SASS Wire Forum

Unpopular Truths of the Old West....

Rancho Roy

the way it should be today

Lots of people carried concealed weapons, so potential robbers were always vulnerable. Criminals don’t want to get hurt doing their criminal acts, so they aren't as likely to pick prey that appears willing to fight back.

I heard an FBI agent speaking about the average take from a bank robbery being on the decline and the total annual take being much lower than in year's past. He quoted actual numbers but I forget them. He said most modern day bank robbers could be candidates for the Darwin Awards. The real money is in cyber crime to the tune of billions of dollars per year. The smart crooks gravitate to cyber crime, the dumb ones rob banks.

I worked for the Dept. of Justice for a while. During that time, the average take from a bank robbery was 1800 bucks. For which you get 15 years time if you used a note, 20 if you used a gun and 25 if you fired the gun. Lousy wages, really. Robbing banks never has paid very well over time.

Coffinmaker

the way it should be today

Lots of people carried concealed weapons, so potential robbers were always vulnerable. Criminals don’t want to get hurt doing their criminal acts, so they aren't as likely to pick prey that appears willing to fight back.

Even Laura Ingalls Wilder ("Little House On The Prairie") carried concealed...sweet little old Laura! Her home is now a museum in Mansfield, Missouri, and her .22 revolver is exhibited there.

Archived