring. If you go too far, (it happens) you can straighten the spring slightly buy laying it on a flat surface with the arch up and tap it with a small hammer. I use small strips of leather between the spring and the punches to prevent marring the surface of the spring. I use a small hammer with a piece of leather wrapped around the head or glued to the hammer face for straitening.

When you're satisfied with the first spring's performance, repeat the process with the next spring. This time you can work a little faster because you have the first spring to go by, and when you're close you can make fine adjustments.

Edit: If you have big ol' ham hands like mine you can bend most springs with your thumb. For those not so endowed, a pair of small channel lock pliers and another small strip of leather is the ticket. Remember!! BABY STEPS!! A little can go a LONG way!!

Driftwood, do you know how they perform in .44-40 with BP? They sure are an awesome looking' pistol!! I had a pair in .45 Colt when I was shooting smokeless. Sold 'em, now I'm looking at a .44-40. Thanks for any info, Rye :)

I've got both 45 and 44-40 and they are pretty much equal using Black.

When I used them in matches, before loading, I'd stick my thumbnail "into" the bushing area and spin the cylinder to keep the buildup down. I also used a type of load the younger oldtimers often used that shot a bit cleaner, so might have had an edge there too.

I have a pair of the Smith and Wesson Schofields that were made in the custom shop around 2000. Beautiful unique guns that will only continue to rise in value. I have the presentation cases for both of them. Gonna shoot them more this year. Feel really fortunate to own them.

I have a pair of the Smith and Wesson Schofields that were made in the custom shop around 2000. Beautiful unique guns that will only continue to rise in value. I have the presentation cases for both of them. Gonna shoot them more this year. Feel really fortunate to own them.

Forgive my ignorance, but if they're that unique, should you be shooting them?

It is a trial and error thing. I learned about re-arching springs long ago in the automotive industry where I made my living. Several guys heated their springs to lower their old cars. Soon, they'ed have trouble with broken or colapsed springs. I took my project car to a spring shop and watched as they removed the springs and bent them in a huge press. Light bulb time!!!

I take a couple of small punches and chuck them up in a vise, close enough together to facilitate bending the main spring gently, a little at a time. I do one gun at a time in baby steps, installing, testing and repeating the process until I obtain the desired result. Don't kink the spring. If you go too far, (it happens) you can straighten the spring slightly buy laying it on a flat surface with the arch up and tap it with a small hammer. I use small strips of leather between the spring and the punches to prevent marring the surface of the spring. I use a small hammer with a piece of leather wrapped around the head or glued to the hammer face for straitening.

When you're satisfied with the first spring's performance, repeat the process with the next spring. This time you can work a little faster because you have the first spring to go by, and when you're close you can make fine adjustments.

Edit: If you have big ol' ham hands like mine you can bend most springs with your thumb. For those not so endowed, a pair of small channel lock pliers and another small strip of leather is the ticket. Remember!! BABY STEPS!! A little can go a LONG way!!

Thanks for that info.

Best kind... free and priceless

Some would not. But they are my dream guns, sorta like some would think of a pair of Colts. I have been intrigued with the Schofield since I was a child. When I had a chance to buy a pair of actual Smith and Wesson's I jumped on it. In my mind they deserve to be shot and were made to do so. And while I could not afford to replace the pair I have they are not that valuable in terms of $$ in the gun world. About $1600-2000 a piece. Lot of money to me but not so much to a true collector. I also intend to have them engraved someday and ivory or giraffe bone grips made as well. Sort of a progressing project over the years.

If you can't shoot it, why have it?

Some would not. But they are my dream guns, sorta like some would think of a pair of Colts. I have been intrigued with the Schofield since I was a child. When I had a chance to buy a pair of actual Smith and Wesson's I jumped on it. In my mind they deserve to be shot and were made to do so. And while I could not afford to replace the pair I have they are not that valuable in terms of $$ in the gun world. About $1600-2000 a piece. Lot of money to me but not so much to a true collector. I also intend to have them engraved someday and ivory or giraffe bone grips made as well. Sort of a progressing project over the years.

:thumbup:

And some will never understand.

Got a couple of dream guns. Everybody talks about living their dream.... yeah....

If you can't shoot it, why have it?

I agree, but many people buy collector's items and keep them pristine for resale value. My grandpa bought a Winchester Centennial '66 with a gold plated receiver in 1966 and used it in some sort of deal a few years later. I drooled over that gun, but he had no interest in shooting it - it was strictly for horse-trading.

OTOH, my custom made blunderbuss was about $2800 and my early English doglock trade musket was $3000 and they are both guns I use and shoot because I know I will never never get my money back on them - might as well have as much fun as I can with them! ;)

http://www.sharepointcharlie.org/SiteAssets/Coachgun_1_small.jpg

http://www.sharepointcharlie.org/SiteAssets/Coachgun_2_small.jpg

http://www.sharepointcharlie.org/SiteAssets/Coachgun_4_small.jpg

Howdy

They're not all that rare. That model was produced from 2000 through 2002. I don't have figures for how many were made, but they pop up on auction sites all the time.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=391523653

I shoot my antiques in CAS on occasion. Not every match, and I shoot them slowly and deliberately. A lot of us feel that if you don't shoot a gun, there is no point in having it. Those guns that don't get shot are called safe queens.

Howdy

They're not all that rare. That model was produced from 2000 through 2002. I don't have figures for how many were made, but they pop up on auction sites all the time.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=391523653

I shoot my antiques in CAS on occasion. Not every match, and I shoot them slowly and deliberately. A lot of us feel that if you don't shoot a gun, there is no point in having it. Those guns that don't get shot are called safe queens.

Well, they are rare to me Mr. Driftwood. Took quite a bit for me to get the funds to acquire the one let alone a mate for it. Here is a pick of one of mine http://smg.photobucket.com/user/deucestevens45/media/SWSchofield.jpg.html?sort=3&o=58

Also here is what Roy Jinks has to say about production numbers.

The Performance Center Schofield 2000 was introduced at the January 2000 SHOT Show.

2600 7" blued versions were made from 2000-2002.

200 Wells Fargo Express 5" versions were made split between blue and nickel.

151 150th Anniversary gold embellished 7" Schofields were also made in 2002.

That totals at just 2951. They were hand assembled and many parts (including the barrels with their unique contours) were virtually hand finished.

Now, in modern day gun production numbers that's pretty low.

Archived